Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

5 weeks post-Haglunds surgery

Posted by Sarah on 1/23/01 at 11:48 (037150)

Hello,

I am a 21 year old cross-country runner and had a Haglund's deformity on my right foot removed December 19. Surgery went very well-- I was off crutches in a week and now am walking around fine. I have been trying to do some rehabilitation stretches and exercises to restore flexibility and movement in my foot-- achilles tendon stretches, ankle circles, toe raises, and so on. When I do these exercises I tend to have pain around the incision and sometimes near the bottom of the tendon. Is this pain normal? Do I need to be worried about hurting myself further, or are the stretches good for my foot? Do you have any suggestions for other exercises to safely speed up recovery?

Thanks,
Sarah

Re: 5 weeks post-Haglunds surgery

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/23/01 at 17:23 (037158)

Rest and some very gentle stretching. If you have any doubt about the stretching too much error on the side of less

Debbie Sumrall on 2/12/01 at 09:39 (038723)

I have Haglunds deformity on my right heel. I'm also a runner, and have to limit the amount of running I do to 3 days a week, 3 miles each day. It's encouraging to know you're recovering so well after the surgery. Can you tell exactly what the surgery involved? When do you expect to be running again? I've been afraid to have the surgery done because I didn't want to have to stop running for a long period of time.

Sarah on 3/29/01 at 09:59 (042907)

Hi Debbie,

I'm sorry, I hardly ever check this site anymore or else I would have responded to you much sooner.

It's now been 3 months since my surgery, and the foot is fine to run on. It only took me about 3 weeks to walk totally normally. The first 2 weeks I was on crutches and in pain, and limped for a while. I couldn't really exercise. Get this, though-- shortly after surgery, when I was trying to walk and my foot was pretty weak, I tripped on the stairs and hurt the OTHER foot- hairline fracture. Because of that, I haven't really been able to start running again. Unbelievably frustrating, but I can tell you for certain that the Haglund's is not the problem.

The area where I had surgery is still pretty tender, but my doctor says that is because of bown regrowth and slight inflammation, and that it will slowly go away in 1-2 months. This tenderness, I should say, has not restricted my activity in ANY WAY. My doctor gave me the OK to start running anyway, as long as I build back slowly.

Like you, I was reluctant to have surgery because I was afraid it would keep me away from running too long, and I happen to be addicted to running. However, I now feel such relief that the problem has been taken care of-- the few months I had to take off as a result of surgery were worth it. And it's not like I couldn't exercise-- swimming and biking weren't at all painful. Now if only I could get this ridiculous fracture taken care of... :)

Good luck, and let me know what you decide to do!

Sarah

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/23/01 at 17:23 (037158)

Rest and some very gentle stretching. If you have any doubt about the stretching too much error on the side of less

Debbie Sumrall on 2/12/01 at 09:39 (038723)

I have Haglunds deformity on my right heel. I'm also a runner, and have to limit the amount of running I do to 3 days a week, 3 miles each day. It's encouraging to know you're recovering so well after the surgery. Can you tell exactly what the surgery involved? When do you expect to be running again? I've been afraid to have the surgery done because I didn't want to have to stop running for a long period of time.

Sarah on 3/29/01 at 09:59 (042907)

Hi Debbie,

I'm sorry, I hardly ever check this site anymore or else I would have responded to you much sooner.

It's now been 3 months since my surgery, and the foot is fine to run on. It only took me about 3 weeks to walk totally normally. The first 2 weeks I was on crutches and in pain, and limped for a while. I couldn't really exercise. Get this, though-- shortly after surgery, when I was trying to walk and my foot was pretty weak, I tripped on the stairs and hurt the OTHER foot- hairline fracture. Because of that, I haven't really been able to start running again. Unbelievably frustrating, but I can tell you for certain that the Haglund's is not the problem.

The area where I had surgery is still pretty tender, but my doctor says that is because of bown regrowth and slight inflammation, and that it will slowly go away in 1-2 months. This tenderness, I should say, has not restricted my activity in ANY WAY. My doctor gave me the OK to start running anyway, as long as I build back slowly.

Like you, I was reluctant to have surgery because I was afraid it would keep me away from running too long, and I happen to be addicted to running. However, I now feel such relief that the problem has been taken care of-- the few months I had to take off as a result of surgery were worth it. And it's not like I couldn't exercise-- swimming and biking weren't at all painful. Now if only I could get this ridiculous fracture taken care of... :)

Good luck, and let me know what you decide to do!

Sarah