Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nerves in PF area/ankle?

Posted by Nancy N on 1/20/01 at 12:48 (036938)

Dear Docs--

I have an area of swelling between my ankle bone and the spot where my PF hurts most (I confess, I am not sure where the 'insertion point' is, but I think that might be the spot for me since it's the first place every doc pushes to see if I'll scream--it's #8, 'front inside heel,' on Scott's survey diagram). It's been there for over a year now, though the smount of the swelling does vary from day to day (and depending on the time of day).

This summer I had acupuncture, and one of the needles went into this area. When the needle was inserted, it felt like fireworks going off in my foot. The acupuncturist seemed to think this was a good thing, but I'll confess it made me nervous.

In the months since the acupuncture (I stopped going in August, when I signed up for the OrthoWave study), I've noticed that I have some pain in the swollen area. I think my actual PF pain is much better, but sometimes, mostly while driving, but not always, I have some pain--nothing constant or debilitating, but enough to make me wonder--in that area. It's very close to the PF area, but when I stop to think about it, I can tell the difference because the pain is a little different than the PF pain.

So I'm wondering--is there a nerve in that area that could have been aggravated by the acupuncture (or maybe by the swelling)? I am still pretty sure I didn't get the real OrthoWave treatment, so I don't know what, if any, effect the ESWT can/will have on that area if/when I get it. Is there anything you can recommend I do for it?

Thanks much for your help. If you need more information from me, please just let me know.

Nancy

Re: Nerves in PF area/ankle?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/01 at 17:35 (037024)

I would think it is very difficult to hit a nerve with the needle that was used for acupuncture.

doctors every day inject with a larger needle or at least one the same size in that area.

The physical examination that you received for the orthowave study would of ruled out any nerve damage . So this is probaby a tendonitis or part of the plantar fasciitis. Or the one in million nerve irritation. Very doubtful about the nerve involved.

I would used at least an ankle support to remove the stress in the area.
Has any doctor examined the area and what was their impression.

What have you done for this in the past. A heel cup may help the problem

Nancy N on 1/22/01 at 08:33 (037068)

Dr Z--

Dr Ehrlich looked at the area the last time I went for an OrthoWave follow-up and didn't seem concerned by it at all. He said he thinks the reason it hurts sometimes while I'm driving is that the fluid builds up in that area because the foot is essentially in a stationery position. Occasionally I've noticed it a little while walking, though, which is why I thought maybe it was more than his original analysis. I do think it's odd that I never noticed anything there (other than the swelling, but no pain of any sort) until the acupuncture. I think I may have asked my ex-pod about it before, since I always thought the swelling was not a good thing, and my PT, too, but nobody has ever seemed too worried about it.

I haven't really done anything specifically for this area in the past--it's only just within the last week or so that I started to wonder if I should be worried about it at all. I do have the Futuro ankle braces, so I can try that (though they make my shoes too tight to wear during the day, so I can't wear them all day). I have the Acu-Flex and I do use that. I have some nice cushiony Spencos in my shoes.

Thanks much for your input!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/21/01 at 17:35 (037024)

I would think it is very difficult to hit a nerve with the needle that was used for acupuncture.

doctors every day inject with a larger needle or at least one the same size in that area.

The physical examination that you received for the orthowave study would of ruled out any nerve damage . So this is probaby a tendonitis or part of the plantar fasciitis. Or the one in million nerve irritation. Very doubtful about the nerve involved.

I would used at least an ankle support to remove the stress in the area.
Has any doctor examined the area and what was their impression.

What have you done for this in the past. A heel cup may help the problem

Nancy N on 1/22/01 at 08:33 (037068)

Dr Z--

Dr Ehrlich looked at the area the last time I went for an OrthoWave follow-up and didn't seem concerned by it at all. He said he thinks the reason it hurts sometimes while I'm driving is that the fluid builds up in that area because the foot is essentially in a stationery position. Occasionally I've noticed it a little while walking, though, which is why I thought maybe it was more than his original analysis. I do think it's odd that I never noticed anything there (other than the swelling, but no pain of any sort) until the acupuncture. I think I may have asked my ex-pod about it before, since I always thought the swelling was not a good thing, and my PT, too, but nobody has ever seemed too worried about it.

I haven't really done anything specifically for this area in the past--it's only just within the last week or so that I started to wonder if I should be worried about it at all. I do have the Futuro ankle braces, so I can try that (though they make my shoes too tight to wear during the day, so I can't wear them all day). I have the Acu-Flex and I do use that. I have some nice cushiony Spencos in my shoes.

Thanks much for your input!