Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MSM

Posted by Barb-NY on 1/26/01 at 12:10 (037434)

A friend of a friend told me about MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane or Dimethyl Sulfone) Has anyone else tried this?

He has aches and pains in his joints and was greatly (GREATLY !!!) helped with it. He said when he ran out of pills for a few days, he noticed the effects.

I did some research...it's indicated for tendonitis, connective tissues, arthritis, and a host of other things. It's sold in health food stores.

I'm buying it today. What do I have to lose? If nothing else, maybe it will help my tennis elbow.

Re: MSM

Barb-NY on 1/26/01 at 12:12 (037435)

It also come in a cream for topical application.

salina on 1/26/01 at 13:31 (037441)

Good luck on trying this. I hope it helps. i keep saying i am going to try the stuff like Glucosamine, MSM, or Bromelain.
But I haven't gotten on anything as of yet.
Maybe you should mark the day you start on the MSM, your pain level, etc etc. And sort of keep a diary of how you are feeling. That way you can tellif it helps, even if it is slight.
I was reading up on glucosamine, and it said if you have been in pain for a LONG time, which I have, it may take a few months before it starts noticeably helping. But others see improvement much quicker and more dramatic.
I have pain in my neck and shoulder a lot these days too, so been wondering if any of these products could help, like an entire body medicine. :)
Good luck with it.

Kim B. on 1/26/01 at 20:27 (037470)

Hi Barb NY,

Be sure to let us know what you think of it. Particularly pay attention to how long it takes to kick in, and anything else you might find of interest. (easy or hard on tummy, side effects, etc.) Thanks for mentioning it!

Kim B.

Bill E. on 1/26/01 at 21:16 (037477)

I believe that this is frequently considered to be a 'solid form of DMSO'. Chemically, the structure is very similar so maybe the biological response is similar. Scott (and others) seems to be a big proponent of DMSO. I think that the major effect is anti-inflamatory. So if inflamation is the problem then it should work. Personally, with absolutely no experience or data, I would be more comfortable using it as a topical cream. Good luck and keep everyone informed. It would be interesting to see if anyone has any hard data on this.

Julie on 1/27/01 at 03:42 (037498)

The other day I saw an a mail order ad for a glucosamine/chondroitin compound that contains MSM. The company were also offering a free tube of MSM cream with every order. Has anybody come across/tried this?

Nancy N on 1/27/01 at 08:14 (037509)

I did a search on the web just now and found some interesting things.

The Harvard Health Letter is rather wary of it--you can find that at http://www.mylifepath.com/article/iac/101081790

Dr. Andrew Weil answered a question about MSM in 1998 on his site (I didn't see anything more recent, which is a shame), you can find that article at http://www.drweil.com/archiveqa/0,2283,1291,00.html

I found what appears to be a Lupus message board, where several people reported their MSM experiences, and that's very interesting. http://www.mtio.com/issboard/messages/8627.html

Let us know how it works for you, Bab--good luck with it!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/27/01 at 14:14 (037532)

I just received a sample from a company called Cho-pats. They make ankle.knee etc braces. Anyway it is in a spray it has MSM in it . There of course testimonals to go with the product. Here is the address and 800 for this company.

Cho-Pot, INC
po box 293
Hainsport, New Jersey
1-800-221-1601

I have no idea if it works . I have one 30ml spray bottle to do what with i don't know.

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 12:00 (037648)

I ran across some of those articles during my research.

Whenever main-stream medicine has anything to say about alternative treatments, I usually take it with a grain of salt. If it were up to some of these guys, vitamins and other supplements would be banned from the market. They can't make money from supplements, they make a bunch of money from drugs.

I do realize that many alternative treatments have been proven to be dangerous....but many have been used in Europe and other countries for years and have a track record. Just like ESWT, it takes years before the USA and FDA gets with the program.

I started taking MSM over the weekend. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens. I plan on using the cream on my feet and elbow.

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 12:06 (037652)

I tried DMSO years ago on my wrist tendonitis. It burned. I believe DMSO is used as a solvent commercially. Although applied topically, it tends to leave a garlic taste in your mouth. Whenever I ate fish, it tasted like scampi :-)

MSM is different than DMSO. More natural to the body.

