Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SURGERY

Posted by DENNIS B. on 1/29/01 at 14:17 (037669)

I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH TTS. HAVE HAD MRI AND NERVE CONDUCTION STUDY. NEUROLOGIST AND ORTHO SURGEON BOTH AGREE IT IS TTS. SURGERY IS SCHEDULED FOR FEB. 07. AM TOLD IT WILL BE ON AN OUTPATIENT BASIS, NO OVERNIGHT IN THE HOSPITAL. SHOULD I PREARRANGE FOR CRUTCHES? AM TOLD THE FOOT WILL BE IN SOME SORT OF A SPLINT. HAVE TTS IN BOTH FEET. RIGHT ONE MORE SEVERE SO WILL HAVE IT OPERATED ON FIRST. ABOUT HOW LONG BEFORE I'LL BE ABLE TO USE STEPS? WILL I NEED TO SLEEP IN A RECLINER WHEN I GET HOME OR WILL I BE ABLE TO SLEEP IN A BED (HAVE A WATERBED)? GUESS I'M A BIT NERVOUS ABOUT THE WHOLE THING AND DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. WILL PHYSICAL THERAPY BE MANDATORY? ANY INFO AND/OR REASSURANCES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Re: SURGERY

Chad H on 1/29/01 at 14:35 (037670)

Dennis,

I wish I could advise you regarding even having the surgery, but I don't know what to say.

The hospital will give you crutches. After having surgery on my right ankle three times, I can say that I am very good at going up the steps with crutches. You can also crawl. You will need someone with you for the first couple of days. Keeping the leg elevated will help also.

Talk to your doctor about how long you need to stay off the ankle. My own experience has been 10 days to 6 weeks, so it can vary.

You will definitely need PT.

I wish you the best of luck. You can read my experience in the post below. Check out the experience of others also. This is not like fixing a broken bone or having tonsils removed. Success rates vary greatly.

Keep us posted.

AJ on 1/30/01 at 11:56 (037749)

I am in the third week of recovering from surgery for TTS. I had it done on an outpatient basis. It was a breeze. They gave me crutches at the hospital and taught me how to use them BEFORE the surgery. Pre-op was 1 hour. Surgery was 45 minutes. And recovery was about 1 or 2 hours. I slept in my bed that night. I did have to prop up my feet though. I continued to do that for a few days in order to reduce swelling.

What can you expect? I was really worried as well. The surgery went well. I was totally out and didn't feel a thing. I was able to walk out (w/crutches) to my car. Someone drove me home. It didn't hurt the first couple of days...but my half cast and bandages felt really hot. It was more annoying than painful. After a few days it did hurt and I took pain medication for it. I couldn't do any weight bearing for 2 1/2 weeks following the surgery. In the second week I got my stitches out and got a soft boot/cam walker.. On the third week, I am putting a little weight but still using crutches. I am going to start physical therapy tommorow. It is my understanding that PT is necessary to reduce scaring.

I am so glad I got the surgery done! I am healing and doing well. Please note it is absolutely essential to follow your doctor's instructions.
Take care!

Jeff D on 1/30/01 at 12:20 (037750)

What type of doctor did your surgery? My orthopedic is very reluctant to doing the surgery and the POD I seen wanted to do it right away. Did you have an EMG prior and was it positive or negative?. My orthopedic told me that his experience has shown that a negative EMG has a higher surgical success rate. My EMG is negative. Sorry for all the questions.

Chad H on 1/30/01 at 12:52 (037752)

Take your pain pills the first couple of days, no matter how good you feel. This is the only way to keep on top of it. I skipped mine at first, and then, about 1 1/2 days after surgery, the pain hit. It was the worse thing ever, and it took a while to get it under control.

Also, I hate being put under with general. For my last surgery, I had an epidural. It was the greatest thing ever. I get violently sick from the general, but with the epidural, I felt like a million bucks after surgery. However, when the epidural finally wore off, that is when the pain hit.

If you are interested, talk to the doc about an epidural. You need to set it up before hand though. General is easier for the doctors, and likely more profitable. They will steer you that way (I hope I don't upset any doctors here, that is not my intention). Stand your ground if you want an epidural. If I have ankle surgery again, it will only be with an epidural.

Good luck.

DENNIS B. on 1/30/01 at 17:42 (037780)

HAVE NOT HAD THE SURGERY YET. WILL BE DONE BY AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. DID HAVE AN EMG THAT DID SHOW THE PRESENCE OF TTS, SO I ASSUME THAT WOULD MEAN A POSITIVE RESULT.

AJ on 1/30/01 at 18:57 (037786)

I am not sure if you are directing the above questions to me...but here goes. I had a POD do the surgery. My EMG showed that the nerve impulses in my problem foot/ankle were slower than normal. I had the results faxed to my neurologist as well. Both my pod and neurologist confirmed the TTS diagnosis.

I wanted to clarify something. I did take pain pills right after the surgery. Basically, on the third day following my surgery, the pain intensified and I felt like I really needed them.

In regard to Chad's comment about an epidural. Personally, I am glad I had general anesthesia. I would not want an epidural because I don't like to idea of having a needle puncture my back. Each person is different.

Additionally, I have one more comment. I am glad that I had the surgery done and I don't regret it at all. I am still healing but I am doing very well. I tried all the conservative treatments and they didn't work.

Mike on 1/30/01 at 19:36 (037789)

Hey, where ya having yours done at? Mine is the same day, maybe we can share a post-op recovery room :)
Anyway, I had my pre-op consult today. My POD said crutches are mandatory, NO weight bearing on the foot until the stitches come out in three to four weeks. Im having two cuts the same day, both on the same foot. One to release the plantar and the other for the lacinate - this one is about 3 to 4' from what I gather.
Yes, I was told to deff take the pain pills. Ive been given Darvon, Toradol and Talwin (might be misspelled)
Yes, I too am nervous as hell.
My POD said should I heel good, Ill be in a cam (soft cast walker) in about 3 weeks. However no standing, etc. No work either.
my problem is trout season is soon approaching and LORD I HATE TO MISS IT!
But he told me it seems highly unlikely I will be wading any streams anytime soon.
I have no restrictions on where to sleep, Im planning on my bed :)
Although ill probably go nuts sitting here in the house!
Done that when I broke the darn thing three years ago for 11 weeks, what a drag.
The thing that hit me today was he said starting the second day, even though I can wear a half cast to protect the stitches, take it off when Im sitting down and move the foot. This helps to stop muscle atrophy, lessens the chance of stiffness, etc. And YES he said PT may be required, but we would cross that bridge when we come to it.
Hey if ya want, email me and we can exchange stories on how were doing.
Thank God for PC's, although thats my job - repair, maintenance, programming. I think Ill be studying for my Microsoft Exam while Im off.
Let me know how it goes.

