Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My Treadmill - will I ever get on again?

Posted by Jill P on 1/27/01 at 22:07 (037552)

Hello everyone! I really appreciated the help in deciding if I should get the cortisone shot at my appointment yesterday. I talked to the dr about it, and we decided to wait and see if I keep ever so slowly getting better. I was so bad when I went in initially last May after having PF in both feet (right worse) for over a year that he could hardly touch my feet at all. Now I still jumped at this appointment but not as high off the chair,lol! He said basically what I deduced from the talk here that the shots usually are only a temporary fix often given to someone who is in really bad pain. Also he used if the patient hit a plateau and wasn't continuing to improve. He offered that I could get one closer to going to Disney World this spring if I wanted some temporary relief for the trip.

We touched on ESWT which he knew some about seemed interested but thought it was still more in the experimental stages than a proven cure all for PF. Said that a sales rep was supposed to have met with him but didn't show. He thought he might call the guy about it for more info. I felt like from reading here I knew at least as much as he did - maybe a tad more!

So I got another prescription for anti-inflammatories some kind that I will only have to take once a day instead of twice as I usually forgot the second dose of the current one. (His partner saw me and prescribed them the last time since he was called out on an emergency.) I'm doing the stretching, ice, night splint, and continuing with Weight Watchers which has helped me lose 20lbs so far. I don't go anywhere without my Reebok walk DMX with my orthics and wear my Birkenstock soft foot bed sandals around the house and shower shoes in the shower.

So now I'm wondering, will I ever get back on my treadmill? I got one a year ago and used it about a month with moderate PF (before I realized what I had and that this was not a good idea) and after walking faithfully for about a month almost daily, I was so bad I could hardly be up and about. I dreaded getting off the couch as the pain was so bad, and I limped around. Of course since this was before I knew I had PF and all, I had been doing this without the benefit of orthotics or stretching first and icing after. I am scared silly to do anything that would cause me to get worse again, but I am sad to see that great machine that I talked DH into letting me get just sit there. I hope someday to use it again. Do you think I ever will be able to? Should I start thinking about selling this really nice and not so cheap kind of expensive machine? It pains me to even think of that especially since it's still SO unused! I just want to try and be realistic and am not sure how long I should wait before I will know if I can use it again or need to let it go. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Jill P

Re: My Treadmill - will I ever get on again?

Pauline on 1/27/01 at 22:46 (037556)

Cheer up Jill. Don't sell your machine just yet. I predict you will be using it again. Keep it dusted and in good working order. Your case of PF sounds like what the rest of us are dealing with---many who have already recovered and are back to their old activities of walking and even running.

Keep the faith and keep posting.

Re: You'll use the treadmill again

Donna SL on 1/28/01 at 00:18 (037559)

Jill,

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I bought an expensive Nordics track, and couldn't use it for over a year. I couldn't go on it for more than a couple of minutes without it causing pain, or a flareup for days. I never thought I would ever use it again, and think it causes more strain on the calves then a treadmill. I let it sit around for a year debating if I should give it away. I joined a gym and went a couple times a week, and only used the bike, and did some weight training, but I hated going to the gym.

I finally broke down, and bought an expensive stationary recumbent bike, and it's the best thing I ever did. The bike along with all the other therapies I'm doing seems to be acceleating my healing. If I do the bike first I can now use the Nordic track up to 20 minutes at a time a couple days a week with no pain. I used to do an hour and I'm sure one day I will again. I actually elevated the rear of it with a board a little to take some pressure of my calves(reverse incline) I don't know if you could do this with a treadmill.

Since I have the bike at home, I'm using it almost everyday. I think it's acclerating the healing of the PF, because so much blood is getting pumped to the lower extremities, and strengthening the muscles. I can't do an upright bike without getting some pain though.

I know its frustrating to buy a piesce of equipment you can't use right now, but if you can afford it, and have the room, buy a recumbent bike. I promise one day you'll be able to use the treadmill. If you don't have the room for both, then put it away for now. It seems like you are motivated to exercise at home. It's worth every penny to buy the bike. It's an incredible piece of rehab equipment, and one of the best investments you can make for PF. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, buy a medium priced once.

Use the bike as the main part of your exercise program, and do the treadmill little bits at a time, and very gradually increase your time on it. Always do the bike first to get your circulation going. If you don't have orthotics, when you first start using the treadmill I would suggest you tape your feet. PEDDLE USING YOUR MID-FOOT. Take the straps off if you have too. Also, make sure your stretch before, and after. Stretching after you use the bike will help increase your flexibility. If you have any spare room left get a small weight bench, and some weights.

The stronger you are the better you will be equipped to fight this nasty affliction, and hopefully keep it from recurring.

Donna

Julie on 1/28/01 at 07:01 (037562)

Hi Jill

Don't despair. We all wonder if we will ever be able to do what we love doing again. In my case it was walking, but now that I'm better I'm walking and enjoying it. As far as I'm aware, it's the rare case that doesn't get better eventually - it's just hard to imagine the end of it while you're in the midst of it.

