Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What more can I do?

Posted by Shannon L on 1/19/01 at 18:33 (036886)

Hi. I have been told I have tarcel tunnel. What are my options to correct this. I have had phy. therapy, injections, oral pills, and nothing helps. I am now in a cast until I see the neuoligist. Thank you for any advise.

Re: What more can I do?

Dr. Biehler on 1/19/01 at 20:39 (036892)

I think your average doctor is ill prepared to go to court as an expert witness. Not be cause they aren't, it is just that the expert witness experiance requires a whole set of training in the legal ease we have not had. There are competent doctors that are trained to make the reports and defend them in court. The court apperances and supinans can distroy a docotrs practice by tying up all his time. That is called legal tactics. Dr. B.

Dr. B.,My comment was for tracy,Wrong area on 1/19/01 at 20:42 (036893)

My comment was for tracy. I posted under the wrong address. Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/19/01 at 20:39 (036892)

I think your average doctor is ill prepared to go to court as an expert witness. Not be cause they aren't, it is just that the expert witness experiance requires a whole set of training in the legal ease we have not had. There are competent doctors that are trained to make the reports and defend them in court. The court apperances and supinans can distroy a docotrs practice by tying up all his time. That is called legal tactics. Dr. B.

Dr. B.,My comment was for tracy,Wrong area on 1/19/01 at 20:42 (036893)

My comment was for tracy. I posted under the wrong address. Dr. B.

AnneS on 1/09/08 at 07:57 (241734)

I'm kind of surprised your doc recommended motion control shoes. I have really high arches and I've been told to wear neutral. Just something you may look at.

mrst on 1/11/08 at 19:30 (241865)

Be very careful as you progress on any further treatment. You sound so much like my son a few years ago. He has since tried some fancy shock therapy, 3 surguries and each time he was given high hopes about success everytime...but each time he came out worse. Just be very careful.My son lost all confidence in the medical community. I was on this board to try to find someone to recommend a respected doctor that might give us hope again. My son is ready to try again. He is actually in a wheel chair most of the time. He is a public school teacher and his job requires more movement that he can manage without his chair. He tried a power chair for a while, but decided he needed the exercise from a regular wheel chair. We feel like he has tried everything...hope there is someone out there that can help him. Just be very, very careful. He wishes he had never gone to a doctor.

BritaT on 1/28/08 at 02:53 (242454)

I am responding because I also have high arches and flexible feet and have been troubled for 3&1/2 years. I have seen several MDs, podiatrists, massage therapists, physiotherapists, an osteopath, and a chiropractor. I have not had a cortisone injection because there is no research to show they are anything but temporary (article in New England Journal of Medicine) and too many can weaken the area and cause a rupture (generally maximum 3 per area).

It may be of use for you to know that because I am very flexible throughout my entire body, the osteopathic physician and one physiotherapist suggested I may have a connective tissue disorder. There are some severe ones, but there also seems to be something called Joint Hypermobility Syndrome which doesn't have the severe consequences. I have not been able to get an accurate diagnosis because my GP ruled it out completely but was unwilling to give any suggestions as to why I injure so easily (sprained ankles, patellar-femoral syndrome, tennis elbow, etc.) I'm just saying that if some of this sounds like you, it may be something to consider. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the 'magic bullet' to help me, but I would be cautious of ESWT because someone with a connective tissue disorder might not heal as well. I also have varicose veins, so the thought is the poor circulation might be slowing down the healing.

I now have semi-rigid (firm, but a little spongey), custom orthotics and have found them a better fit for my high arches than the really hard ones, but improvement is very, very slow (1&1/2 years so far). I've been told to stick to a neutral shoe. If the orthotics fit you properly, you shouldn't need more. It may take trial and error (and money, unfortunately) to find the right thing for you. I never got exactly the same story from any of the six podiatrists I've seen, and the first one made a really bad pair that probably contributed to me deteriorating to the level I'm at.

JenC on 8/07/08 at 22:27 (249030)

I also have flexible high arches, I was beginning to think nobody else did and I also have realized I have hypermobile joints, as well as scoliosis, no suprises there to these combinations. I injured some tendons and ligaments and have never been able to heal properly. I have a lot of back pain also and hamstring tendinopathy, painful loose knees, am wobbly going down a flight of stairs. I would like to know more about what kind of orthotics worked for you, do you know the name of the lab that made them and what material? I was wearing the hard plastic and then I just felt like it was too hard and stopped. I made the mistake of trying to go without orthotics being summer and all and wanting to be more fashionable and wear sandals, but then this week I went back to wearing an older pair of orthotics that don't look like any other orthotics I've see doctors make. It was made by this self-proclaimed problem foot expert at an expensive problem foot shoe store in Manhattan. He claims celebrities come to him. He made it out of cork and leather so after a short time though it had cracks in it so I'm wondering how sturdy it is and if it needs to be replaced often. But it is unique in that it is built up on the side of the foot so if put into a firm shoe it does provide anti-pronation support whereas my other arch supports only went under the arch and never had an edge going over the inner side of the foot so although they held up the arch somewhat there was nothing to stop your foot from trying to go over the side of the support esp in shoes that were not terribly supportive. But these are really big and clunky, great if you wear sneakers every day, but I wanted to look nicer for once in my life, not always stuck in jeans and sneakers. What am I supposed to wear to dress up if I can't walk without orthotics and if my orthotics are so big? So I was wondering if there are other types I could wear at least once in a while to switch up to at least a slighlty less clunky shoe than a running shoe so I can a dress or skirt or dress pants.