Mike

wendyn on 1/30/01 at 21:36 (037802)

AJ - I am so happy that you are doing well. It sounds like you have tried everything and you did what you felt was right for you. In the interest of being fair to others considering surgery though - I get real nervous when someone at the 3 week mark refers to surgery as a 'breeze' and that they have no regrets. I am not anticipating anything bad to happen to you - nor do I hope you have anything BUT absolute success - but it's still a tad early in your recovery to pronounce it's merits. I doesn't sound like you've resumed normal activity yet - and you haven't had enough time to assess the success of your sugery. I think sugery always needs to be weighed very carefully - and never regarded as something trivial. For many people tarsal tunnel surgery can be a very long recovery.

Please accept this only as my concern to not give others 'false' hope prematurely - it is not a condemenation of you or what you said - only what I hope is a further clarification. Feel free to comment further - that's why we're all here!

AJ on 1/31/01 at 08:00 (037829)

Ok, point taken. Well, the surgery itself was easy. Recovery is obviously not so easy. And I have been quite clear about what stage of recovery I am at. Also, I felt I great deal of relief when I finally had the surgery. Based on what the doctor found, surgery was the right option for me. Everybody's case is different. For me conservative measures would never have worked.

I wanted to provide my point of view because I rarely read any positive experiences with surgery on this board.

wendyn on 1/31/01 at 14:01 (037865)

Thanks AJ - but you're right - we really do need some positive surgery stories here. Can you give us some history on your condition - and what did your doctors find during sugery that they were able to fix for you?

DENNIS B. on 1/31/01 at 15:50 (037883)

HI MIKE. I LIVE IN NEBRASKA AND BASED ON YOUR COMMENT ABOUT THE FORTHCOMING TROUT SEASON I'D DEFINITELY SAY WE WON'T SHARE THE SAME POST-OP ROOM. AM ONLY SUPPOSED TO HAVE ONE INCISION FOR TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASEAND BASED ON THE WAY THE ORTOPEDIC SURGEON DESCRIBED IT, IT TOO WILL BE ABOUT 4' LONG, ON THE INSIDE OF THE FOOT FROM NEAR THE ANKLE BONE AND THEN ARCHING DOWN TO THE ARCH. IF THIS IS SUCCESSFUL, NEED TO HAVE THE OTHER ONE DONE AFTER THE FIRST IS HEALED. HAD MY ACL REPLACED ON THE CORRESPONDING LEG ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AND ATROPHY IS A REAL BEARCAT. NEVER WILL FORGET HOW 'SHRIVELED' MY THIGH AND CALF LOOKED THE FIRST TIME THE LEG BRACE CAME OFF. WAS ALSO VERY STIFF AND SORE. IF THEY RECOMMEND RAKING OFF THE HALF CAST WHILE SITTING DOWN SO THAT YOU CAN MOVE THE FOOT, I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT. I HAVE LINED UP THINGS TO DO WHILE IMMOBILE. FOR INSTANCE, PUTTING TOGETHER A SET OF THE NEW STATE TYPE QUARTERS FOR EACH OF MY GRANDKIDS, CROSSWORD PUZZLES, ETC. AM 50 YEARS OLD, SO I WONDER WHAT THAT MAY DO TO LENGTHEN MY RECOVERY TIME. AM USED TO BEING AROUND THE HOUSE ALL OF THE TIME AS AM UNABLE TO STAND OR SIT VERY LONG DUE TO TTS PAIN. HAVE TO LAY DOWN OR RECLINE IN THE CHAIR EVERY SO OFTEN. CAN'T TOLERATE SITTING BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL OF THE VEHICLE FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES. A FEW MONTHS AGO WAS ABLE TO DRIVE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE IT GOT BAD. SO, AM HOPEFUL THE SURGERY WILL DO THE TRICK. I'LL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOU. GGOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR SURGERY, AFTER ALL IT IS ON THE 7TH, AND 7 IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LUCKY NUMBER.

Christine DeGraw on 2/01/01 at 08:54 (037952)

Hi! Felt I had to write...I had TTS and Plantar Release Surgery in November. I had a local so I was awake the entire time and able to leave the hospital immediately after surgery. My foot was immoble for 2 weeks and I was told not to bear any weight on it for that time...As my bathroom is upstairs...i got pretty good at crawling on my knees and the going backwards up the stairs...I would not recommend using crutches on stairs to dangerous and there is potential for falling ezp if you are on pain meds!
I wore a removeable cast for 1 week and was back to work on week #4. I would recommend staying off of it as the doctor advises...I still have some swelling and will begin PT soon, probably should have had it done before but the doctor didn't recommend it until now.
I am a stubborn person and did many things i probably should not have which most likely resulted in the swelling....(I was bowling 3 weeks following surgery!)
Currently the pain has improved...teh plantar release was great...still have some pain but nothing like before and it feels different...i believe the current pain I have will disappear as i continue to recover...I'm told it can take up to 6 months!
Good Luck!

AJ on 2/01/01 at 09:58 (037956)

Two and a half years ago it all started. I had a really strenous excercise program and kept on going through the pain. I had sprained both ankles a couple of times during this period. But, I continued to work out/hight impact stuff. Finally, I went to see a POD. His suggestions didn't work. Six months later I went to another. He was more effective. I got cortisone shots, different orthotics etc. This reduced the pain but not completely. In the following months, I started to develop Tarsal Tunnel symptoms burning, numbness etc. I got an EMG and got the results. I had TTS. THat was a totally bad day when I got the news. I got a second opinion and went to see a neurologist. She confirmed it. Basically, I tried conservative measures for a year and my symptoms only got worse.

