Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New orthotics and Richard feel free to comment!

Posted by wendyn on 1/24/01 at 17:59 (037255)

Picked up new orthotics yesterday. They were made by the podiatrist who everyone I know seems to rave about. One friend's husband had several pairs made and adjusted by the pod I used to go to, he finally gave up and sent him to this doctor who I'm now seeing. I guess if other pods send their difficult patients to him - he must be pretty good. He wasn't able to get things perfect the first time f- but he worked with the guy and was able to get him what he needed. My son also had orthotics made by him and he's very happy.

I've had 3 other pairs - one dress type about 10 years ago that I just never wore, 1 pair about 5 years ago that I'm pretty much sure helped destroy my feet, 1 pair about a year and a half ago that I simply couldn't tolerate at all.

This time the casting was done by the doctor (not his assistant or his nurse or his receptionist) while I was laying on my stomach. He has made a semi-rigid pair with a nice soft squishy covering on top to help with comfort. He strongly cautioned me to wear them just a bit at a time and listen to my feet. Rememember I've had foot problems 20 years, and for the last year and a half I've worn Birks almost exclusively.

I wore the orthotics in runners yesterday for about 20 minutes in the morning (not all standing time). I put them on last night and after about 5 minutes my feet felt like they were throbbing and not impressed. I took them off.

I wore them about 5 minutes today - I will try again a few minutes while I make dinner. I'm not sure what my feet resent more, being enclosed in a real shoe or being placed on orthotics.

I want SO BADLY for this to help!

The doctor assured me that he will do whatever humanly possible to find something I can wear. If we exhaust all our options this way - I'm going with the custom Birk sandal/orthotic - in fact I'm thinking I'm going to get a pair to try eventually anyway. With the amount of money I've blown so far on shoes and orthotics - what's another couple hundred? It's really my last hope if I can't wear them in shoes.

Oh - Richard, he stressed that the heel cup needs to be very sturdy and straight to restrict movement back there. I seem to remember that this is something you thought was important?

If you have any other advice - I'll take it

Wendy
(she of the dorsal bunion/forefoot varus/TTS/PTT collapsing arch yada yada yada - etc)

Re: New orthotics and Richard feel free to comment!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/25/01 at 08:29 (037315)

Hi Wendy,
Well, I guess with someone that has very sensitive feet like you really needs to start off wearing the inserts for about five minutes or so. I will encourage my patients to wear their shoes with the new inserts while sitting, or having their feet proped up or even just laying on the sofa or bed and reading. You do not have all that pressure from body weight on your feet, but your feet are still touching the inserts.

When I first started wearing my inserts, it took me about two weeks to get used to them. My right foot felt fine, but my left..ouch. Of course that is also when I learned about proper adjustments. I was my own guinea pig.

If you do exhaust all your options, go with what has worked in the past. If the Birks seem to do the job for you, well, that says it all.

Yes, I do like heel cups. I do not recommend drinking out of them though....YUCK. I have a coffee mug shaped like a foot. I wonder if I can make a cup shaped like a heel. Hmmmmmmm.....
Richard

Re: custom birks

Nancy N on 1/25/01 at 08:40 (037317)

Wendy--

How much are the custom birks? How long does it take to get them, etc?

wendyn on 1/25/01 at 13:16 (037334)

Thanks Richard. I don't think this doctor normally recommends 5 minutes at a time. He just said that in my case - he's going to let me figure it out because I've been at this long enough to know what's best for me. I want to wear them - my knees and legs and back feel awesome in them. My feet are not so sure. I did putter around the kitchen for about 20 minutes in them last night - no adverse effects. I will go for the half hour tonight. After 20 years of foot pain, there is nothing for me to gain by haste now. But, I have a lot at stake - a major setback is something I am really trying to avoid.

wendyn on 1/25/01 at 13:18 (037335)

They are made at the podistrists office that I go to. Or, I should say he casts for them and then sends them about to a lab somewhere. They will cost me 375. Canadian OUCH. I don't know if insurance will cover any of it - I doubt it. I'm hoping though, that if the casting is already done, subsequent shoes may not cost as much. I will have to find out.

Re: I found them for $50.00. Wonder if it's the same thing?

Beverly on 1/25/01 at 17:47 (037354)

Wendy,

That's some wad of $$! Before I left Corpus, I found a pedorthoics shop that was making custom Birks for $50.00. I'm wondering if they used the same stuff? It was done in the office. I think it is a kit that Birk supplies pods and orthodics shops. I've seen adds in 'Biomachanics' magazine for adding custom Birks to one's business. The ad is directed towards the medical places that sell custom orthodics.
I didn't get around to getting them. I'm pretty happy with my Birks the way the are, but a little improvement on the left arch would be nice. If your price is the typical one, I sure do wish I'd done this before I left town.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Wendy, and my orthodics saga. latest...

Beverly on 1/25/01 at 17:52 (037355)

Wendy,

My orthodics luck is not so great either. I tried once again with a custom set before I left town. They were suppose to be ready before Christmas. I ended up not being able to get them until the first week of Jan. That gave me about a week to try them before getting them adjusted. I had them adjusted (arch taken down) twice. They still aren't comfortable. I'm debating whether to take them to a shop here in my new city and get me adjusted again or just to mail them back to the old shop.
I've yet to find an improvement on my Birks, but I keep trying.
Good luck,
Beverly

Re: Does that mean Richard could make them for us?

