Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Hi! 3 MONTH UPDATE ON MY EPF SURGERY

Posted by Abby on 1/27/01 at 21:29 (037546)

Well it's been 3 months now since I had EPF surgery and after 2 weeks of walking every other day on the treadmill and pavement my heel feels great. My ankle, however, is bothering me. Recently, since getting back to walking, the pain has intensified. The pain is mainly at the ankle but sometimes will radiate down to the heel or shoot up from the ankle about 3'. My podiatrist suggested that I rest, take warm baths with Epsom salts or ice it, cortisone injections and maybe a nerve release further down the road, if it continues to bother me. This sounds serious. I am very disappointed with this pain. Do you think it is caused by the surgery? I am resting. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Hi! 3 MONTH UPDATE ON MY EPF SURGERY

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/27/01 at 21:36 (037549)

Get off the treadmill now oh please get off the tread mill now. It takes time for the plantar fascia to heal and have strenght. I don't like the treatmill in the first place it can cause pf.

Ok rest , futuro ankle supports, possible air splint. The pain could be TTS irritation but it could also be ligaments and the tendons in the Tarsal tunnel . So get off of the treadmill . Warning get off of the treadmill.

Go to biking or swimming if you must.

Re: Hi! 3 MONTH UPDATE ON MY EPF SURGERY -YOU'RE SCARING ME DR. Z

Abby on 1/28/01 at 14:43 (037590)

Wow, walking on a treadmill can cause PF? I have never heard this before. With all respect, how can this happen Dr. Z? I actually feel as if I'm walking on air on the treadmill as compared to the pavement. For me personally, I think I got PF from doing step aerobics classes for the past 10 years. I've only done the treadmill recently, about once a week for 3 months before the surgery and every other day the past 2 weeks after the surgery. I am not going to do any kind of exercise until this ankle problem clears up. I'm only going to walk when absolutely necessary with my ankle support, use ice, paraffin wax, take Advil and keep my feet up. I want to nip this pain in the bud before it gets worse. Thanks for your help.

Re: Treadmill causes?

Jill P on 1/28/01 at 14:55 (037591)

YIKES! Dr. Z please elaborate! I had a moderate case of PF without realizing it (thought it was just bruised feet from my pregnancy even months after she was born) and bought a treadmill to try and lose the post-pregnancy weight. I used it for about a month almost everyday. My PF got got much worse and when I had trouble walking around even in the house, I finally found this site and from reading realized I needed to see a podiatrist. I have a spur on my right foot which is the worse one. I have not used it since realizing I had PF about a year ago. It sits there still brand new although dusty. UGH! Should I be getting rid of this still new equipment since it sounds like it can cause it? I was hoping that if I ever get over this I would be able to walk on it for exercise. Please elaborate on this!!!! YIKES!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/28/01 at 15:19 (037593)

Yes it can cause pf. Pf is an overuse syndrome and guess what you are doing with the treadmill. You are walking how many miles on it. How long are you using it 30 minutes. . Treadmill walking and or running is still
using your feet and with that lifting your weight each and every step. If you remember an average person who weights 125lbs who takes an average of 5,000 steps per day will lift 125,000 during the time period when he gets up thru bedtime. So very simple trend mill is walking and or running and what do you want to reduce when you have pf.

What will happen if you walk or run if you are prone to pf.

So if you ar going to use the trendmill then stretch, don't over use the machine and wear good supportive shoe. My choice is too eliminate the treadmill if you have pf period.

rekha.s on 1/28/01 at 20:21 (037614)

I got my Pf about 2 1/2 years ago by running on a treadmill in a period of 8 months...

lenore r on 1/29/01 at 07:04 (037629)

i to think the treadmill had some cause in my pf. symptoms started after 6 months of daily workouts, altough i also do work on cement floors. (but i have done that for 14 years) so maybe its just a combo , but i havent been on the treadmill since this all started 3 1/2 years ago.

Kim B. on 1/29/01 at 12:45 (037659)

Treadmill is one of the three suspects in my case of PF, long with tile flooring, and FM. I had a really good treadmill, top of the line, cushioned deck, all bells and whistles. I chose to sell it while I could get the highest possible amount of money out of it. If you wait too long, it will be obsolete and you'll get less money to balance the loss on your investment. In other words, cut your losses.

After I sold my treadmill, I got one month free trial at a local healthclub (The Q). I went down there to experiment for a while on different machines. I found that the semi-recumbant stationary bicycles were the most comfortable all around.

That is one way of seeing what would be good replacement for your treadill. I can't afford a top of the line, semi-recumbant bike and secondly, I really have no place to put it. When I get healthy enoungh, I will join the healthclub, and make use of a variety of different things a little at a time. So far I can tell you that the recumbant bike will be a favorite.

Good luck,
Kim B.

Pamela on 1/29/01 at 20:09 (037695)

I think the treadmill (as well as walking) still involves pushing off, which pulls at the plantar fascia.