I had the surgery and the doc found that a muscle was pressing down on the nerve and the nerve did not look that great. It was much larger than normal. I also had structural problems with another muscle. He said he fixed/moved the muscle causing the compression. Later, afer the surgery he said that the problem was most likely caused by injury to the area. Earlier he told me that we tried all the conservative measures and they didn't work, you need to have surgery before you screw up the nerve. He was absolutely right and I hope to God that the surgery was not too late.
So far so good.

JudyS on 2/01/01 at 10:23 (037959)

Christine - thank you so much for telling us about your surgery. The more information we can get from real experience is a great boost - especially because we don't hear often enough from folks who've had a successful surgical experience (which, by the way, is the vast majority of surgical patients....). Hope you'll keep us informed for a while to come.

Mor S on 2/01/01 at 10:47 (037961)

Hey guys.
I'm also scheduled for first TTS surgery on Feb. 7th, in Houston, TX.
If that surgery will be successful I'll have another one on the other foot.

Unlike other voices here I'm an optimistic person and had proven fast recovery capabilities after a major surgery following a car accident.

Putting all information I gather and the docs' thoughts together I am quite convinced that I have TTS.

My only main regret is having to put off Squash for some time...

Will update ya'll with results.

Mor

Chad H on 2/01/01 at 11:13 (037964)

Mor,

Your optimism is shared by all, and since we are all in a similar situation, we want nothing more than for each and every one of us to find relieve. Positive outlooks are extremely important when dealing with this problem.

However, I take your comment personally. - 'Unlike other voices here I'm an optimistic person'

I, like most people, come to this board looking for information, understanding and support. I realize that a thread like the one I started below is not the most positive, but that is honestly how I feel at time. My wife and family don't understand this pain, and I can't continually burden them with my problems.

We are all optimistic, but we also need to be realistic, honest and supportive as well.

wendyn on 2/01/01 at 14:18 (037987)

Chad - don't take it personally - there's no way on a board to tell who most comments are directed at. You have a right to be a little pessimistic - you've been through a lot. The bottom line is still that surgical correction of TTS should only be attempted after everything else fails. It sounds like AJ was a perfect surgical candidate because they did everything they could. It also sounds like the doctor found some hopefully problems that are now corrected. You will notice that the longer people have dealth with this, the more they have been through, and the more they've researched TTS - the less optimistic they usually are.

Mor S on 2/01/01 at 17:06 (038006)

Hey.
Wendyn is right. I was not targeting at anyone personally. Each one has his own history. The thing is, that TTS objectively presents poor results in general and this was my impression after having read all of this board.

I merely expressed my own optimism in light of my own history and experience, despite of the fact that I suffer from TTS for more than 11 years now.

going back now and reading your history do bring up respect to what you have gone through. Good luck in the future with your situation.

Mor.

Kay S on 2/01/01 at 19:40 (038016)

Chad--probably the reason mor thinks we are not optimistic is because most of us who have already had the surgery did not achieve the results we had hoped for. I don't think that is not optimistic either, because before I had the surgery I absolutely couldn't wait, thinking it was going to be my first step towards a pain free existence. For me, it did almost nothing. I had some numbness along the outside of my foot (actually, I was diagnosed with tts in BOTH feet)which is now gone, but that's really all it accomplished for me. I was so desperate to believe that this would help that I had already planned on having the second one done a few months after the first one. Now, even though I still have tts in the other foot, I won't plan on the surgery because it did not help me very much.
I think that my situation was created from the way I walked to protect myself from the pain.........and I developed neuromas, tts, etc. AFTER that. Very few people have tts in both feet and if you do, one has to ask 'why?' So Mor, if you are reading this, I hope that you have done all of the biomechanical things such as orthotics, etc. to try to get at the source of your tts before you have the surgery. Probably you have done that, and if so I hope your surgery turns out great and you heal quickly and thoroughly and never have a minute's pain again.
I didn't think the surgery was that bad, but it was so depressing when I was healing well and realized that my heel pain was as bad as ever, maybe even worse. Then it seemed like I did it for nothing.
Hang in there Chad. We are all in the same boat here!
Kay

Chad H on 2/02/01 at 09:31 (038054)

Mor - Please keep us posted on your progress, and best of luck. We are all on the same side. I am going to give some advice, I hope you don't mind :-)

Stay off the foot as much as possible for the first couple of weeks. I don't know how long you will be in a cast, but take it easy. Swelling has been a major problem for me after surgery (I still have swelling). My first surgery was just before Thanksgiving, and I spent Thanksgiving night standing up playing darts and hanging out with the guys. This was not a good idea!

You sound like a very active person who is ready to get going again. I don't blame you, but do take it easy at first. I think this will pay-off down the road!

I will likely have surgery again sometime in the future. I will approach it with the same optimism you have!

Good Luck!

Mor S on 2/02/01 at 10:09 (038057)

Thanks for the advice. I'll surely keep off my foot.

Will keep you posted with progress.

Mor.

thea on 2/04/01 at 20:16 (038197)

Hey! I had to write and tell all of you that i just found this site and i thank all of you. It is such a relieve to find someone else with tts and to be able to ask questions. I was just diagnosed with tts however have had a lot of pain in the last several months. I am on my fourth doctor who has been great and has taken every direction to try to find out why i had so much pain. I have been in a cam walker with crutches for the last 4 weeks. drs wanted to immobilize it to see if that helps. (nope) now i am still in the cast and receiving 2 cortizone shots a week. supposively this will be for at least 3 weeks. however, im not to happy about the injections because of unknown side effects. I had a few injections in Dec that did not work. This week after the injections i have had no relieve from pain even staying off of my foot. being off my foot and not able to work,drive, or exercise for the last 4 weeks (6 months) is not making me very optimistic about this whole ordeal. I just want an end. I feel like i have tried everything from second opinions, cortizone, immoblization. I understand that the doctors don't want to jump into surgery to fast however im not willing to live on crutches for the whole year of 2001. Im also very stubborn and confused. Im trying hard to do what the doctors tell me. i just want an end. if anyone has any experiences reference the cortizone injections please throw them my way. Also am i just being impatient. Help!! Thank you for listening

wendyn on 2/05/01 at 07:45 (038217)

Thea, I understood that it was safe to only have up to 3 cortizone shots in the same location in a one year span. Even less can significantly weaken the tendon and put you at risk for potential rupture. A lot of us with TTS also have problems related to the Post Tib Tendon. How many shots have you had?

chris d on 2/05/01 at 07:54 (038218)

I agree...I was also told only 3 injections in the same location. I too tried everything...I basically refused the immobilization of my foot..i couldn't restrict myself for that long of a time...the injections did help a little but not enough. Prior to surgery, i had PT (ultrasound, deep massage and some sort of electo-shock thing) injections, celebrex medication, inserts...including fancy custom made ones...and the removeable cast...I have never heard of what wendyn wrote about...