Nancy N on 1/26/01 at 10:18 (037419)

Bev--

If they're the same thing, I think I'd consider sending them molds of my feet and getting them done mail order! I wonder if any pedorthist could make them--maybe Richard could sideline in Custom Birks???

Richard, C.Ped on 1/26/01 at 11:09 (037427)

I have been playing around with ideas in trying to make my wife custom sandals. It is pretty easy. Someone mentioned a kit that Birk sends out. Does anyone know who or where I could contact someone about that? If I am able to do this, I will certainaly take care of you guys!!
Richard

Re: Richard, look in "Biomechanics" magaizine

Beverly on 1/26/01 at 19:18 (037467)

Richard,

I saw a one page ad for this in 'Biomechanics' magazine. My PT carried the magazine. Dr. Z probably gets it.
As far as I could tell, they ran the ad every month. The ad has a picture of a custom mold kit and the Arizona, Boston, and Florida shoe. That's about all I know.
Beverly

Richard, C.Ped on 1/25/01 at 08:29 (037315)

Hi Wendy,
Well, I guess with someone that has very sensitive feet like you really needs to start off wearing the inserts for about five minutes or so. I will encourage my patients to wear their shoes with the new inserts while sitting, or having their feet proped up or even just laying on the sofa or bed and reading. You do not have all that pressure from body weight on your feet, but your feet are still touching the inserts.

When I first started wearing my inserts, it took me about two weeks to get used to them. My right foot felt fine, but my left..ouch. Of course that is also when I learned about proper adjustments. I was my own guinea pig.

If you do exhaust all your options, go with what has worked in the past. If the Birks seem to do the job for you, well, that says it all.

Yes, I do like heel cups. I do not recommend drinking out of them though....YUCK. I have a coffee mug shaped like a foot. I wonder if I can make a cup shaped like a heel. Hmmmmmmm.....
Richard

Nancy N on 1/25/01 at 08:40 (037317)

Wendy--

How much are the custom birks? How long does it take to get them, etc?

wendyn on 1/25/01 at 13:16 (037334)

Thanks Richard. I don't think this doctor normally recommends 5 minutes at a time. He just said that in my case - he's going to let me figure it out because I've been at this long enough to know what's best for me. I want to wear them - my knees and legs and back feel awesome in them. My feet are not so sure. I did putter around the kitchen for about 20 minutes in them last night - no adverse effects. I will go for the half hour tonight. After 20 years of foot pain, there is nothing for me to gain by haste now. But, I have a lot at stake - a major setback is something I am really trying to avoid.

wendyn on 1/25/01 at 13:18 (037335)

They are made at the podistrists office that I go to. Or, I should say he casts for them and then sends them about to a lab somewhere. They will cost me 375. Canadian OUCH. I don't know if insurance will cover any of it - I doubt it. I'm hoping though, that if the casting is already done, subsequent shoes may not cost as much. I will have to find out.

Re: I found them for $50.00. Wonder if it's the same thing?

Beverly on 1/25/01 at 17:47 (037354)

Wendy,

That's some wad of $$! Before I left Corpus, I found a pedorthoics shop that was making custom Birks for $50.00. I'm wondering if they used the same stuff? It was done in the office. I think it is a kit that Birk supplies pods and orthodics shops. I've seen adds in 'Biomachanics' magazine for adding custom Birks to one's business. The ad is directed towards the medical places that sell custom orthodics.
I didn't get around to getting them. I'm pretty happy with my Birks the way the are, but a little improvement on the left arch would be nice. If your price is the typical one, I sure do wish I'd done this before I left town.

Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Wendy, and my orthodics saga. latest...

Beverly on 1/25/01 at 17:52 (037355)

Wendy,

My orthodics luck is not so great either. I tried once again with a custom set before I left town. They were suppose to be ready before Christmas. I ended up not being able to get them until the first week of Jan. That gave me about a week to try them before getting them adjusted. I had them adjusted (arch taken down) twice. They still aren't comfortable. I'm debating whether to take them to a shop here in my new city and get me adjusted again or just to mail them back to the old shop.
I've yet to find an improvement on my Birks, but I keep trying.
Good luck,
Beverly

Nancy N on 1/26/01 at 10:18 (037419)

Bev--

If they're the same thing, I think I'd consider sending them molds of my feet and getting them done mail order! I wonder if any pedorthist could make them--maybe Richard could sideline in Custom Birks???

Richard, C.Ped on 1/26/01 at 11:09 (037427)

I have been playing around with ideas in trying to make my wife custom sandals. It is pretty easy. Someone mentioned a kit that Birk sends out. Does anyone know who or where I could contact someone about that? If I am able to do this, I will certainaly take care of you guys!!
Richard

Re: Richard, look in "Biomechanics" magaizine

Beverly on 1/26/01 at 19:18 (037467)

Richard,

I saw a one page ad for this in 'Biomechanics' magazine. My PT carried the magazine. Dr. Z probably gets it.
As far as I could tell, they ran the ad every month. The ad has a picture of a custom mold kit and the Arizona, Boston, and Florida shoe. That's about all I know.
Beverly