Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cream applied steriods

Posted by Jonathan on 1/20/01 at 15:17 (036949)

Dear Dr. B,

To minimize the risk of tendon rupture, can cordio-steriods be applied using creams rather than injections? Are you aware of this, and do you think it is effective? I would assume no matter what, it is unlikely to be as effective as injections.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Re: cream applied steriods

Dr. Biehler on 1/20/01 at 18:45 (036956)

Steroids can be delivered in cream and can be driven deep through the skin using phonoporesis. The steroids that are injected would arrive in a much stronger dose. Dr. B.

Jonathan on 1/21/01 at 17:31 (037022)

Dear Dr. B,

What are the risks of cream applied steriods? Are they precritption? Would you ever allow your wrist to be treated with them if you had tendinitis? Can you combine them with cross fiber massage?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Dr. Biehler on 1/21/01 at 17:40 (037026)

Cortizone cream is a steroid. In low doses, ie 1%, you can buy it 'over the counter'. It is used for itch control or dematitis. At 2.5% it is a perscription product and is sometimes used with ultra sound to help with heel pain and reduce inflamation. I do not think you would be indanger of a tendon rupture using the cream but long term treatment will start to effect your skin. Any kind of steroid treatment you are thinking of should be discussed with your doctor. Dr. B.

jonathan on 1/21/01 at 19:04 (037032)

Deares Dr. B,

Firstly, THANKS for your help! Secondly, although i have no inflamation in my wrist, I am interested in the cordisone because i want to reduce some of the the swelling on the tendon sheath, (since i had tenosynovitis). Maybe my problem is a swollen bursea sack. This is the result of the intersection syndrome I've had for 7 years. Anyhow, I want to help the tendons glide a little easier and reduce scarring, (i want long-term results). I was wondering if the cream would (fairly safely)reduce the crepitus in the wrist.

Thanks again!
Jon

Dr. Biehler on 1/24/01 at 10:05 (037206)

I would try it!! Dr. B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/20/01 at 18:45 (036956)

Steroids can be delivered in cream and can be driven deep through the skin using phonoporesis. The steroids that are injected would arrive in a much stronger dose. Dr. B.

Jonathan on 1/21/01 at 17:31 (037022)

Dear Dr. B,

What are the risks of cream applied steriods? Are they precritption? Would you ever allow your wrist to be treated with them if you had tendinitis? Can you combine them with cross fiber massage?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Dr. Biehler on 1/21/01 at 17:40 (037026)

Cortizone cream is a steroid. In low doses, ie 1%, you can buy it 'over the counter'. It is used for itch control or dematitis. At 2.5% it is a perscription product and is sometimes used with ultra sound to help with heel pain and reduce inflamation. I do not think you would be indanger of a tendon rupture using the cream but long term treatment will start to effect your skin. Any kind of steroid treatment you are thinking of should be discussed with your doctor. Dr. B.

jonathan on 1/21/01 at 19:04 (037032)

Deares Dr. B,

Firstly, THANKS for your help! Secondly, although i have no inflamation in my wrist, I am interested in the cordisone because i want to reduce some of the the swelling on the tendon sheath, (since i had tenosynovitis). Maybe my problem is a swollen bursea sack. This is the result of the intersection syndrome I've had for 7 years. Anyhow, I want to help the tendons glide a little easier and reduce scarring, (i want long-term results). I was wondering if the cream would (fairly safely)reduce the crepitus in the wrist.

Thanks again!
Jon

Dr. Biehler on 1/24/01 at 10:05 (037206)

I would try it!! Dr. B.