Mor S on 2/05/01 at 15:22 (038237)

Thea,

One of the problems with TTS is to diagnose it correctly.
I understand that it was diagnosed as such by more than one doctor.
If so, giving the fact that all other games are just temporary relieves (if at all) I'll seriously consider surgery.

Good Luck.

thea on 2/05/01 at 22:40 (038273)

I had two injections at the end of dec. in the same spot. then last week i had another injection in that same spot and also on the side of the foot. Doc wants to continue this for 2 more weeks. I don't know if i like that. And yes the immobilization is hard. It really worries me with the effect it might have on my job. thank you for responding. I know the feeling of trying to explain to family and friends and feeling they might be tired of hearing about the pain. thank you again

thea on 2/05/01 at 22:43 (038274)

Mor-
I think you are right. In the last day i have had more pain then ever and it just seems to be getting worse, even under the doctors care. That really worries me. Thank you

carol on 2/07/01 at 08:35 (038338)

Dennis - please let me know how you are doing. My problem sounds just like yours - its dreadful and I feel my life is on hold with the pain. Hope it went well for you. Have you any tips. Regards Carol in Africa.

carol on 2/07/01 at 08:58 (038342)

Hi Mor - just realised you are having surgery today. Good luck - we are 8 hours ahead of you in time so can imagining you feeling a bit nervous right now. I go in on Tuesday. Maybe when I can get to my computer again we can compare notes! good luck. Carol

carol on 2/08/01 at 04:27 (038415)

Thea - your story sounds just like mine and I really sympathise. It is the most awful thing and nothing has helped me over a period of five years. i AM going for surgery on Tuesday and can't wait as am very optomistic. The Doc has given it an 80 % chance of success. I will keep you posted as to my progess to give you I hope some sort of insight and hope for yourself. I am having an epidural which I am relieved about as hate to be put under completely. Best of luck. Carol

carol on 2/08/01 at 04:30 (038416)

How are you doing after surgery? I am going in on Tuesday and woprogeruld love some feedback on your progress afterward and any tips you have on rehabilitation. Thanks Carol

carol on 2/09/01 at 01:23 (038501)

Thanks Mor for your prompt reply - good to hear it was a breeze and really hope you are going to be OK. You advice is great. I am actually going to the top surgeon for feet in the country and his is very experienced indeed. I have been to four other orthapaedic guys and they have got it all wrong. Have taken so many painkillers etc. You know the scenario. I won't be able to get to my computer for a while but will try and get my e-mail opened but will communicate with you when I am more mobile. Carol in Johannesburg.

DENNIS B. on 2/10/01 at 13:20 (038619)

SEE MY 02/10/01 POST ABOVE ENTITLED 'EPIDURAL AND SURGERY ARE OVER'. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. DENNIS

thea on 2/19/01 at 21:27 (039427)

i hope everything went ok with your surgery. i couldnt imagine lasting 5 years with this pain. i have just decided yes for surgery and now im just waiting for a date. it will be in the next 2 weeks sometime. im a little nervous. never had any kind of surgery or anything done. scared because it is our feet their messing with. any optimistic words and suggestions to help past this time before surgery would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, thea

DENNIS B. on 2/20/01 at 14:14 (039465)

I HAD TTS SURGERY ON FEB 07. IT WAS RIGHT AROUND 4 HOURS FROM THE TIME I WALDED INTO THE SURGERY CENTER UNTIL I WAS ABLE TO LEAVE (ON CRUTCHES). I HAD A GENERAL ANESTHETIC SO I WAS ASLEEP FOR THE WHOLE PROCEDURE WHICH LASTED ABOUT 45 MINUTES. SEEMS THE REAL KEY TO IT IS TO FIRST OF ALL FOLLOW THE DR.'S INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHEN YOU GET HOME, BE SURE TO HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU FOR THE FIRST DAY (LONGER, IF YOU NEED TO), AND TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS AS DIRECTED AND FAITHFULLY. I WENT IN THIS AM FOR A FOLLOW UP WITH MY SURGEON. THEY TOOK OUT THE 12 STAPLES THAT WERE PUT IN IN LIEU OF STITCHES AND HE TOLD ME TO START TO WEAN MYSELF OFF OF THE CRUTCHES. WHAT I'VE SEEN ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS CLEAR, EVERY PERSONS SITUATION SEEMS TO BE JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT. APPROACH THE SURGERY AND RECOVERY WITH A 'CAN DO' ATTITUDE. PERSONALLY, I OPTED FOR THE SURGERY BECAUSE I FELT I HAD EVERYTHING TO GAIN AND NOTHING TO LOSE, TIME WILL TELL. IF THE SURGERY ON MY RIGHT FOOT HELPS, I WILL THEN LOOK AT HAVING IT PERFORMED ON MY LEFT FOOT. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.

chris d on 2/21/01 at 07:39 (039537)

Has your doctor recommended any PT following your surgery? I just started PT last week and have seen much improvement. Swelling has decreased and pain has lessened. I don't know if PT is usually required but suspect i should have had it sooner. Also, after my stiches were taken out, i was required to wear a boot cast for a week, I found it quite helpful. Good luck and speedy recovery to you!

