Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Releasing PF

Posted by Crystal on 1/25/01 at 07:03 (037308)

I have recently been put into a walking cast as a last option before the suregery. My doctor was really pushing the surgery. He said that in my case that is more than likely the best way to go. I have only had the cast a couple of days and it isn't helping to much but I am supposed to wear it for 4 weeks. What is your opinion on this surgery and the results. He seems pretty positive about it but I guess I wanted to get other peoples input on this while making my decision. Thank you for your time.

Re: Releasing PF

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/25/01 at 14:51 (037339)

Plantar fascia release results vary from 50% to over 90% sucess rates. It is a option when all conservative treatments fails.

The problem with releases are that they can weaken the arch and force weight on the lateral aspect of the foot. In addition healing time in some small cases can take six months or more for complete healing. ESWT is a non-surgical option that has been very effective. You can read the section on this board. If you would like a packet explaining the procedure and showing patients you can call my office at 1-856-848-3338. Just ask for Dawn or Jennifer and besure to tell them you are a part of heelspurs.com There are many good postings on this web site on the topic of ESWT.

Dr. Kosova on 1/26/01 at 23:26 (037482)

Crystal,

As a last resort try total off weight bearing with a cast with crutches not a walking cast. Saying this if you do decide to have something done do eswt. Surgery is the last resort not eswt. With the good results ,it will probably replace surgery of heel pf pain in the next couple of years. Healthronics.com might have a site near you. It is fda approved and insurance companies are paying for it.

Good Luck.

Dr. Kosova

Shawn on 2/05/01 at 01:14 (038206)

What is ESWT? I am in a similar situation as this woman and want to know what this pre-op alternative is? How is it better than having surgery to release the PF?

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/25/01 at 14:51 (037339)

Plantar fascia release results vary from 50% to over 90% sucess rates. It is a option when all conservative treatments fails.

The problem with releases are that they can weaken the arch and force weight on the lateral aspect of the foot. In addition healing time in some small cases can take six months or more for complete healing. ESWT is a non-surgical option that has been very effective. You can read the section on this board. If you would like a packet explaining the procedure and showing patients you can call my office at 1-856-848-3338. Just ask for Dawn or Jennifer and besure to tell them you are a part of heelspurs.com There are many good postings on this web site on the topic of ESWT.

Dr. Kosova on 1/26/01 at 23:26 (037482)

Crystal,

As a last resort try total off weight bearing with a cast with crutches not a walking cast. Saying this if you do decide to have something done do eswt. Surgery is the last resort not eswt. With the good results ,it will probably replace surgery of heel pf pain in the next couple of years. Healthronics.com might have a site near you. It is fda approved and insurance companies are paying for it.

Good Luck.

Dr. Kosova

Shawn on 2/05/01 at 01:14 (038206)

What is ESWT? I am in a similar situation as this woman and want to know what this pre-op alternative is? How is it better than having surgery to release the PF?