Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Symptoms, Indeed!

Posted by Rebecca D. on 1/24/01 at 20:32 (037270)

I was diagnosed with PF in July 2000. I had x-rays taken which revealed a huge, pointy spur on both heels. No wonder my heels hurt! The first cortisone shot was a god-send. The almost instant relief was wonderful, but only lasted about 2 weeks. By mid-August, I was again in extreme pain, and now I had this odd sensation of walking on something lumpy. My doctors were stumped. The foot doctor told me to go back to my general practitioner, since there was no obvious trauma to the foot. Well, my GP overlooked some critical symptoms.(I don't see him anymore). Yes, I had PF. Yes, I had heel spurs. Yes, I had pain shooting up the back of my leg. What he overlooked...the pain up the back of my leg. Turns out in another few days after seeing the GP, I was in the hospital, practically dead, because the pain in my leg, and the lumpy sensation in my foot were caused by a blood clot that had formed in my leg, partially due to resting my foot. The clot broke free and landed in my lung, nearly killing me. My new GP is the doctor who treated me in the emergency room, and has been ever watchful of my complaints of heel and/or leg pain.

What's my point here??? Just a word of advice to mind your symptoms, and take nothing for granted. There is a reason for your pain, and it is your right to know what is causing it. Be good to yourself, and make a pest of yourself to your doctor...Stay healthy and stay alive!

Thanks for letting me go on,

Rebecca

Re: Symptoms, Indeed!

Laurie R on 1/24/01 at 21:21 (037280)

Hi Rebecca,
Wow ,What a story !!!!!! I am sure this will help someone. I believe like you,if you have bad pain their is something wrong. Thank God for the er doctor. How is your PF now??? My very best to you .Also thank you so much for shearing your story. Laurie R

Cynthia D on 1/25/01 at 15:57 (037343)

Wow, how scary. Glad you are ok. You mentioned resting your foot may have contributed to this. Does your dr. have any other ideas how you got a blood clot in your leg? Should the rest of us prop our legs up in any certain manner so as not to cause this? Can you advise. Thanks. Again, glad you are ok.

Kay S on 1/25/01 at 19:10 (037366)

My goodness, Rebecca! Thank you for your post concerning a very serious complication. It is hard to believe the first doc missed your symptoms, but sometimes with this pf pain, heel pain, etc. other things get lost. If you didn't have all those other symptoms, looking for a blood clot would probably have been the first thing done.
I am glad you came through your ordeal alive and well, but don't blame you for your feelings of animosity towards your first caregiver. I hope you will continue to improve, and thank you for sharing this lesson with all of us.
Kay

Rebecca D on 1/25/01 at 20:28 (037373)

Cynthia,
An additional cause to my condition was family history, and the use of birth control pills. This, combined with resting most likely caused the clot. The best thing to do is be extremely aware of your pain, and investigate it. You know yourself the best, and would know if something was wrong. I knew the pain in my foot was weird, because it only hurt when I stood on it. It didn't hurt to touch it. I was between doctor visits when the clot broke free. That's all I can say.

Rebecca

Rebecca D on 1/25/01 at 20:30 (037374)

Thank you all so much for your kind words. My pf is nearly healed. (I followed Scott's tips for taping and stretching). (Scott maintains this board and website). I found I got more relief from his tried and true methods than anything the foot doctors told me.

Rebecca

salina on 1/25/01 at 22:17 (037386)

Thank Goodness you are alright after all that.
Thanks for posting your experience, because it will help others to stay alert and watch for any strange new symptoms.
I am guilty of just throwing all my pain symptoms in one basket.
Your post has reminded me to sort them out.
thanks

Cynthia D on 1/26/01 at 09:43 (037414)

I'm glad after all you went through that your pf is better. I always felt that birth control pills were bad. I used to have them and had terrible heart palpitations. We discovered at last they were the cause. I bet you enjoy day to the fullest now! Best wishes for continued good health!

Rebecca D on 2/10/01 at 20:07 (038640)

Thanks Cynthia. I wish doctors and pharmaceutical companies would put a little more emphasis on such harmful side effects. I am nearly pain free, and have met someone at work who had/has PF and has been able to heal and return to running, so I suspect there is hope yet!
Best wishes to you,too.
Rebecca

Laurie R on 1/24/01 at 21:21 (037280)

Hi Rebecca,
Wow ,What a story !!!!!! I am sure this will help someone. I believe like you,if you have bad pain their is something wrong. Thank God for the er doctor. How is your PF now??? My very best to you .Also thank you so much for shearing your story. Laurie R

Cynthia D on 1/25/01 at 15:57 (037343)

Wow, how scary. Glad you are ok. You mentioned resting your foot may have contributed to this. Does your dr. have any other ideas how you got a blood clot in your leg? Should the rest of us prop our legs up in any certain manner so as not to cause this? Can you advise. Thanks. Again, glad you are ok.

Kay S on 1/25/01 at 19:10 (037366)

My goodness, Rebecca! Thank you for your post concerning a very serious complication. It is hard to believe the first doc missed your symptoms, but sometimes with this pf pain, heel pain, etc. other things get lost. If you didn't have all those other symptoms, looking for a blood clot would probably have been the first thing done.
I am glad you came through your ordeal alive and well, but don't blame you for your feelings of animosity towards your first caregiver. I hope you will continue to improve, and thank you for sharing this lesson with all of us.
Kay

Rebecca D on 1/25/01 at 20:28 (037373)

Cynthia,
An additional cause to my condition was family history, and the use of birth control pills. This, combined with resting most likely caused the clot. The best thing to do is be extremely aware of your pain, and investigate it. You know yourself the best, and would know if something was wrong. I knew the pain in my foot was weird, because it only hurt when I stood on it. It didn't hurt to touch it. I was between doctor visits when the clot broke free. That's all I can say.

Rebecca

Rebecca D on 1/25/01 at 20:30 (037374)

Thank you all so much for your kind words. My pf is nearly healed. (I followed Scott's tips for taping and stretching). (Scott maintains this board and website). I found I got more relief from his tried and true methods than anything the foot doctors told me.

Rebecca

salina on 1/25/01 at 22:17 (037386)

Thank Goodness you are alright after all that.
Thanks for posting your experience, because it will help others to stay alert and watch for any strange new symptoms.
I am guilty of just throwing all my pain symptoms in one basket.
Your post has reminded me to sort them out.
thanks

Cynthia D on 1/26/01 at 09:43 (037414)

I'm glad after all you went through that your pf is better. I always felt that birth control pills were bad. I used to have them and had terrible heart palpitations. We discovered at last they were the cause. I bet you enjoy day to the fullest now! Best wishes for continued good health!

Rebecca D on 2/10/01 at 20:07 (038640)

Thanks Cynthia. I wish doctors and pharmaceutical companies would put a little more emphasis on such harmful side effects. I am nearly pain free, and have met someone at work who had/has PF and has been able to heal and return to running, so I suspect there is hope yet!
Best wishes to you,too.
Rebecca