Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What next?

Posted by Bob W on 1/21/01 at 09:12 (036989)

After going through all the conservative measures (PT, shots, orthotics, nite splints, bone scan, nerve conduction study, x-ray, several types anti-inflam, etc.)for about 3-4 years, I underwent release of the nerve to the abductor digiti quinti (PF release was not done)as recommended by an othropedic surgeon. (I am 40 yr old male, not overweight, formerly active in aerobic sports) That was spring of '97. Surgery did not help and I am considering ESWT. Last 4-6 months I have had two other problems that have developed. First, lateral foot pain when weight bearing similar to a cramp anywhere from the front of the heel to the just past the mid foot. Most times, this is about as bad as the heel pain itself. Second, my little toe of the surgery foot now seems to have a mind of its own. It always feels pinched and irritated (sometimes like it is asleep)when I walk and then when my shoes are off and I 'flex' my toes upward the little was 'fans' out about 3/4 inch away from the others. When I flex downward, the little toe doesn't flex all the way down with the others. What do I need to do to get better?

Re: What next?

DR. Zuckerman on 1/21/01 at 09:26 (036994)

You need an mri of the foot to evaluate all of the tendons,joints, ligaments in your foot and ankle. As you know the little toe having its mind of its own is from
the nerve release. So you need a further evaluation in order to determine whether ESWT is going to be effective for you.

Re: What next?

DR. Zuckerman on 1/21/01 at 09:26 (036994)

You need an mri of the foot to evaluate all of the tendons,joints, ligaments in your foot and ankle. As you know the little toe having its mind of its own is from
the nerve release. So you need a further evaluation in order to determine whether ESWT is going to be effective for you.