Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical therapy to help tarsal tunnel

Posted by Nancy M. on 1/22/01 at 15:46 (037090)

I'm updating my message that I sent in October saying that I had found a physical therapist who said she has cured tarsal tunnel. Having this condition for 9 years (this week!), having had every therapy under the sun and surgery that didn't work, I was very skeptical, but thought I would give it a try. I've been seeing the same therapist for once or twice a week and doing a lot of exercises for it, and I actually think it is starting to work! I do lots of calf stretches, sitting with legs straight and pointing toes as far up and back as possible, a hip stretch or two, exercises to strengthen my glute (spelling?) muscles, and most importantly, she changed my gait. I'm walking heel-toe now, which I never did before. She is also doing various manipulations with my feet. It's been a slow process, but I feel it's working. I would be happy to answer any questions on the board if you think this might be something you might be interested in. We have to help each other. We're the only ones who know how painful this is!

Re: Physical therapy to help tarsal tunnel

Jeff D on 1/23/01 at 10:27 (037145)

Hi Nancy, glad to hear of your potential success. I have had symptoms for three years and have posted my history on this board. As stated in my earlier posts I too have tried Physical Therapy but really seen only minor improvement in 2 months. My thearapist was doing much of the same except for the gait. In addition I was getting Ultrasound with Cortizone Creme. I didn't like the Ultrasound treatment. Since I stopped going to the Trearpist I have continued my stretches, mostly my hamstrings, but now I believe I have pulled or strained my right hamstring. BTW my TT is in my right foot only and limits how long I can walk. My pain is not terrible, just annoying, or maybe I am just getting used to it and gaining weight.

I am really curious about the gait and would like to gather more information. Also what type of foot manipulations. I am trying to get my Ortho to do surgery, but what if he does it and I really don't have TT. That's whats so fustrsting about this problem, you can't be certain. Well enough venting. Thanks

Nancy M. on 1/24/01 at 18:25 (037256)

Hi Jeff, I'm sorry to hear about your ham string muscle pull...as if you need another source of pain! I'm HOPING to continue to feel better, but as you know with this very frustrating condition, no one seems to know much about this. I had surgery about 5 years ago on one foot that did nothing. I guess I'd be a little cautious about that. I'm going to ask my PT to write down exactly what she's manipulating when I see her next week. As for the gait change, perhaps you walk normally, but I did not. I walked, evidently, with a flat foot hitting the ground at the same time. As I said, I walk heel-toe-heel-toe now. Even if it doesn't continue to help my problem, now that I walk this way mostly unconsciously, it does feel better and my husband says it looks more graceful! When I see my PT next week, I'll ask her for the info and post it on this site. Good luck, Jeff.

Kim R on 1/24/01 at 19:22 (037263)

Nancy,
I've had tarsal tunnel and facitis for over 3 years now, I had surgery on my right foot for both tarsal tunnel and had a
faciectomy. I had the surgery in June of 99 and I'm still in alot of pain. I just had anther MRI and EMG, but they
show no signs of nerve entrapment. I also work for the Dr who performed the surgery and have much respect. We
can't figure out why I would still have pain. I am interested in your results on the physical therapy. Thanks Kim

Fran on 2/11/01 at 18:40 (038702)

I had surgery for tts 9 months ago on both feet. I still have a lot of pain. In fact, the pain got more severe after PT. Can you tell me exactly what exercises you are doing? Aside from taking pain pills and a sleeping pill once in a while I feel like I am going to have pain forever. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Fran

Eileen on 2/12/01 at 14:09 (038734)

Same with me after tts--8 months of pain held at bay by NSAIDS, then Vicodin. Try neurontin in addition. Youmay need a fairly big dosage. I still have pain, but it is not quite as bad. Was able to cut vicodin drastically.Physical therapy did not help me either.

Jeff D on 1/23/01 at 10:27 (037145)

Hi Nancy, glad to hear of your potential success. I have had symptoms for three years and have posted my history on this board. As stated in my earlier posts I too have tried Physical Therapy but really seen only minor improvement in 2 months. My thearapist was doing much of the same except for the gait. In addition I was getting Ultrasound with Cortizone Creme. I didn't like the Ultrasound treatment. Since I stopped going to the Trearpist I have continued my stretches, mostly my hamstrings, but now I believe I have pulled or strained my right hamstring. BTW my TT is in my right foot only and limits how long I can walk. My pain is not terrible, just annoying, or maybe I am just getting used to it and gaining weight.

I am really curious about the gait and would like to gather more information. Also what type of foot manipulations. I am trying to get my Ortho to do surgery, but what if he does it and I really don't have TT. That's whats so fustrsting about this problem, you can't be certain. Well enough venting. Thanks

Nancy M. on 1/24/01 at 18:25 (037256)

Hi Jeff, I'm sorry to hear about your ham string muscle pull...as if you need another source of pain! I'm HOPING to continue to feel better, but as you know with this very frustrating condition, no one seems to know much about this. I had surgery about 5 years ago on one foot that did nothing. I guess I'd be a little cautious about that. I'm going to ask my PT to write down exactly what she's manipulating when I see her next week. As for the gait change, perhaps you walk normally, but I did not. I walked, evidently, with a flat foot hitting the ground at the same time. As I said, I walk heel-toe-heel-toe now. Even if it doesn't continue to help my problem, now that I walk this way mostly unconsciously, it does feel better and my husband says it looks more graceful! When I see my PT next week, I'll ask her for the info and post it on this site. Good luck, Jeff.

Kim R on 1/24/01 at 19:22 (037263)

Nancy,
I've had tarsal tunnel and facitis for over 3 years now, I had surgery on my right foot for both tarsal tunnel and had a
faciectomy. I had the surgery in June of 99 and I'm still in alot of pain. I just had anther MRI and EMG, but they
show no signs of nerve entrapment. I also work for the Dr who performed the surgery and have much respect. We
can't figure out why I would still have pain. I am interested in your results on the physical therapy. Thanks Kim

Fran on 2/11/01 at 18:40 (038702)

I had surgery for tts 9 months ago on both feet. I still have a lot of pain. In fact, the pain got more severe after PT. Can you tell me exactly what exercises you are doing? Aside from taking pain pills and a sleeping pill once in a while I feel like I am going to have pain forever. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Fran

Eileen on 2/12/01 at 14:09 (038734)

Same with me after tts--8 months of pain held at bay by NSAIDS, then Vicodin. Try neurontin in addition. Youmay need a fairly big dosage. I still have pain, but it is not quite as bad. Was able to cut vicodin drastically.Physical therapy did not help me either.