Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur/ Tarsal Tunnel

Posted by Linda D on 1/22/01 at 15:35 (037088)

I have been in pain for almost 3 years now. I have orthotics, SAS shoes, injections, moon boots, time off work, and antinfammatories that kill my stomach. When I asked my doctor (orthopedic surgeon) concerning Ossatron, he didn't think much of it. It is very dishearting to be in constant pain. The Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome, now causes pain and burning to the middle of my calf. I am wondering what calcium plays in this problem. Can taking 1500mg a day do any good, less or more ????
Thanks
Linda

Re: Heel Spur/ Tarsal Tunnel

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/22/01 at 21:09 (037119)

TArsal Tunnel Syndrome is a no no for ESWT.

Have you had your back evaluated to rule out any lower back stenosis or disc herniation etc ? Have a complete lower extremity evaluation to get a complete picture of this terrible pain.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/24/01 at 11:56 (037216)

I've never heard of calcium helping TTS.

I agree with Dr. Z about checking other causes for the pain from the back and spine. Did you have an EMG/NCV to confirm the diagnosis.

You may also have to address the cause for the TTS. Are you a pronator, do you have a lot of ankle swelling, etc. By the way, I hate SAS shoes, they usually do not have good enough heel support for pronators. I know patients love them because they are very comfortable and I do think there are some styles that have better heel support.

Linda D on 1/25/01 at 21:38 (037382)

I have an appt with nurology in Feb for lower back. Ankles are swollen in evening after on feet all day, and very stiff in the mornings. Burning pain from ankles to knee on inside of calf, and beginning to continue to mid thigh. Does weather effect this? I noticed that when it rained I was in more pain, and today without the rain, was better???
What are some other options for shoes? I wear slacks at work and an occasional dress on Sunday, or out to dinner. It almost seems like the heel spurs are less painful then my ankles.
Thanks Linda D

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/22/01 at 21:09 (037119)

TArsal Tunnel Syndrome is a no no for ESWT.

Have you had your back evaluated to rule out any lower back stenosis or disc herniation etc ? Have a complete lower extremity evaluation to get a complete picture of this terrible pain.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/24/01 at 11:56 (037216)

I've never heard of calcium helping TTS.

I agree with Dr. Z about checking other causes for the pain from the back and spine. Did you have an EMG/NCV to confirm the diagnosis.

You may also have to address the cause for the TTS. Are you a pronator, do you have a lot of ankle swelling, etc. By the way, I hate SAS shoes, they usually do not have good enough heel support for pronators. I know patients love them because they are very comfortable and I do think there are some styles that have better heel support.

Linda D on 1/25/01 at 21:38 (037382)

I have an appt with nurology in Feb for lower back. Ankles are swollen in evening after on feet all day, and very stiff in the mornings. Burning pain from ankles to knee on inside of calf, and beginning to continue to mid thigh. Does weather effect this? I noticed that when it rained I was in more pain, and today without the rain, was better???
What are some other options for shoes? I wear slacks at work and an occasional dress on Sunday, or out to dinner. It almost seems like the heel spurs are less painful then my ankles.
Thanks Linda D