DENNIS B. on 2/21/01 at 12:36 (039559)

NO, NOTHING ON PT YET. I HINTED ABOUT IT TO THE DR YESTERDAY BUT HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. I TOLD HIM I HAD BEEN TRYING TO AT LEAST KEEP ATROPY FROM DEVELOPING IN MY QUAD. WAS DOWN THE PT ROAD ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD ONE KNEE REBUILT, IRONICALLY THE KNEE ON THE SAME LEG ON WHICH I HAD THE TTS SURGERY. I GO BACK IN 4 WEEKS AND SUSPECT HE MAY RECOMMEND PT THEN, HOWEVER WILL DO WHAT I CAN HERE TO LOOSEN UP THE AFFECTED AREA.

Chad H on 1/29/01 at 14:35 (037670)

Dennis,

I wish I could advise you regarding even having the surgery, but I don't know what to say.

The hospital will give you crutches. After having surgery on my right ankle three times, I can say that I am very good at going up the steps with crutches. You can also crawl. You will need someone with you for the first couple of days. Keeping the leg elevated will help also.

Talk to your doctor about how long you need to stay off the ankle. My own experience has been 10 days to 6 weeks, so it can vary.

You will definitely need PT.

I wish you the best of luck. You can read my experience in the post below. Check out the experience of others also. This is not like fixing a broken bone or having tonsils removed. Success rates vary greatly.

Keep us posted.

AJ on 1/30/01 at 11:56 (037749)

I am in the third week of recovering from surgery for TTS. I had it done on an outpatient basis. It was a breeze. They gave me crutches at the hospital and taught me how to use them BEFORE the surgery. Pre-op was 1 hour. Surgery was 45 minutes. And recovery was about 1 or 2 hours. I slept in my bed that night. I did have to prop up my feet though. I continued to do that for a few days in order to reduce swelling.

What can you expect? I was really worried as well. The surgery went well. I was totally out and didn't feel a thing. I was able to walk out (w/crutches) to my car. Someone drove me home. It didn't hurt the first couple of days...but my half cast and bandages felt really hot. It was more annoying than painful. After a few days it did hurt and I took pain medication for it. I couldn't do any weight bearing for 2 1/2 weeks following the surgery. In the second week I got my stitches out and got a soft boot/cam walker.. On the third week, I am putting a little weight but still using crutches. I am going to start physical therapy tommorow. It is my understanding that PT is necessary to reduce scaring.

I am so glad I got the surgery done! I am healing and doing well. Please note it is absolutely essential to follow your doctor's instructions.
Take care!

Jeff D on 1/30/01 at 12:20 (037750)

What type of doctor did your surgery? My orthopedic is very reluctant to doing the surgery and the POD I seen wanted to do it right away. Did you have an EMG prior and was it positive or negative?. My orthopedic told me that his experience has shown that a negative EMG has a higher surgical success rate. My EMG is negative. Sorry for all the questions.

Chad H on 1/30/01 at 12:52 (037752)

Take your pain pills the first couple of days, no matter how good you feel. This is the only way to keep on top of it. I skipped mine at first, and then, about 1 1/2 days after surgery, the pain hit. It was the worse thing ever, and it took a while to get it under control.

Also, I hate being put under with general. For my last surgery, I had an epidural. It was the greatest thing ever. I get violently sick from the general, but with the epidural, I felt like a million bucks after surgery. However, when the epidural finally wore off, that is when the pain hit.

If you are interested, talk to the doc about an epidural. You need to set it up before hand though. General is easier for the doctors, and likely more profitable. They will steer you that way (I hope I don't upset any doctors here, that is not my intention). Stand your ground if you want an epidural. If I have ankle surgery again, it will only be with an epidural.

Good luck.

DENNIS B. on 1/30/01 at 17:42 (037780)

HAVE NOT HAD THE SURGERY YET. WILL BE DONE BY AN ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON. DID HAVE AN EMG THAT DID SHOW THE PRESENCE OF TTS, SO I ASSUME THAT WOULD MEAN A POSITIVE RESULT.

AJ on 1/30/01 at 18:57 (037786)

I am not sure if you are directing the above questions to me...but here goes. I had a POD do the surgery. My EMG showed that the nerve impulses in my problem foot/ankle were slower than normal. I had the results faxed to my neurologist as well. Both my pod and neurologist confirmed the TTS diagnosis.

I wanted to clarify something. I did take pain pills right after the surgery. Basically, on the third day following my surgery, the pain intensified and I felt like I really needed them.

In regard to Chad's comment about an epidural. Personally, I am glad I had general anesthesia. I would not want an epidural because I don't like to idea of having a needle puncture my back. Each person is different.

Additionally, I have one more comment. I am glad that I had the surgery done and I don't regret it at all. I am still healing but I am doing very well. I tried all the conservative treatments and they didn't work.

Mike on 1/30/01 at 19:36 (037789)

Hey, where ya having yours done at? Mine is the same day, maybe we can share a post-op recovery room :)
Anyway, I had my pre-op consult today. My POD said crutches are mandatory, NO weight bearing on the foot until the stitches come out in three to four weeks. Im having two cuts the same day, both on the same foot. One to release the plantar and the other for the lacinate - this one is about 3 to 4' from what I gather.
Yes, I was told to deff take the pain pills. Ive been given Darvon, Toradol and Talwin (might be misspelled)
Yes, I too am nervous as hell.
My POD said should I heel good, Ill be in a cam (soft cast walker) in about 3 weeks. However no standing, etc. No work either.
my problem is trout season is soon approaching and LORD I HATE TO MISS IT!
But he told me it seems highly unlikely I will be wading any streams anytime soon.
I have no restrictions on where to sleep, Im planning on my bed :)
Although ill probably go nuts sitting here in the house!
Done that when I broke the darn thing three years ago for 11 weeks, what a drag.
The thing that hit me today was he said starting the second day, even though I can wear a half cast to protect the stitches, take it off when Im sitting down and move the foot. This helps to stop muscle atrophy, lessens the chance of stiffness, etc. And YES he said PT may be required, but we would cross that bridge when we come to it.
Hey if ya want, email me and we can exchange stories on how were doing.
Thank God for PC's, although thats my job - repair, maintenance, programming. I think Ill be studying for my Microsoft Exam while Im off.
Let me know how it goes.

