Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh no! A new hot spot!

Posted by Kay S on 1/24/01 at 09:23 (037204)

I have been going to PT for almost two weeks now for friction massage, and although it hurts, I feel better when I leave. (I remember one of the Nancy's saying this awhile ago) However, yesterday he found a new spot of excruciating pain on the LATERAL side of my worst foot, which I don't remember being there before. My eswt was treated in the middle and the medial side if I remember correctly. I mean, it hurt so bad when he pressed I actually rose from the table. I didn't kick him, but noticed that he was leaning back a bit. By the time the treatment was over, that spot was a tiny bit better, but does anyone remember this happening during their bout with pf?
Also, I have been doing some toe exercises, and had to cut back on them because my foot (the worst one) was cramping so bad that I couldn't get to sleep. One night I had to wrap the heating pad around it and hold it for about ten minutes and then it finally calmed down.
What's going on here? Don't tell me I am getting rid of my original pf and developing new areas!!! I feel like I am being chased by a monster.
Maybe it is all wrapped up in general pf, but I don't like this one bit.
And it scares me a little.
Kay

Re: Oh no! A new hot spot!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/01 at 11:31 (037209)

It sounds like the lateral band of the pf. It has always been taking on the extra share of weight bearing that the medial band lacks due to the lack of pronation and hallux limitation at your big toe joint.

It is a temporary thingtaht I see after foot surgery for pf , ESWT for pf and any excessive stretching.

So cut back on the massage to that area. Cut back on the toe stretching.
Work with the new orthosis in addition to the other Physical Therapy work. In theory the new orthosis should help to disperse the weight evening across the foot from the back to the middle and front of the foot.

Go on going but do less if the feel pain

Re: Cramp

Julie on 1/25/01 at 02:57 (037303)

Kay, if your cramp happens again, there is a pressure point that you can massage to relieve it. It's in the 'webbing' between the big toe and the next toe. If you press your thumb into it and massage it, it will usually relieve cramp anywhere on that side of the body. The pressure should be strong enough to feel, not enough to cause pain.

I can't throw any light on your new hot spot, but I do hope it is a temporary thing, or perhaps something you simply haven't noticed before, and not a new problem rearing its head.

Re: Oh no! A new hot spot!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/01 at 11:31 (037209)

It sounds like the lateral band of the pf. It has always been taking on the extra share of weight bearing that the medial band lacks due to the lack of pronation and hallux limitation at your big toe joint.

It is a temporary thingtaht I see after foot surgery for pf , ESWT for pf and any excessive stretching.

So cut back on the massage to that area. Cut back on the toe stretching.
Work with the new orthosis in addition to the other Physical Therapy work. In theory the new orthosis should help to disperse the weight evening across the foot from the back to the middle and front of the foot.

Go on going but do less if the feel pain

Re: Cramp

Julie on 1/25/01 at 02:57 (037303)

Kay, if your cramp happens again, there is a pressure point that you can massage to relieve it. It's in the 'webbing' between the big toe and the next toe. If you press your thumb into it and massage it, it will usually relieve cramp anywhere on that side of the body. The pressure should be strong enough to feel, not enough to cause pain.

I can't throw any light on your new hot spot, but I do hope it is a temporary thing, or perhaps something you simply haven't noticed before, and not a new problem rearing its head.