Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

reflexology

Posted by Dawn H on 1/19/01 at 10:17 (036858)

Someone directed me to a reflexologist to ease the pain from plantar faciitis. I walked out of the door with a $134 bill for minerals, vitamins, etc. She claims my system has too much acid. She massaged my foot (I always thought a massage would feel GOOD, but Ooooh baby, it hurt!)
Am I wasting my money on this? Any advice?

Re: reflexology

Rebecca D on 1/24/01 at 20:41 (037272)

Dawn,
I miss my massage therapy! I got much needed relief from having my foot massaged...I can now move my toes again. They were 'stuck', and I think it was from PF. If it hurts a lot, she is being to rough. Ask for a softer touch, or go to another facility if they cannot accomodate your request. You should never be in a lot of pain. Depending on the degree of severity of your PF, there will be some tenderness. A trick my doctor gave me...and I thought it was stupid, but I tried it and it helps. Remember the children's game of 'Jacks'? He told me to get some jacks and spread them on the floor, then with my bare foot, pick up the jacks one by one and move them to another pile, using only the foot. It really helped release the tension in the foot.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to tell the reflexologist she is massaging too hard...your comfort is first.

Rebecca

Re: reflexology

Rebecca D on 1/24/01 at 20:41 (037272)

Dawn,
I miss my massage therapy! I got much needed relief from having my foot massaged...I can now move my toes again. They were 'stuck', and I think it was from PF. If it hurts a lot, she is being to rough. Ask for a softer touch, or go to another facility if they cannot accomodate your request. You should never be in a lot of pain. Depending on the degree of severity of your PF, there will be some tenderness. A trick my doctor gave me...and I thought it was stupid, but I tried it and it helps. Remember the children's game of 'Jacks'? He told me to get some jacks and spread them on the floor, then with my bare foot, pick up the jacks one by one and move them to another pile, using only the foot. It really helped release the tension in the foot.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to tell the reflexologist she is massaging too hard...your comfort is first.

Rebecca