Mike

wendyn on 1/30/01 at 21:36 (037802)

AJ - I am so happy that you are doing well. It sounds like you have tried everything and you did what you felt was right for you. In the interest of being fair to others considering surgery though - I get real nervous when someone at the 3 week mark refers to surgery as a 'breeze' and that they have no regrets. I am not anticipating anything bad to happen to you - nor do I hope you have anything BUT absolute success - but it's still a tad early in your recovery to pronounce it's merits. I doesn't sound like you've resumed normal activity yet - and you haven't had enough time to assess the success of your sugery. I think sugery always needs to be weighed very carefully - and never regarded as something trivial. For many people tarsal tunnel surgery can be a very long recovery.

Please accept this only as my concern to not give others 'false' hope prematurely - it is not a condemenation of you or what you said - only what I hope is a further clarification. Feel free to comment further - that's why we're all here!

AJ on 1/31/01 at 08:00 (037829)

Ok, point taken. Well, the surgery itself was easy. Recovery is obviously not so easy. And I have been quite clear about what stage of recovery I am at. Also, I felt I great deal of relief when I finally had the surgery. Based on what the doctor found, surgery was the right option for me. Everybody's case is different. For me conservative measures would never have worked.

I wanted to provide my point of view because I rarely read any positive experiences with surgery on this board.

wendyn on 1/31/01 at 14:01 (037865)

Thanks AJ - but you're right - we really do need some positive surgery stories here. Can you give us some history on your condition - and what did your doctors find during sugery that they were able to fix for you?

DENNIS B. on 1/31/01 at 15:50 (037883)

HI MIKE. I LIVE IN NEBRASKA AND BASED ON YOUR COMMENT ABOUT THE FORTHCOMING TROUT SEASON I'D DEFINITELY SAY WE WON'T SHARE THE SAME POST-OP ROOM. AM ONLY SUPPOSED TO HAVE ONE INCISION FOR TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASEAND BASED ON THE WAY THE ORTOPEDIC SURGEON DESCRIBED IT, IT TOO WILL BE ABOUT 4' LONG, ON THE INSIDE OF THE FOOT FROM NEAR THE ANKLE BONE AND THEN ARCHING DOWN TO THE ARCH. IF THIS IS SUCCESSFUL, NEED TO HAVE THE OTHER ONE DONE AFTER THE FIRST IS HEALED. HAD MY ACL REPLACED ON THE CORRESPONDING LEG ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO AND ATROPHY IS A REAL BEARCAT. NEVER WILL FORGET HOW 'SHRIVELED' MY THIGH AND CALF LOOKED THE FIRST TIME THE LEG BRACE CAME OFF. WAS ALSO VERY STIFF AND SORE. IF THEY RECOMMEND RAKING OFF THE HALF CAST WHILE SITTING DOWN SO THAT YOU CAN MOVE THE FOOT, I WOULD DEFINITELY DO IT. I HAVE LINED UP THINGS TO DO WHILE IMMOBILE. FOR INSTANCE, PUTTING TOGETHER A SET OF THE NEW STATE TYPE QUARTERS FOR EACH OF MY GRANDKIDS, CROSSWORD PUZZLES, ETC. AM 50 YEARS OLD, SO I WONDER WHAT THAT MAY DO TO LENGTHEN MY RECOVERY TIME. AM USED TO BEING AROUND THE HOUSE ALL OF THE TIME AS AM UNABLE TO STAND OR SIT VERY LONG DUE TO TTS PAIN. HAVE TO LAY DOWN OR RECLINE IN THE CHAIR EVERY SO OFTEN. CAN'T TOLERATE SITTING BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL OF THE VEHICLE FOR MORE THAN 30 MINUTES. A FEW MONTHS AGO WAS ABLE TO DRIVE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR BEFORE IT GOT BAD. SO, AM HOPEFUL THE SURGERY WILL DO THE TRICK. I'LL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOU. GGOD LUCK TO YOU ON YOUR SURGERY, AFTER ALL IT IS ON THE 7TH, AND 7 IS SUPPOSED TO BE A LUCKY NUMBER.

Christine DeGraw on 2/01/01 at 08:54 (037952)

Hi! Felt I had to write...I had TTS and Plantar Release Surgery in November. I had a local so I was awake the entire time and able to leave the hospital immediately after surgery. My foot was immoble for 2 weeks and I was told not to bear any weight on it for that time...As my bathroom is upstairs...i got pretty good at crawling on my knees and the going backwards up the stairs...I would not recommend using crutches on stairs to dangerous and there is potential for falling ezp if you are on pain meds!
I wore a removeable cast for 1 week and was back to work on week #4. I would recommend staying off of it as the doctor advises...I still have some swelling and will begin PT soon, probably should have had it done before but the doctor didn't recommend it until now.
I am a stubborn person and did many things i probably should not have which most likely resulted in the swelling....(I was bowling 3 weeks following surgery!)
Currently the pain has improved...teh plantar release was great...still have some pain but nothing like before and it feels different...i believe the current pain I have will disappear as i continue to recover...I'm told it can take up to 6 months!
Good Luck!

AJ on 2/01/01 at 09:58 (037956)

Two and a half years ago it all started. I had a really strenous excercise program and kept on going through the pain. I had sprained both ankles a couple of times during this period. But, I continued to work out/hight impact stuff. Finally, I went to see a POD. His suggestions didn't work. Six months later I went to another. He was more effective. I got cortisone shots, different orthotics etc. This reduced the pain but not completely. In the following months, I started to develop Tarsal Tunnel symptoms burning, numbness etc. I got an EMG and got the results. I had TTS. THat was a totally bad day when I got the news. I got a second opinion and went to see a neurologist. She confirmed it. Basically, I tried conservative measures for a year and my symptoms only got worse.

I had the surgery and the doc found that a muscle was pressing down on the nerve and the nerve did not look that great. It was much larger than normal. I also had structural problems with another muscle. He said he fixed/moved the muscle causing the compression. Later, afer the surgery he said that the problem was most likely caused by injury to the area. Earlier he told me that we tried all the conservative measures and they didn't work, you need to have surgery before you screw up the nerve. He was absolutely right and I hope to God that the surgery was not too late.
So far so good.