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 12:14 (037653)

I'm just using the MSM, since Glucosamine/Chondroitin are for cartilage repair and not other types of connective tissue problems. I used to take Glu/Chond and it worked wonders on my knees. I have (had) severe chondromalatia in my knees. It did nothing for my PF. I developed PF during the time I was taking Glu/Chond.

Nancy N on 1/29/01 at 12:34 (037656)

Barb--

I never meant to give the impression that I thought it was bad to try the MSM--sorry if I did (I figured I should include the Harvard article in the interest of fairness). I actually found the comments on that Lupus board rather encouraging. I'm curious to hear how it goes for you--are you using the pills as well as the cream?

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 13:07 (037663)

I hope I didn't sound as though I poopooed your research. Anything anyone can bring to the table here is greatly welcomed and appreciated. All I meant to say was that I am so annoyed with main-stream medicine, and have been for many years. Whenever I discuss an alternative treatments with my doctors, then look at me as if I were from Mars.

I'm been using the pills since yesterday and hope to buy the cream today. I want to hit this thing with all the ammo I can get.

So, when is your next Montefiore appointment. I can't remember when mine is. I think Feb 26 @ 9:15 am. Maybe we'll finally meet!

Nancy N on 1/29/01 at 14:39 (037671)

I totally understand your feelings about mainstream medicine. I understand that there are a lot of quacks out there, but there's a lot of good stuff, too. I used to read the Dr. Weil site almost daily (they're revamping it now so it's been a few months since they've had new stuff) and was always impressed at the way he presented information--sometimes the commercial drug was what he recommended, sometimes not. There's a lot of good information there on alternative therapies.

My next appt. is on the 23rd at noon, I think. Definitely the 23rd, not sure about the noon part :) I keep hoping that they'll zap me while I'm there if I didn't get the real thing, but I doubt that'll be an option. How is your elbow?

Maybe those of us who did the study from this board should arrange to get together sometime in NY?

Andrea on 2/01/01 at 12:40 (037979)

I have been taking Glocusimine with MSM for almost 2 weeks. I beleive it is manufactured by Schiff or Schiffer. I have felt significant improvement in the pain in the ball and heels of my feet. It works much better than the Naprosyn I have been taking. I read a lot of good things about these 2 OTCs and plan on continuing with them along with my Birki's, ice, night splints and stretching. I'm hoping the combination of them all will finally do the trick.

Barb-NY on 1/26/01 at 12:12 (037435)

It also come in a cream for topical application.

salina on 1/26/01 at 13:31 (037441)

Good luck on trying this. I hope it helps. i keep saying i am going to try the stuff like Glucosamine, MSM, or Bromelain.
But I haven't gotten on anything as of yet.
Maybe you should mark the day you start on the MSM, your pain level, etc etc. And sort of keep a diary of how you are feeling. That way you can tellif it helps, even if it is slight.
I was reading up on glucosamine, and it said if you have been in pain for a LONG time, which I have, it may take a few months before it starts noticeably helping. But others see improvement much quicker and more dramatic.
I have pain in my neck and shoulder a lot these days too, so been wondering if any of these products could help, like an entire body medicine. :)
Good luck with it.

Kim B. on 1/26/01 at 20:27 (037470)

Hi Barb NY,

Be sure to let us know what you think of it. Particularly pay attention to how long it takes to kick in, and anything else you might find of interest. (easy or hard on tummy, side effects, etc.) Thanks for mentioning it!

Kim B.

Bill E. on 1/26/01 at 21:16 (037477)

I believe that this is frequently considered to be a 'solid form of DMSO'. Chemically, the structure is very similar so maybe the biological response is similar. Scott (and others) seems to be a big proponent of DMSO. I think that the major effect is anti-inflamatory. So if inflamation is the problem then it should work. Personally, with absolutely no experience or data, I would be more comfortable using it as a topical cream. Good luck and keep everyone informed. It would be interesting to see if anyone has any hard data on this.

Julie on 1/27/01 at 03:42 (037498)

The other day I saw an a mail order ad for a glucosamine/chondroitin compound that contains MSM. The company were also offering a free tube of MSM cream with every order. Has anybody come across/tried this?

Nancy N on 1/27/01 at 08:14 (037509)

I did a search on the web just now and found some interesting things.

