Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

continuous heel pain

Posted by Jan C on 1/29/01 at 17:10 (037686)

I have has continual heel pain for 18 months - I have had physio, taping, ultra-sound, hydro-cortisone injections (2), several orthotics made for me. I have recently discovered your site - most impressive - and have just purchased a night splint. I have been diagnosed with plantar fasciaitis and have heel spurs.

Information in New Zealand is very minimal - basically I have been told to keep on with my podiatrist until he 'sorts out' my orthotics - no others options available.

Now that I have been introduced to so many options, my question is:

WHAT SHOULD MY DAILY REGIME CONSIST OF? eg -

should I use ice (or a mixture of hot and cold treatments)if so - how many times a day and for how long

should I use my night splint at all during the day - if so - for how long

should I do stretches - if so - how often (the last time I tried doing them I got terrible pains in my ankles

should I sit with my feet elevated when resting (I notice this causes my feet to pronate) or should I rest them on the floor - which causes pain

any recommended pain killers as nothing has helped so far

Any other suggestions would be appreciated as the pain is quite intense and my life style badly affected.

Jan

Re: continuous heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/29/01 at 23:08 (037711)

Hi,

It is tough to advice you but at this point you need additonal testing such as an mri and or bone scan . You can have a stress fracture. Other areas of the lower extremity such as the back hips and knees need complete evaluation.

Neurological testing of the lower extremity may be necessary. Try to read the online book on pf and just to determine if there is anything that can help you.

If no pain medications are helpful this needs a complete orthopedic. neurological and systemic evalation

Re: continuous heel pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/29/01 at 23:08 (037711)

Hi,

It is tough to advice you but at this point you need additonal testing such as an mri and or bone scan . You can have a stress fracture. Other areas of the lower extremity such as the back hips and knees need complete evaluation.

Neurological testing of the lower extremity may be necessary. Try to read the online book on pf and just to determine if there is anything that can help you.

If no pain medications are helpful this needs a complete orthopedic. neurological and systemic evalation