Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Good news Bad news

Posted by Pauline on 1/25/01 at 10:13 (037323)

The good news is my PF went away for aprox 6 months. The bad news is that
it has surfaced again in my right foot. It is still localized at the insertation point in front of the heel.

I was to return to the Ortho in Feb. for a check up. Sure timed this one. It never started on the Right foot before usually the Left. I really think if I could get in tomorrow and he would agree to an injection directly in the localized spot on the bottom of my foot, we could catch
it before it flares. This is highly unlikely since they hate to give those injections, but my thoughts after having this twice before is to hit it early and hit it hard.

So much for my thoughts. I'm on the usual treatment plan again, splint
rest, ice etc etc.

Re: Good news Bad news

Karin L. on 1/25/01 at 16:28 (037346)

Pauline,
Boy do I sympathize with you...had surgery & ESWT last year on my right foot, ESWT seems, knock on wood, to have done the trick, but now this dumb stuff is rearing its ugly little head in my left foot. I really can't believe that this is happening all over again. Back to my pod tomorrow for my one month post ESWT check so need to convince him to give me a 2nd cortizone shot in the left. I don't know about you or anyone else, but I think I have just about hit the wall with this foot stuff. I am really getting frustrated with it all. Even the very best walking shoe that New Balance makes is not helping this pain. I even found myself close to tears at one store that said they were out of the shoe I wanted. Well, thanks for listening to babble on. I hope you have success in getting yours under control. Take care.
Karin

Julie on 1/25/01 at 16:39 (037347)

Pauline, I'm so sorry you're having a new bout of pf. I don't know if this will be any comfort, but an orthopaedic consultant told me recently that 'plantar fasciitis lasts for 12 to 18 months, goes away, then recurs, and then never comes back'. He has a very decided, indeed opinionated, way of expressing himself, and I have no idea if he was right. And I didn't at all like the sound of the inevitable recurrence, but the 'never coming back' bit sounded good to me.

I hope your second bout goes away quickly and never comes back.

Beverly on 1/25/01 at 17:26 (037351)

Pauline,

You've beaten this before and you can do it again! Sorry to hear about the setback, but praise God for those six pain-free months!
Beverly

Re: Found new solution----- Good news Bad news

Pauline on 1/26/01 at 09:22 (037411)

Because this is my third time with PF, I've decided on a relatively
NEW TREATMENT ------ TOTAL FOOT REMOVAL!

Does anyone know if it can come back in your calf?

Just todays thoughts!

Re: But who's going to foot the bill? (Sorry, couldn't resist!) eom

Barbara YX on 1/26/01 at 12:55 (037439)

Steve, you are such a crutch! I knew you would respond archly to all of this - you've always had the tendoncy to do that, whereas I am a little more anti-inflamatory. Thinking about who is going to pay for that will leave her poor sole even more defeeted. Why don't you? You'd be a real shoe-in. The least you could do is sent her a plant ar some flowers... B.

Kay S on 1/26/01 at 20:48 (037473)

If this is true that the usual course is one time and one recurrence in 12-18 months, then I want to take credit for someone else's recurrence! I have had my symptoms for almost five years, so at least two other people should not have to suffer because I have taken their turns.
At least that would make it seem like I am a benefactor, not just a sufferer. It might be more palatable that way.
Kay

Re: Pauline; you know you have PF when....

Kay S on 1/26/01 at 20:55 (037474)

Kim and Pauline--I have also had the amputation thoughts cross my mind. But with our luck, we'd do that and end up with phantom limb pain. So let's not bother with that treatment for now, okay? It's bad enough to have pain in something you actually have, but wouldn't it be awful to have pain in something that wasn't there???
Jumping off the roof is also not an option. As my friend said, I'd probably do that, break all the bones in my feet, and live!
We may have to get more creative in our last ditch efforts.
Kay

Re: You make me sound like such a heel! eom

Julie on 1/27/01 at 03:36 (037496)

OUCH!

Julie on 1/27/01 at 03:40 (037497)

Sorry, Kay. I posted the orthopaedic guy's comment to cheer Pauline, and now I wish I hadn't! Of course he can't be right, no such definite statement can ever be made about pf. I know you've had your foot problems for longer than I can bear to think, and I'm really sorry if my half-in-jest remark upset you.

All the best, Julie

Kay S on 1/27/01 at 09:32 (037515)

Julie--no sweat! I was just kidding too and did not take offense at what you said. I think in most cases, that probably is right, and if it helps someone else to hang in there, keep saying it. Little things like that are supposed to give us something to hang onto, even if they don't apply to every single one of us. (does anything?)
I was trying to think of the word I wanted to use in that post, and at 4 am today, I woke up thinking 'philanthropist'! THAT's what I'd be if I could take someone's turn at recurring pf. 'Crazy' is the other word that comes to mind.
Kay

Pauline on 1/27/01 at 09:49 (037518)

Barb,
Its only when I bare my sole that all the pain appears. If stretching
of my mind can bring on such anti-inflamatory consolations just think of the night splinting headache to follow. Love ya all!

