Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS/HEEL SPURS & PANTER FASC.

Posted by KAREN V on 1/20/01 at 18:14 (036953)

DEAR DR.
I HAVE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS AND FOR A YEAR NOW I HAVE BEEN TOE WALKING AND COMPLAINING OF SEVERE FOOT PAIN. I HAVE INCREASED TONE DUE TO DISEASE.HOWEVER I HAD AN XRAY IN APRIL WHICH SHOWED NO SPUR, A FOLLOW UP XRAY IN OCTOBER SHOWED A SPUR ON EACH SIDE OF MY HEEL, A BONE SCAN AND MRI REVEALED SEVERE PLANTER FASCITIS. I HAVE BEEN IN AGONY FOR SO LONG. MY GAIT IS OFF SO I CANT USE CRUTCH'S, I CAN HOWEVER USE A WALKER. MY PT WANT'S IT CAST WEEKLY BEFORE WE GO TO SURGERY, THE FOOT DR.WANTS TO DO SURGERY. IM ON MY WAY TO ORTHO IN BOSTON, BUT IM FEELING AS IF NO ONE WILL MAKE A DECISION BECAUSE OF MY MS.. HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU DEALT WITH PATIENTS WITH NEURO DISEASE AND THIS FOOT PROBLEM? ANY SUGGESTIONS???
THANKS
KAREN

Re: MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS/HEEL SPURS & PANTER FASC.

Dr. Biehler on 1/20/01 at 18:54 (036958)

I feel there is the distinct possibility that your plantar fasciitis is a result of your change in gate. If this is the case then I feel you should give it a chance to see if it still has the ability to heal if given the proper circumstances before surgery is tried. If the way to do this is to try a period of using casts or removable casts used when walking, then I feel it is the way to go. Dr. B.

Re: MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS/HEEL SPURS & PANTER FASC.

Dr. Biehler on 1/20/01 at 18:54 (036958)

I feel there is the distinct possibility that your plantar fasciitis is a result of your change in gate. If this is the case then I feel you should give it a chance to see if it still has the ability to heal if given the proper circumstances before surgery is tried. If the way to do this is to try a period of using casts or removable casts used when walking, then I feel it is the way to go. Dr. B.