Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New sore spot on my foot

Posted by wendyn on 1/29/01 at 13:22 (037665)

Richard - - or anyone else for that matter....

I have developed a new ouch spot on my foot. It's on my inner heel near my arch and it's about the size of a dime. It's red and sore to touch - and it almost tingles a bit like a burn.

Here are my therories - I am waiting to get into the Pod but he's not around yet today.

1. I wore my new orthotics for about 30 minutes Thursday evening. Woke up with significant sciatica and foot pain Friday. Have not worn the orthotics since (I don't know if the pain is from them or not - but I have to wait till everything settles down to try again. I noticed this red spot Saturday. Is it possible this is a friction problem from the orthotics? - if so, I would have thought that I would have noticed it Friday but perhaps legs hurt too much to care.

2. Because my feet were so sore on Friday, I iced them with a real cold gel pack. I wrapped my foot in a paper towl like I usually do first, but when I took off the gel pack about 20 minutes later I do seem to remember a bright white spot in a similar location on my heel. Is it possible that there was a hole in the towel and I've actually given myself frostbite?

3. None of the above, the spot is new and unrelated to anything I've done.

Like I said it's sore, kind of tingly and feels a lot like a burn.

Help!

Re: New sore spot on my foot

Richard, C.Ped on 1/29/01 at 15:21 (037677)

Hi Wendy,
I can only tell you this from my experience. When I first started making orthotics, I had a few patients come back for adjustments. Their complaint was the exact area you are describing, and was about that size. Sometimes, blisters would form in that area. All I did was zap it on the grinder real quick and let them try the inserts again. That usually solved the problem. With my patients, it was just a matter of reducing material in that area.

I hope it is as simple as that for you.
Take care,
Richard

Re: New sore spot on my foot

Richard, C.Ped on 1/29/01 at 15:21 (037677)

Hi Wendy,
I can only tell you this from my experience. When I first started making orthotics, I had a few patients come back for adjustments. Their complaint was the exact area you are describing, and was about that size. Sometimes, blisters would form in that area. All I did was zap it on the grinder real quick and let them try the inserts again. That usually solved the problem. With my patients, it was just a matter of reducing material in that area.

I hope it is as simple as that for you.
Take care,
Richard