Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF in the NBA

Posted by John V on 1/22/01 at 14:26 (037082)

During Sunday's televised Knicks/Pacers game there was a discussion of treatment for PF. Glen Rice, a forward for the Knicks, had been to Toronto for shock wave treatement. So, there is a training staff and ownership that thinks the procedure is worthwhile for one of their multi-million dollar investments. Incidentlally, one of the announcers, Bill Walton, indicated that he had had plantar fascia surgery on both feet, describing it as 'no fun'.

Re: PF in the NBA

john h on 1/22/01 at 15:50 (037091)

i would suspect glenn rice makes between 7-10 million a year so his feet are rather important. Walton who was one of the dominating centers of his time struggled his entire carreer with feet problems. that many years ago i would not be supprised if they did not release the entire fascia on both of his feet. Common problem among football players also especially down linemen who are pushing off with their feet in a crouched position. a few month ago one tore the fascia completely loose from the heel.

David Lowy on 1/23/01 at 11:43 (037149)

Glen Rice came up to Toronto for treatment at Sonorex on the advice of the NY Knicks team physician. He had three treatments....Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. He reports that he is doing very well and is seeing continued improvement every day. Some other NBA players who have had low-energy ESWT at Sonorex include Lee Mayberry and Jim Jackson.

David Lowy on 1/24/01 at 12:15 (037219)

Lee was our first NBA patient who was debilitated for quite a while with patellar tendinitis. He made a remarkable recovery and then started to tell his friends in the NBA about this 'magic machine in Canada'. That's when we started getting a lot of interest from NBA teams and players suffering from near-bone pain. One of the NBA team physicians is currently conducting a study on patellar tendinitis to be presented to the NBA doctors. Interesting that you mention Scottie Pippen. I read in the news that he has tendinitis in his elbow and he's been missing games. Hopefully he'll consider ESWT.
Regards

john h on 1/22/01 at 15:50 (037091)

i would suspect glenn rice makes between 7-10 million a year so his feet are rather important. Walton who was one of the dominating centers of his time struggled his entire carreer with feet problems. that many years ago i would not be supprised if they did not release the entire fascia on both of his feet. Common problem among football players also especially down linemen who are pushing off with their feet in a crouched position. a few month ago one tore the fascia completely loose from the heel.

David Lowy on 1/23/01 at 11:43 (037149)

Glen Rice came up to Toronto for treatment at Sonorex on the advice of the NY Knicks team physician. He had three treatments....Wednesday, Thursday & Friday. He reports that he is doing very well and is seeing continued improvement every day. Some other NBA players who have had low-energy ESWT at Sonorex include Lee Mayberry and Jim Jackson.

David Lowy on 1/24/01 at 12:15 (037219)

Lee was our first NBA patient who was debilitated for quite a while with patellar tendinitis. He made a remarkable recovery and then started to tell his friends in the NBA about this 'magic machine in Canada'. That's when we started getting a lot of interest from NBA teams and players suffering from near-bone pain. One of the NBA team physicians is currently conducting a study on patellar tendinitis to be presented to the NBA doctors. Interesting that you mention Scottie Pippen. I read in the news that he has tendinitis in his elbow and he's been missing games. Hopefully he'll consider ESWT.
Regards