I have had great luck with the Precor elyptical machine at our local YMCA. Yes, it is weight-bearing, but the key difference is that to use it, I don't have that 'push off' motion with my feet like walking, a treadmill, or a Nordic track. It doesn't aggravate my feet at all (however, I *do* wear proper workout shoes plus my orthotics while doing this).

Re: Hi! 3 MONTH UPDATE ON MY EPF SURGERY

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/27/01 at 21:36 (037549)

Get off the treadmill now oh please get off the tread mill now. It takes time for the plantar fascia to heal and have strenght. I don't like the treatmill in the first place it can cause pf.

Ok rest , futuro ankle supports, possible air splint. The pain could be TTS irritation but it could also be ligaments and the tendons in the Tarsal tunnel . So get off of the treadmill . Warning get off of the treadmill.

Go to biking or swimming if you must.

Re: Hi! 3 MONTH UPDATE ON MY EPF SURGERY -YOU'RE SCARING ME DR. Z

Abby on 1/28/01 at 14:43 (037590)

Wow, walking on a treadmill can cause PF? I have never heard this before. With all respect, how can this happen Dr. Z? I actually feel as if I'm walking on air on the treadmill as compared to the pavement. For me personally, I think I got PF from doing step aerobics classes for the past 10 years. I've only done the treadmill recently, about once a week for 3 months before the surgery and every other day the past 2 weeks after the surgery. I am not going to do any kind of exercise until this ankle problem clears up. I'm only going to walk when absolutely necessary with my ankle support, use ice, paraffin wax, take Advil and keep my feet up. I want to nip this pain in the bud before it gets worse. Thanks for your help.

Jill P on 1/28/01 at 14:55 (037591)

YIKES! Dr. Z please elaborate! I had a moderate case of PF without realizing it (thought it was just bruised feet from my pregnancy even months after she was born) and bought a treadmill to try and lose the post-pregnancy weight. I used it for about a month almost everyday. My PF got got much worse and when I had trouble walking around even in the house, I finally found this site and from reading realized I needed to see a podiatrist. I have a spur on my right foot which is the worse one. I have not used it since realizing I had PF about a year ago. It sits there still brand new although dusty. UGH! Should I be getting rid of this still new equipment since it sounds like it can cause it? I was hoping that if I ever get over this I would be able to walk on it for exercise. Please elaborate on this!!!! YIKES!

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/28/01 at 15:19 (037593)

Yes it can cause pf. Pf is an overuse syndrome and guess what you are doing with the treadmill. You are walking how many miles on it. How long are you using it 30 minutes. . Treadmill walking and or running is still
using your feet and with that lifting your weight each and every step. If you remember an average person who weights 125lbs who takes an average of 5,000 steps per day will lift 125,000 during the time period when he gets up thru bedtime. So very simple trend mill is walking and or running and what do you want to reduce when you have pf.

What will happen if you walk or run if you are prone to pf.

So if you ar going to use the trendmill then stretch, don't over use the machine and wear good supportive shoe. My choice is too eliminate the treadmill if you have pf period.

rekha.s on 1/28/01 at 20:21 (037614)

I got my Pf about 2 1/2 years ago by running on a treadmill in a period of 8 months...

lenore r on 1/29/01 at 07:04 (037629)

i to think the treadmill had some cause in my pf. symptoms started after 6 months of daily workouts, altough i also do work on cement floors. (but i have done that for 14 years) so maybe its just a combo , but i havent been on the treadmill since this all started 3 1/2 years ago.

Kim B. on 1/29/01 at 12:45 (037659)

Treadmill is one of the three suspects in my case of PF, long with tile flooring, and FM. I had a really good treadmill, top of the line, cushioned deck, all bells and whistles. I chose to sell it while I could get the highest possible amount of money out of it. If you wait too long, it will be obsolete and you'll get less money to balance the loss on your investment. In other words, cut your losses.

After I sold my treadmill, I got one month free trial at a local healthclub (The Q). I went down there to experiment for a while on different machines. I found that the semi-recumbant stationary bicycles were the most comfortable all around.

That is one way of seeing what would be good replacement for your treadill. I can't afford a top of the line, semi-recumbant bike and secondly, I really have no place to put it. When I get healthy enoungh, I will join the healthclub, and make use of a variety of different things a little at a time. So far I can tell you that the recumbant bike will be a favorite.

Good luck,
Kim B.

Pamela on 1/29/01 at 20:09 (037695)

I think the treadmill (as well as walking) still involves pushing off, which pulls at the plantar fascia.

I have had great luck with the Precor elyptical machine at our local YMCA. Yes, it is weight-bearing, but the key difference is that to use it, I don't have that 'push off' motion with my feet like walking, a treadmill, or a Nordic track. It doesn't aggravate my feet at all (however, I *do* wear proper workout shoes plus my orthotics while doing this).