JudyS on 2/01/01 at 10:23 (037959)

Christine - thank you so much for telling us about your surgery. The more information we can get from real experience is a great boost - especially because we don't hear often enough from folks who've had a successful surgical experience (which, by the way, is the vast majority of surgical patients....). Hope you'll keep us informed for a while to come.

Mor S on 2/01/01 at 10:47 (037961)

Hey guys.
I'm also scheduled for first TTS surgery on Feb. 7th, in Houston, TX.
If that surgery will be successful I'll have another one on the other foot.

Unlike other voices here I'm an optimistic person and had proven fast recovery capabilities after a major surgery following a car accident.

Putting all information I gather and the docs' thoughts together I am quite convinced that I have TTS.

My only main regret is having to put off Squash for some time...

Will update ya'll with results.

Mor

Chad H on 2/01/01 at 11:13 (037964)

Mor,

Your optimism is shared by all, and since we are all in a similar situation, we want nothing more than for each and every one of us to find relieve. Positive outlooks are extremely important when dealing with this problem.

However, I take your comment personally. - 'Unlike other voices here I'm an optimistic person'

I, like most people, come to this board looking for information, understanding and support. I realize that a thread like the one I started below is not the most positive, but that is honestly how I feel at time. My wife and family don't understand this pain, and I can't continually burden them with my problems.

We are all optimistic, but we also need to be realistic, honest and supportive as well.

wendyn on 2/01/01 at 14:18 (037987)

Chad - don't take it personally - there's no way on a board to tell who most comments are directed at. You have a right to be a little pessimistic - you've been through a lot. The bottom line is still that surgical correction of TTS should only be attempted after everything else fails. It sounds like AJ was a perfect surgical candidate because they did everything they could. It also sounds like the doctor found some hopefully problems that are now corrected. You will notice that the longer people have dealth with this, the more they have been through, and the more they've researched TTS - the less optimistic they usually are.

Mor S on 2/01/01 at 17:06 (038006)

Hey.
Wendyn is right. I was not targeting at anyone personally. Each one has his own history. The thing is, that TTS objectively presents poor results in general and this was my impression after having read all of this board.

I merely expressed my own optimism in light of my own history and experience, despite of the fact that I suffer from TTS for more than 11 years now.

going back now and reading your history do bring up respect to what you have gone through. Good luck in the future with your situation.

Mor.

Kay S on 2/01/01 at 19:40 (038016)

Chad--probably the reason mor thinks we are not optimistic is because most of us who have already had the surgery did not achieve the results we had hoped for. I don't think that is not optimistic either, because before I had the surgery I absolutely couldn't wait, thinking it was going to be my first step towards a pain free existence. For me, it did almost nothing. I had some numbness along the outside of my foot (actually, I was diagnosed with tts in BOTH feet)which is now gone, but that's really all it accomplished for me. I was so desperate to believe that this would help that I had already planned on having the second one done a few months after the first one. Now, even though I still have tts in the other foot, I won't plan on the surgery because it did not help me very much.
I think that my situation was created from the way I walked to protect myself from the pain.........and I developed neuromas, tts, etc. AFTER that. Very few people have tts in both feet and if you do, one has to ask 'why?' So Mor, if you are reading this, I hope that you have done all of the biomechanical things such as orthotics, etc. to try to get at the source of your tts before you have the surgery. Probably you have done that, and if so I hope your surgery turns out great and you heal quickly and thoroughly and never have a minute's pain again.
I didn't think the surgery was that bad, but it was so depressing when I was healing well and realized that my heel pain was as bad as ever, maybe even worse. Then it seemed like I did it for nothing.
Hang in there Chad. We are all in the same boat here!
Kay

Chad H on 2/02/01 at 09:31 (038054)

Mor - Please keep us posted on your progress, and best of luck. We are all on the same side. I am going to give some advice, I hope you don't mind :-)

Stay off the foot as much as possible for the first couple of weeks. I don't know how long you will be in a cast, but take it easy. Swelling has been a major problem for me after surgery (I still have swelling). My first surgery was just before Thanksgiving, and I spent Thanksgiving night standing up playing darts and hanging out with the guys. This was not a good idea!

You sound like a very active person who is ready to get going again. I don't blame you, but do take it easy at first. I think this will pay-off down the road!

I will likely have surgery again sometime in the future. I will approach it with the same optimism you have!

Good Luck!

Mor S on 2/02/01 at 10:09 (038057)

Thanks for the advice. I'll surely keep off my foot.

Will keep you posted with progress.

Mor.

thea on 2/04/01 at 20:16 (038197)

Hey! I had to write and tell all of you that i just found this site and i thank all of you. It is such a relieve to find someone else with tts and to be able to ask questions. I was just diagnosed with tts however have had a lot of pain in the last several months. I am on my fourth doctor who has been great and has taken every direction to try to find out why i had so much pain. I have been in a cam walker with crutches for the last 4 weeks. drs wanted to immobilize it to see if that helps. (nope) now i am still in the cast and receiving 2 cortizone shots a week. supposively this will be for at least 3 weeks. however, im not to happy about the injections because of unknown side effects. I had a few injections in Dec that did not work. This week after the injections i have had no relieve from pain even staying off of my foot. being off my foot and not able to work,drive, or exercise for the last 4 weeks (6 months) is not making me very optimistic about this whole ordeal. I just want an end. I feel like i have tried everything from second opinions, cortizone, immoblization. I understand that the doctors don't want to jump into surgery to fast however im not willing to live on crutches for the whole year of 2001. Im also very stubborn and confused. Im trying hard to do what the doctors tell me. i just want an end. if anyone has any experiences reference the cortizone injections please throw them my way. Also am i just being impatient. Help!! Thank you for listening

wendyn on 2/05/01 at 07:45 (038217)

Thea, I understood that it was safe to only have up to 3 cortizone shots in the same location in a one year span. Even less can significantly weaken the tendon and put you at risk for potential rupture. A lot of us with TTS also have problems related to the Post Tib Tendon. How many shots have you had?

chris d on 2/05/01 at 07:54 (038218)

I agree...I was also told only 3 injections in the same location. I too tried everything...I basically refused the immobilization of my foot..i couldn't restrict myself for that long of a time...the injections did help a little but not enough. Prior to surgery, i had PT (ultrasound, deep massage and some sort of electo-shock thing) injections, celebrex medication, inserts...including fancy custom made ones...and the removeable cast...I have never heard of what wendyn wrote about...

