Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

steriod injections

Posted by Jonathan on 1/19/01 at 17:50 (036883)

What are the pro's and con's of cordio-steriod injecitons. Are they dangerous? Do they provide short or long term relieve?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: steriod injections

Dr. Biehler on 1/19/01 at 20:34 (036891)

Steroid injections can do wonders! They can breack down adhesions, reduce inflamation, get joints working again, reduce bursa sacks, help with scars, the list goes on. They are very powerfull. Care has to be used in the judgement of where, how much and what type is used. Even with carefull judement, problems can happen.. The main problem we try to do every thing to avoid is the spontainious rupture of a tendon following the injection. As the steroid helps an area to heal it is also weakening the tendons,etc in the area. Steroids have lives of a few hours to many weeks but there results can go on for years. Dr. B.

Jonathan on 1/20/01 at 01:40 (036917)

Dear Dr. B,

From what you have observed in your practise and in medical journals, etc how often do problems arise with steriod injections? Is tendon rupture common? While the steriods weaken the tendons initially, can you stengthen them up again? I ask this because I have some crepitus in my left wrist due to intersection syndrome but no other symptoms currently. Could I more safely break down scar with cross fiber (friction) massage?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Dr. Biehler on 1/20/01 at 18:34 (036955)

If it were my wrist, there would not be any steroid going into it. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/19/01 at 20:34 (036891)

Steroid injections can do wonders! They can breack down adhesions, reduce inflamation, get joints working again, reduce bursa sacks, help with scars, the list goes on. They are very powerfull. Care has to be used in the judgement of where, how much and what type is used. Even with carefull judement, problems can happen.. The main problem we try to do every thing to avoid is the spontainious rupture of a tendon following the injection. As the steroid helps an area to heal it is also weakening the tendons,etc in the area. Steroids have lives of a few hours to many weeks but there results can go on for years. Dr. B.

Jonathan on 1/20/01 at 01:40 (036917)

Dear Dr. B,

From what you have observed in your practise and in medical journals, etc how often do problems arise with steriod injections? Is tendon rupture common? While the steriods weaken the tendons initially, can you stengthen them up again? I ask this because I have some crepitus in my left wrist due to intersection syndrome but no other symptoms currently. Could I more safely break down scar with cross fiber (friction) massage?

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Dr. Biehler on 1/20/01 at 18:34 (036955)

If it were my wrist, there would not be any steroid going into it. Dr. B.