Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FootMaxx Orthotics

Posted by Dr. Marlene Reid on 1/24/01 at 12:09 (037218)

We just started using FootMaxx orthotics in our office.

I know its more widely used in Canada. Do any of you Canadians (or others) have opinions on them? A few of my patients just received them that had other orthotics that were several years old so I am hoping to get a comparision impression from them. We happy with our old company, but really interested in the computer's objectivity, scanning technique, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Re: FootMaxx Orthotics

Christian Galvarino on 1/24/01 at 15:09 (037235)

Dr. Reid,
I wanted to respond to your question about FootMaxx. I am a runner and I have been wearing a pair of simi rigid orthotics for years. The Dr. always examines my foot,does a harris mat test, and then when casting he puts my foot in a neutral position. The foam was comfortable, and shock absorbing. It did support my arch and kept my heel aligned correctly and my PF went away pretty quickly (I didn't have a bad case). I get a new pair every year or two. I met some one that told me about the Footmaxx system and I was intrigued. When I looked at his orthotics that he had gotten only a month ago the orthotic didn't meet his arch when he as standing on it. I thought that this was a little odd. Does the Footmax system pick an orthotic from a selected amount of pre-determined foot shapes like the other digital orthotic making system? I am happy with the orthotics that I use now. I would much rather have a Dr. do all the exam and prescription than some machine, especially after seeing the orhotic my friend has.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/01 at 15:26 (037238)

Very important to not have that space between the arch and the foot orthosis.
I found the footmax orthosis very good in many cases. I would still recomend the biomechanical orthosis casting method when control of excessive pronation is the most important criteria for your reason for dispensing the device. . I used footmaxx for the past four years. You can make a great orthosis with them. It depends on the skill of the podiatrist.

I find that an orthosis is only as good as the doctor who determines the need and the ability of any system to enable the doctor to fabricate the correct orthosis.

Orthosis are very benefical for the right patients and for the proper condition. In addition the shoe that it goes into is just as important.

I did find the footmaxx method for making a great orthosis for the dress

shoe.

wendyn on 1/24/01 at 17:40 (037252)

Dr Reid - I asked this same question here a few months ago when I was looking into buying them. Do a search on this board - you may find a few positive responses but what I received was pretty luke-warm. My surgeon recommended I wear orthotics and did not refer me to any one particular place...but in his opinion the 'walk across the mat' method is not what to go for. He stressed that orthotic making is really somewhat of an art - I have to agree, I think careful casting and a detailed gait/biomechanical evaluation is essential. I do have some experience here - I just received my fourth pair of orthotics!

Christian Galvarino on 1/24/01 at 15:09 (037235)

Dr. Reid,
I wanted to respond to your question about FootMaxx. I am a runner and I have been wearing a pair of simi rigid orthotics for years. The Dr. always examines my foot,does a harris mat test, and then when casting he puts my foot in a neutral position. The foam was comfortable, and shock absorbing. It did support my arch and kept my heel aligned correctly and my PF went away pretty quickly (I didn't have a bad case). I get a new pair every year or two. I met some one that told me about the Footmaxx system and I was intrigued. When I looked at his orthotics that he had gotten only a month ago the orthotic didn't meet his arch when he as standing on it. I thought that this was a little odd. Does the Footmax system pick an orthotic from a selected amount of pre-determined foot shapes like the other digital orthotic making system? I am happy with the orthotics that I use now. I would much rather have a Dr. do all the exam and prescription than some machine, especially after seeing the orhotic my friend has.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/01 at 15:26 (037238)

Very important to not have that space between the arch and the foot orthosis.
I found the footmax orthosis very good in many cases. I would still recomend the biomechanical orthosis casting method when control of excessive pronation is the most important criteria for your reason for dispensing the device. . I used footmaxx for the past four years. You can make a great orthosis with them. It depends on the skill of the podiatrist.

I find that an orthosis is only as good as the doctor who determines the need and the ability of any system to enable the doctor to fabricate the correct orthosis.

Orthosis are very benefical for the right patients and for the proper condition. In addition the shoe that it goes into is just as important.

I did find the footmaxx method for making a great orthosis for the dress

shoe.

wendyn on 1/24/01 at 17:40 (037252)

Dr Reid - I asked this same question here a few months ago when I was looking into buying them. Do a search on this board - you may find a few positive responses but what I received was pretty luke-warm. My surgeon recommended I wear orthotics and did not refer me to any one particular place...but in his opinion the 'walk across the mat' method is not what to go for. He stressed that orthotic making is really somewhat of an art - I have to agree, I think careful casting and a detailed gait/biomechanical evaluation is essential. I do have some experience here - I just received my fourth pair of orthotics!