Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Why not put patient's in a cast after EPF surgery?

Posted by Amy on 1/20/01 at 00:36 (036912)

My question is this: why don't doctors put patient's in a cast after EPF surgery? It's very tuff and painful to get around for at least the first
6 weeks. I am 13 weeks post op now and my ankle hurts, both knees and my lower back hurt. These areas have had to compensate for my foot. I have taken Dr. Z's recommendation of a heel support, which is helping very much -

Re: Why not put patient's in a cast after EPF surgery?

Amy on 1/20/01 at 00:41 (036913)

..oops! hit the wrong button - didn't finish my question. Meant say thank you to Dr. Z for his recommending the ANKLE support. Do you think the ankle pain will go away by using this every day and how will I know if the deltoid tendon is damaged?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/01 at 09:30 (036995)

This is a very good idea. A slipper cast is what you can use. The most recent studies for the EPF surgery ( which in my opinion isn't a sound procedure) healed faster after three weeks in some kind of cast. The cutting of the plantar fascia distal to the heel and not at the insertion isn't the approach that I would do. There are some great results with EPF but must avoid the disruption of the plantar fascia if possible. So after cutting the plantar fascia should have at least a slipper cast if the patients are in pain .

Amy on 1/20/01 at 00:41 (036913)

..oops! hit the wrong button - didn't finish my question. Meant say thank you to Dr. Z for his recommending the ANKLE support. Do you think the ankle pain will go away by using this every day and how will I know if the deltoid tendon is damaged?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/01 at 09:30 (036995)

This is a very good idea. A slipper cast is what you can use. The most recent studies for the EPF surgery ( which in my opinion isn't a sound procedure) healed faster after three weeks in some kind of cast. The cutting of the plantar fascia distal to the heel and not at the insertion isn't the approach that I would do. There are some great results with EPF but must avoid the disruption of the plantar fascia if possible. So after cutting the plantar fascia should have at least a slipper cast if the patients are in pain .