Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT and NEUROMA

Posted by Barbara TX on 1/19/01 at 10:28 (036860)

Okay wonderful doctors, old and new... I have a theoretical question. I know that ESWT can't be done in cases where there is nerve involvement, but why? If it might damage nerves, wouldn't it be the idea treatment for nerve tumors or enlargements? Just curious, and thanks. B.

Re: ESWT and NEUROMA

Dr. Biehler on 1/19/01 at 20:25 (036890)

Nerves are quite something unto themselves. They can have their own wa of responding to an artificially caused trama.If you are using the trama to end the nerve, the results might be worse than what you started with. We use RSD on these pages a lot to give an example of what I mean. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/19/01 at 21:28 (036898)

I though is that since ESWT is a healing procedure as opposed to a destructive procedure, in its present formatt no use. I have talk to some doctors in Euruope about this because this is what I though . No reponse so far.

cindyp on 1/19/01 at 22:46 (036906)

Yes I asked about this months ago. Wish it would work on me. WAHHHHHH

Re: ESWT and NEUROMA - for Cindy

Barbara TX on 1/20/01 at 14:21 (036941)

Cindy - how are you treating your neuromas, and have you had any success? B.

cindyp on 1/20/01 at 17:50 (036952)

Well the consensus seems to be that surgery is the route to take.That or grin and bear it and be buzzed up on medicine which is not even an option I will consider.

SuzanneK on 1/20/01 at 19:06 (036963)

I didn't have surgery for my neuromas (I had 2 in the same foot I had a partial pf release on in June 2000.) Instead, I had a series of 7 4% alchohol injections into the nerve. That did the trick for me. I had dramatic improvement between the 4th and 6th injections. I dreaded the injections because of the pain involved in receiving them, but it sure beat another surgery on my foot! Try the injections first - you can always have surgery if they don't work.

cindyp on 1/20/01 at 19:14 (036964)

After having 8 doctors including dr. zuckerman looking at the old mri's and such all of them pretty much feel i need a doctor specializing in foot reconsturctive surgery? So I guess that's pretty much the only option nobody has mentioned the alcohol injections. Maybe because of size and location of the neuroma. Almost 1/2' and inch in diameter and in the heel not between the toes.

Helene M on 1/20/01 at 19:46 (036966)

What are alcohol injections & what do they do to the nerve?

cindyp on 1/20/01 at 20:39 (036969)

From what I understand (correct me if wrong) they basically kill the nerve.

SuzanneK on 1/20/01 at 21:03 (036971)

Alchoho injections act as a sclerosing (did I spell that right?) agent and destroy the offending nerve that is sending those pain signals. I don have some numbness at the base of my toes, but it does not impair my walking, etc.

Dr. Biehler on 1/19/01 at 20:25 (036890)

Nerves are quite something unto themselves. They can have their own wa of responding to an artificially caused trama.If you are using the trama to end the nerve, the results might be worse than what you started with. We use RSD on these pages a lot to give an example of what I mean. Dr. B.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/19/01 at 21:28 (036898)

I though is that since ESWT is a healing procedure as opposed to a destructive procedure, in its present formatt no use. I have talk to some doctors in Euruope about this because this is what I though . No reponse so far.

cindyp on 1/19/01 at 22:46 (036906)

Yes I asked about this months ago. Wish it would work on me. WAHHHHHH

Barbara TX on 1/20/01 at 14:21 (036941)

Cindy - how are you treating your neuromas, and have you had any success? B.

cindyp on 1/20/01 at 17:50 (036952)

Well the consensus seems to be that surgery is the route to take.That or grin and bear it and be buzzed up on medicine which is not even an option I will consider.

SuzanneK on 1/20/01 at 19:06 (036963)

I didn't have surgery for my neuromas (I had 2 in the same foot I had a partial pf release on in June 2000.) Instead, I had a series of 7 4% alchohol injections into the nerve. That did the trick for me. I had dramatic improvement between the 4th and 6th injections. I dreaded the injections because of the pain involved in receiving them, but it sure beat another surgery on my foot! Try the injections first - you can always have surgery if they don't work.

cindyp on 1/20/01 at 19:14 (036964)

After having 8 doctors including dr. zuckerman looking at the old mri's and such all of them pretty much feel i need a doctor specializing in foot reconsturctive surgery? So I guess that's pretty much the only option nobody has mentioned the alcohol injections. Maybe because of size and location of the neuroma. Almost 1/2' and inch in diameter and in the heel not between the toes.

Helene M on 1/20/01 at 19:46 (036966)

What are alcohol injections & what do they do to the nerve?

cindyp on 1/20/01 at 20:39 (036969)

From what I understand (correct me if wrong) they basically kill the nerve.

SuzanneK on 1/20/01 at 21:03 (036971)

Alchoho injections act as a sclerosing (did I spell that right?) agent and destroy the offending nerve that is sending those pain signals. I don have some numbness at the base of my toes, but it does not impair my walking, etc.