Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RSD

Posted by Chris B. on 1/24/01 at 20:47 (037274)

I am taking Neurontin, Elavil, and Toradol for RSD. I know that they are for the pain, but will they help it go away? I am taking all of these drugs and I'm not sure that they are doing anything. I did skip a dose of the Toradol yesterday and found out that it was doing more than I thought.

I'm to get a lumbar sympathetic nerve block on the 3oth. I think he said that I would continue with the meds also. I am so confused about what to do about this pain. If the meds make the pain tolerable, should I not get the block. I still have pain, but it's not bad at all. I am sleeping ok at night also. How long will it take for these nerves to stop signaling pain?

Re: RSD

wendyn on 1/24/01 at 23:00 (037288)

Chris - I'm not a doctor - but my understanding is that all those drugs are helping you with the pain - but not the problem. I believe that for RSD the standard treatment is nerve blocks. Your sympathetic nervous system has gone completely out of whack - and they believe that the nerve blocks help stop this awful cycle. If your doctor is reputable, and experienced with RSD - trust him/or her and ask lots of questions.

Have you done some other research on RSD? If so - what did you find for treatment options?

Dr. Biehler on 1/25/01 at 07:39 (037310)

Wendy; Thats a good answer!!! Dr. B.

Chris B. on 1/27/01 at 17:00 (037537)

Thanks Wendyn for your response. It seems that you are quite knowledgeable in a lot of these problems. My doctor is new to the area, but is a retired military doctor. He was the Former Chief Consultant to the Surgeon General. I felt that that was pretty good credentials. =)
You are right that these nerves are completely out of whack! I can not believe the burning and sensitivity that I have(even with all of the meds) from my knees up. It's been 3 months now and I will have the first nerve block on Tuesday. I can't wait!!! I'll let you know how it works.

wendyn on 1/27/01 at 22:45 (037555)

Chris - at one point there was some belief that I may have RSD. So, I did a lot or research on it. There have also been others on this board with this problem. Please keep posting here and let us know how you do.

wendyn on 1/24/01 at 23:00 (037288)

Chris - I'm not a doctor - but my understanding is that all those drugs are helping you with the pain - but not the problem. I believe that for RSD the standard treatment is nerve blocks. Your sympathetic nervous system has gone completely out of whack - and they believe that the nerve blocks help stop this awful cycle. If your doctor is reputable, and experienced with RSD - trust him/or her and ask lots of questions.

Have you done some other research on RSD? If so - what did you find for treatment options?

Dr. Biehler on 1/25/01 at 07:39 (037310)

Wendy; Thats a good answer!!! Dr. B.

Chris B. on 1/27/01 at 17:00 (037537)

Thanks Wendyn for your response. It seems that you are quite knowledgeable in a lot of these problems. My doctor is new to the area, but is a retired military doctor. He was the Former Chief Consultant to the Surgeon General. I felt that that was pretty good credentials. =)
You are right that these nerves are completely out of whack! I can not believe the burning and sensitivity that I have(even with all of the meds) from my knees up. It's been 3 months now and I will have the first nerve block on Tuesday. I can't wait!!! I'll let you know how it works.

wendyn on 1/27/01 at 22:45 (037555)

Chris - at one point there was some belief that I may have RSD. So, I did a lot or research on it. There have also been others on this board with this problem. Please keep posting here and let us know how you do.