Karin L. on 1/25/01 at 16:28 (037346)

Pauline,
Boy do I sympathize with you...had surgery & ESWT last year on my right foot, ESWT seems, knock on wood, to have done the trick, but now this dumb stuff is rearing its ugly little head in my left foot. I really can't believe that this is happening all over again. Back to my pod tomorrow for my one month post ESWT check so need to convince him to give me a 2nd cortizone shot in the left. I don't know about you or anyone else, but I think I have just about hit the wall with this foot stuff. I am really getting frustrated with it all. Even the very best walking shoe that New Balance makes is not helping this pain. I even found myself close to tears at one store that said they were out of the shoe I wanted. Well, thanks for listening to babble on. I hope you have success in getting yours under control. Take care.
Karin

Julie on 1/25/01 at 16:39 (037347)

Pauline, I'm so sorry you're having a new bout of pf. I don't know if this will be any comfort, but an orthopaedic consultant told me recently that 'plantar fasciitis lasts for 12 to 18 months, goes away, then recurs, and then never comes back'. He has a very decided, indeed opinionated, way of expressing himself, and I have no idea if he was right. And I didn't at all like the sound of the inevitable recurrence, but the 'never coming back' bit sounded good to me.

I hope your second bout goes away quickly and never comes back.

Beverly on 1/25/01 at 17:26 (037351)

Pauline,

You've beaten this before and you can do it again! Sorry to hear about the setback, but praise God for those six pain-free months!
Beverly

Re: Found new solution----- Good news Bad news

Pauline on 1/26/01 at 09:22 (037411)

Because this is my third time with PF, I've decided on a relatively
NEW TREATMENT ------ TOTAL FOOT REMOVAL!

Does anyone know if it can come back in your calf?

Just todays thoughts!

Barbara YX on 1/26/01 at 12:55 (037439)

Steve, you are such a crutch! I knew you would respond archly to all of this - you've always had the tendoncy to do that, whereas I am a little more anti-inflamatory. Thinking about who is going to pay for that will leave her poor sole even more defeeted. Why don't you? You'd be a real shoe-in. The least you could do is sent her a plant ar some flowers... B.

Kay S on 1/26/01 at 20:48 (037473)

If this is true that the usual course is one time and one recurrence in 12-18 months, then I want to take credit for someone else's recurrence! I have had my symptoms for almost five years, so at least two other people should not have to suffer because I have taken their turns.
At least that would make it seem like I am a benefactor, not just a sufferer. It might be more palatable that way.
Kay

Re: Pauline; you know you have PF when....

Kay S on 1/26/01 at 20:55 (037474)

Kim and Pauline--I have also had the amputation thoughts cross my mind. But with our luck, we'd do that and end up with phantom limb pain. So let's not bother with that treatment for now, okay? It's bad enough to have pain in something you actually have, but wouldn't it be awful to have pain in something that wasn't there???
Jumping off the roof is also not an option. As my friend said, I'd probably do that, break all the bones in my feet, and live!
We may have to get more creative in our last ditch efforts.
Kay

Re: You make me sound like such a heel! eom

Julie on 1/27/01 at 03:36 (037496)

OUCH!

Julie on 1/27/01 at 03:40 (037497)

Sorry, Kay. I posted the orthopaedic guy's comment to cheer Pauline, and now I wish I hadn't! Of course he can't be right, no such definite statement can ever be made about pf. I know you've had your foot problems for longer than I can bear to think, and I'm really sorry if my half-in-jest remark upset you.

All the best, Julie

Kay S on 1/27/01 at 09:32 (037515)

Julie--no sweat! I was just kidding too and did not take offense at what you said. I think in most cases, that probably is right, and if it helps someone else to hang in there, keep saying it. Little things like that are supposed to give us something to hang onto, even if they don't apply to every single one of us. (does anything?)
I was trying to think of the word I wanted to use in that post, and at 4 am today, I woke up thinking 'philanthropist'! THAT's what I'd be if I could take someone's turn at recurring pf. 'Crazy' is the other word that comes to mind.
Kay

Pauline on 1/27/01 at 09:49 (037518)

Barb,
Its only when I bare my sole that all the pain appears. If stretching
of my mind can bring on such anti-inflamatory consolations just think of the night splinting headache to follow. Love ya all!