Having said that, it might be a good idea to look at Dr Z's post to Abby on the Doctors board, and at least ask him to elaborate on why he feels the treadmill can actually cause PF.

The recumbent bike sounds a very good idea. I feel inspired myself!

Julie

Re: Pauline, Donna, and Julie

Jill P on 1/28/01 at 15:03 (037592)

Thank you all for your replies! Pauline, thanks for the encouragement. It's hard to imagine ever being normal again sometimes while dealing with PF. :)

Donna, I had to LOL at your post about getting all that exercise equipment! My DH is always complaining that we have too much stuff (toys mostly) and I had to talk him into not only letting me get the treadmilll but also that I would be able to keep it where I would actually use it in the family room. It's a big honkin' thing and hasn't even been used for a year. I think he'd just flip if I mention getting anything else,lol! We'll have to see about the other stuff. I am definitely going to keep the recumbent bike in mind. :)

Julie, thanks for your help too! I hadn't ever read the Doctors board as I misunderstood and thought that was only for doctors to talk to each other on. I would never have seen that thread without you pointing me to it. Thanks! I have posted a question there and will be waiting to hear more from Dr. Z. :)

Thanks again all! Jill P

Re: My Treadmill - will I ever get on again?

Pauline on 1/27/01 at 22:46 (037556)

Cheer up Jill. Don't sell your machine just yet. I predict you will be using it again. Keep it dusted and in good working order. Your case of PF sounds like what the rest of us are dealing with---many who have already recovered and are back to their old activities of walking and even running.

Keep the faith and keep posting.

Donna SL on 1/28/01 at 00:18 (037559)

Jill,

I don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I bought an expensive Nordics track, and couldn't use it for over a year. I couldn't go on it for more than a couple of minutes without it causing pain, or a flareup for days. I never thought I would ever use it again, and think it causes more strain on the calves then a treadmill. I let it sit around for a year debating if I should give it away. I joined a gym and went a couple times a week, and only used the bike, and did some weight training, but I hated going to the gym.

I finally broke down, and bought an expensive stationary recumbent bike, and it's the best thing I ever did. The bike along with all the other therapies I'm doing seems to be acceleating my healing. If I do the bike first I can now use the Nordic track up to 20 minutes at a time a couple days a week with no pain. I used to do an hour and I'm sure one day I will again. I actually elevated the rear of it with a board a little to take some pressure of my calves(reverse incline) I don't know if you could do this with a treadmill.

Since I have the bike at home, I'm using it almost everyday. I think it's acclerating the healing of the PF, because so much blood is getting pumped to the lower extremities, and strengthening the muscles. I can't do an upright bike without getting some pain though.

I know its frustrating to buy a piesce of equipment you can't use right now, but if you can afford it, and have the room, buy a recumbent bike. I promise one day you'll be able to use the treadmill. If you don't have the room for both, then put it away for now. It seems like you are motivated to exercise at home. It's worth every penny to buy the bike. It's an incredible piece of rehab equipment, and one of the best investments you can make for PF. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, buy a medium priced once.

Use the bike as the main part of your exercise program, and do the treadmill little bits at a time, and very gradually increase your time on it. Always do the bike first to get your circulation going. If you don't have orthotics, when you first start using the treadmill I would suggest you tape your feet. PEDDLE USING YOUR MID-FOOT. Take the straps off if you have too. Also, make sure your stretch before, and after. Stretching after you use the bike will help increase your flexibility. If you have any spare room left get a small weight bench, and some weights.

The stronger you are the better you will be equipped to fight this nasty affliction, and hopefully keep it from recurring.

Donna

Julie on 1/28/01 at 07:01 (037562)

Hi Jill

Don't despair. We all wonder if we will ever be able to do what we love doing again. In my case it was walking, but now that I'm better I'm walking and enjoying it. As far as I'm aware, it's the rare case that doesn't get better eventually - it's just hard to imagine the end of it while you're in the midst of it.

Having said that, it might be a good idea to look at Dr Z's post to Abby on the Doctors board, and at least ask him to elaborate on why he feels the treadmill can actually cause PF.

The recumbent bike sounds a very good idea. I feel inspired myself!

Julie

Re: Pauline, Donna, and Julie

Jill P on 1/28/01 at 15:03 (037592)

Thank you all for your replies! Pauline, thanks for the encouragement. It's hard to imagine ever being normal again sometimes while dealing with PF. :)

Donna, I had to LOL at your post about getting all that exercise equipment! My DH is always complaining that we have too much stuff (toys mostly) and I had to talk him into not only letting me get the treadmilll but also that I would be able to keep it where I would actually use it in the family room. It's a big honkin' thing and hasn't even been used for a year. I think he'd just flip if I mention getting anything else,lol! We'll have to see about the other stuff. I am definitely going to keep the recumbent bike in mind. :)

Julie, thanks for your help too! I hadn't ever read the Doctors board as I misunderstood and thought that was only for doctors to talk to each other on. I would never have seen that thread without you pointing me to it. Thanks! I have posted a question there and will be waiting to hear more from Dr. Z. :)

Thanks again all! Jill P