The Harvard Health Letter is rather wary of it--you can find that at http://www.mylifepath.com/article/iac/101081790

Dr. Andrew Weil answered a question about MSM in 1998 on his site (I didn't see anything more recent, which is a shame), you can find that article at http://www.drweil.com/archiveqa/0,2283,1291,00.html

I found what appears to be a Lupus message board, where several people reported their MSM experiences, and that's very interesting. http://www.mtio.com/issboard/messages/8627.html

Let us know how it works for you, Bab--good luck with it!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/27/01 at 14:14 (037532)

I just received a sample from a company called Cho-pats. They make ankle.knee etc braces. Anyway it is in a spray it has MSM in it . There of course testimonals to go with the product. Here is the address and 800 for this company.

Cho-Pot, INC
po box 293
Hainsport, New Jersey
1-800-221-1601

I have no idea if it works . I have one 30ml spray bottle to do what with i don't know.

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 12:00 (037648)

I ran across some of those articles during my research.

Whenever main-stream medicine has anything to say about alternative treatments, I usually take it with a grain of salt. If it were up to some of these guys, vitamins and other supplements would be banned from the market. They can't make money from supplements, they make a bunch of money from drugs.

I do realize that many alternative treatments have been proven to be dangerous....but many have been used in Europe and other countries for years and have a track record. Just like ESWT, it takes years before the USA and FDA gets with the program.

I started taking MSM over the weekend. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens. I plan on using the cream on my feet and elbow.

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 12:06 (037652)

I tried DMSO years ago on my wrist tendonitis. It burned. I believe DMSO is used as a solvent commercially. Although applied topically, it tends to leave a garlic taste in your mouth. Whenever I ate fish, it tasted like scampi :-)

MSM is different than DMSO. More natural to the body.

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 12:14 (037653)

I'm just using the MSM, since Glucosamine/Chondroitin are for cartilage repair and not other types of connective tissue problems. I used to take Glu/Chond and it worked wonders on my knees. I have (had) severe chondromalatia in my knees. It did nothing for my PF. I developed PF during the time I was taking Glu/Chond.

Nancy N on 1/29/01 at 12:34 (037656)

Barb--

I never meant to give the impression that I thought it was bad to try the MSM--sorry if I did (I figured I should include the Harvard article in the interest of fairness). I actually found the comments on that Lupus board rather encouraging. I'm curious to hear how it goes for you--are you using the pills as well as the cream?

Barb-NY on 1/29/01 at 13:07 (037663)

I hope I didn't sound as though I poopooed your research. Anything anyone can bring to the table here is greatly welcomed and appreciated. All I meant to say was that I am so annoyed with main-stream medicine, and have been for many years. Whenever I discuss an alternative treatments with my doctors, then look at me as if I were from Mars.

I'm been using the pills since yesterday and hope to buy the cream today. I want to hit this thing with all the ammo I can get.

So, when is your next Montefiore appointment. I can't remember when mine is. I think Feb 26 @ 9:15 am. Maybe we'll finally meet!

Nancy N on 1/29/01 at 14:39 (037671)

I totally understand your feelings about mainstream medicine. I understand that there are a lot of quacks out there, but there's a lot of good stuff, too. I used to read the Dr. Weil site almost daily (they're revamping it now so it's been a few months since they've had new stuff) and was always impressed at the way he presented information--sometimes the commercial drug was what he recommended, sometimes not. There's a lot of good information there on alternative therapies.

My next appt. is on the 23rd at noon, I think. Definitely the 23rd, not sure about the noon part :) I keep hoping that they'll zap me while I'm there if I didn't get the real thing, but I doubt that'll be an option. How is your elbow?

Maybe those of us who did the study from this board should arrange to get together sometime in NY?

Andrea on 2/01/01 at 12:40 (037979)

I have been taking Glocusimine with MSM for almost 2 weeks. I beleive it is manufactured by Schiff or Schiffer. I have felt significant improvement in the pain in the ball and heels of my feet. It works much better than the Naprosyn I have been taking. I read a lot of good things about these 2 OTCs and plan on continuing with them along with my Birki's, ice, night splints and stretching. I'm hoping the combination of them all will finally do the trick.