Mor S on 2/05/01 at 15:22 (038237)

Thea,

One of the problems with TTS is to diagnose it correctly.
I understand that it was diagnosed as such by more than one doctor.
If so, giving the fact that all other games are just temporary relieves (if at all) I'll seriously consider surgery.

Good Luck.

thea on 2/05/01 at 22:40 (038273)

I had two injections at the end of dec. in the same spot. then last week i had another injection in that same spot and also on the side of the foot. Doc wants to continue this for 2 more weeks. I don't know if i like that. And yes the immobilization is hard. It really worries me with the effect it might have on my job. thank you for responding. I know the feeling of trying to explain to family and friends and feeling they might be tired of hearing about the pain. thank you again

thea on 2/05/01 at 22:43 (038274)

Mor-
I think you are right. In the last day i have had more pain then ever and it just seems to be getting worse, even under the doctors care. That really worries me. Thank you

carol on 2/07/01 at 08:35 (038338)

Dennis - please let me know how you are doing. My problem sounds just like yours - its dreadful and I feel my life is on hold with the pain. Hope it went well for you. Have you any tips. Regards Carol in Africa.

carol on 2/07/01 at 08:58 (038342)

Hi Mor - just realised you are having surgery today. Good luck - we are 8 hours ahead of you in time so can imagining you feeling a bit nervous right now. I go in on Tuesday. Maybe when I can get to my computer again we can compare notes! good luck. Carol

carol on 2/08/01 at 04:27 (038415)

Thea - your story sounds just like mine and I really sympathise. It is the most awful thing and nothing has helped me over a period of five years. i AM going for surgery on Tuesday and can't wait as am very optomistic. The Doc has given it an 80 % chance of success. I will keep you posted as to my progess to give you I hope some sort of insight and hope for yourself. I am having an epidural which I am relieved about as hate to be put under completely. Best of luck. Carol

carol on 2/08/01 at 04:30 (038416)

How are you doing after surgery? I am going in on Tuesday and woprogeruld love some feedback on your progress afterward and any tips you have on rehabilitation. Thanks Carol

carol on 2/09/01 at 01:23 (038501)

Thanks Mor for your prompt reply - good to hear it was a breeze and really hope you are going to be OK. You advice is great. I am actually going to the top surgeon for feet in the country and his is very experienced indeed. I have been to four other orthapaedic guys and they have got it all wrong. Have taken so many painkillers etc. You know the scenario. I won't be able to get to my computer for a while but will try and get my e-mail opened but will communicate with you when I am more mobile. Carol in Johannesburg.

DENNIS B. on 2/10/01 at 13:20 (038619)

SEE MY 02/10/01 POST ABOVE ENTITLED 'EPIDURAL AND SURGERY ARE OVER'. GOOD LUCK TO YOU. DENNIS

thea on 2/19/01 at 21:27 (039427)

i hope everything went ok with your surgery. i couldnt imagine lasting 5 years with this pain. i have just decided yes for surgery and now im just waiting for a date. it will be in the next 2 weeks sometime. im a little nervous. never had any kind of surgery or anything done. scared because it is our feet their messing with. any optimistic words and suggestions to help past this time before surgery would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, thea

DENNIS B. on 2/20/01 at 14:14 (039465)

I HAD TTS SURGERY ON FEB 07. IT WAS RIGHT AROUND 4 HOURS FROM THE TIME I WALDED INTO THE SURGERY CENTER UNTIL I WAS ABLE TO LEAVE (ON CRUTCHES). I HAD A GENERAL ANESTHETIC SO I WAS ASLEEP FOR THE WHOLE PROCEDURE WHICH LASTED ABOUT 45 MINUTES. SEEMS THE REAL KEY TO IT IS TO FIRST OF ALL FOLLOW THE DR.'S INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHEN YOU GET HOME, BE SURE TO HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU FOR THE FIRST DAY (LONGER, IF YOU NEED TO), AND TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS AS DIRECTED AND FAITHFULLY. I WENT IN THIS AM FOR A FOLLOW UP WITH MY SURGEON. THEY TOOK OUT THE 12 STAPLES THAT WERE PUT IN IN LIEU OF STITCHES AND HE TOLD ME TO START TO WEAN MYSELF OFF OF THE CRUTCHES. WHAT I'VE SEEN ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD IS CLEAR, EVERY PERSONS SITUATION SEEMS TO BE JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT. APPROACH THE SURGERY AND RECOVERY WITH A 'CAN DO' ATTITUDE. PERSONALLY, I OPTED FOR THE SURGERY BECAUSE I FELT I HAD EVERYTHING TO GAIN AND NOTHING TO LOSE, TIME WILL TELL. IF THE SURGERY ON MY RIGHT FOOT HELPS, I WILL THEN LOOK AT HAVING IT PERFORMED ON MY LEFT FOOT. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND PLEASE KEEP US POSTED.

chris d on 2/21/01 at 07:39 (039537)

Has your doctor recommended any PT following your surgery? I just started PT last week and have seen much improvement. Swelling has decreased and pain has lessened. I don't know if PT is usually required but suspect i should have had it sooner. Also, after my stiches were taken out, i was required to wear a boot cast for a week, I found it quite helpful. Good luck and speedy recovery to you!

DENNIS B. on 2/21/01 at 12:36 (039559)

NO, NOTHING ON PT YET. I HINTED ABOUT IT TO THE DR YESTERDAY BUT HE DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. I TOLD HIM I HAD BEEN TRYING TO AT LEAST KEEP ATROPY FROM DEVELOPING IN MY QUAD. WAS DOWN THE PT ROAD ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD ONE KNEE REBUILT, IRONICALLY THE KNEE ON THE SAME LEG ON WHICH I HAD THE TTS SURGERY. I GO BACK IN 4 WEEKS AND SUSPECT HE MAY RECOMMEND PT THEN, HOWEVER WILL DO WHAT I CAN HERE TO LOOSEN UP THE AFFECTED AREA.