Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My New PF Plan

Posted by Tracy C. on 1/29/01 at 20:53 (037698)

First, thank you for all the responses about my Pod's lack of interest in learning about ESWT. In two years, I expect she will know all about it and I wonder if she will remember one of her patients mentioned it to her first. Sometimes it pays to listen to your patients.

Second, she recommended fascia release surgery. I declined. I have yet to lose 80lbs of extra weight. I have decided to lose the weight first. Then see if any of the conventional methods to get rid of PF will work when I am lighter. What have I got to lose?

The only exercise I can tolerate is swimming. Does anyone have a recommendation of how much swimming to do a week? I was thinking 5 times a week, together with better eating habits should help me lose the extra weight.

Also, my doctor said I should discontinue the use of Celebrex/Ibuprofen, etc. She said it can cause problems with my GI tract. It looks like I am off the anti inflammatories. What else can I try for the inflammation?

Re: My New PF Plan

Kim B. on 1/29/01 at 22:05 (037700)

Hi,

It sounds like a plan to me. Use the 'searh' feature on the word bromelain. It is a naturualy anti-inflammatory. Also there is the ibuprophen cream that some people have tried. Try a word search on anti-inflammatories to see what others in your situation have found to be helpful. Vioxx is the best I have found if you have insurance that helps with Rx, It is gentle on the stomach and works very well. But only a short term solution. Nice to have around when you have no choice but to be on your feet for some reason. As you can see, there are lots of avenues to prusue. Good luck. Enjoy the search feature, it's a dandy!

Kim B.

Barbara TX on 1/29/01 at 22:19 (037705)

Tracy - did you know that there is a weight-support group among the pf sufferers? We exchange private e-mails through E-groups. Anyone interested in this? Simply put a note on the message board for Nancy N., and she will direct you to our inner sanctum. B.

Julie on 1/30/01 at 09:44 (037728)

Tracy, swimming should really help you. A couple of years ago I took off a lot of excess weight with a combination of Weight Watchers and 4-5x a week swimming. It took time, but it worked.

WW recommend, and I agree, that half an hour of continuous fairly vigorous swimming (mixed strokes if you can) is about right. Like any aerobic exercise, it should leave you slightly out of breath.

Good luck!

Julie

Nancy N on 1/30/01 at 09:55 (037730)

Tracy--

Two things:

1. Celebrex is in the same NSAID class as Vioxx, so if the Celebrex is causing stomach problems, Vioxx probably will, too. They are both cox-2 inhibitors, which are only supposed to affect the inflammation, whereas other NSAIDs can also cause stomach problems. These two drugs are supposed to be better on your stomach. However, you need to be very careful about mixing Celebrex with other drugs--there are a lot of interactions, and I have been calling the pharmacy just to be sure before I take anything else with it. Vioxx may be the same way, I'm not sure. The only thing I can take for pain with the Celebrex is Tylenol. Ibuprofen is definitely not a good mix (other NSAIDs combined with Celebrex is a big no-no).

2. Barbara mentioned the weight support group. Scott was going to put a link on the site somewhere, but I'm not sure if/where it is. eGroups just changed to Yahoo Groups, but this URL should still get you there (at least, it worked last night):

http://www.egroups.com/group/weightsupport

Drop me a line if you sign up so I can be sure to confirm you--the last time someone signed up, I never got a message from eGroups.

Sign Me up on 1/30/01 at 10:22 (037734)

Thanks, I registered. Thanks for the information.

Re: Have to second WW!

Jill P on 1/30/01 at 15:57 (037763)

Tracy, I just have to second the idea of joining Weight Watchers. I joined in September and have lost 20 pounds! I would say that is one of the things which has helped my pain the most along with the orthotics and nightsplint. If you have any questions about WW, just ask! :) Jill P

Cynthia D on 1/30/01 at 16:17 (037764)

Nancy, did you ever ask your pharmicist or pod if you could take more Vioxx on really bad pain days? I have 25 mg. and I wonder if I can take a second one. Tylenol does nothing for me. Those of you who wonder why don't I call my doc, I'm mad at him over his ignorance of ESWT, and I like Nancy. Thanks.

Nancy n on 1/30/01 at 17:19 (037771)

Cynthia--

thanks, you're so sweet! But I'm not a doctor, and since I never asked, I'm afraid I can't tell you this time. You could call your pharmacist and see what they can tell you--there might be things you can combine with Vioxx that you can't combine with Celebrex, so that might be worth checking into. Let us know what you learn.

Re: To: Sign Me up--msg on Social board (eom)

Nancy N on 1/30/01 at 17:24 (037773)

eom

Re: I disagree With Nancy N. re: Celebrex being the same as Vioxx

Kim B. on 1/30/01 at 20:05 (037793)

I've used both of these medicines and there is a HUGE difference between how my sensitive stomach reacted to the two. For me, the Vioxx was far superior in pain relief and MUCH more easy on the stomach and colon.

Regards, Kim B.

wendyn on 1/30/01 at 21:29 (037801)

I think you are right Kim. Although both Vioxx and Celebrex are the newer generation cox 2 inhibitors - my mom is allowed to take Vioxx but NOT Celebrex. She has had a previous GI bleed from anti-inflammitories. Vioxx has passed some other type of testing that Celebrex has not. But - I don't understand the details of drug testing as a whole. It is important to note that they are not the same.

Nancy frasca on 1/30/01 at 23:13 (037806)

Please sign me up also. I went to Yahoo and it said I could not b a member at this time. I am 40 years old and have 80 lbs. to lose and have had pf since age 15. This sounds like a wonderful thing. Please help me. i trully appreciate it. nancy in newJersey

Julie on 1/31/01 at 07:17 (037825)

Thanks, Jill. I third it (even though I was the one who mentioned it!)

I have a lot of time for Weight Watchers. I was always a bit suspicious of their reputation for being punitive when someone put on a pound or two, but when I finally went to them three years ago I found that had changed. They are supportive and non-judgemental - at least my group leader was - and the plan is sensible and easy to follow. It's basically in line with the guidelines for sensible eating that are now generally accepted - lots of vegetables and fruit, judicious amounts of protein, low far. It helped me in four ways: (1) the support (2) knowing that I had to write down everything I ate was a good 'control' over what I ate (3) it made me much more aware of the fat content of foods, especially ready-foods. I've always scrutinized the labels ever since and (4) knowing I was going to attend the weekly weigh-in focussed the mind wonderfully! I lost 30 pounds in six months, and have kept most of it off - and I know what I have to do when it creeps back on.

Re: Have to 4th WW!

Jill P on 1/31/01 at 11:02 (037846)

I have to 4th it then even though I seconded it,lol! I have had great success with WW too. I joined September 18th and have lost 20 lbs so far with eating a balanced diet and still enjoying eating out and 'treats.' That is why it makes it such a good plan. You aren't limited in your choices so you don't have to crave something off limits and then end up pigging out on it when you cave.

Also I am not able to exercise because of my heels and a problem with my left side involving chronic pain of an overuse injury of the forearm and a pinched nerve. Walking was my main exercise and I enjoyed it daily with my kids until the heel pain got so bad. I am hoping to get back to some moderate walks just in the neighborhood again someday.

Nancy N on 1/31/01 at 13:36 (037859)

Nancy--

Please email me and let me know what problem you had signing up.

Nancy N on 1/31/01 at 13:38 (037861)

Kim/Wendy--

I don't think I ever said that Vioxx and Celebrex are the same. If I did, I didn't mean to. The do both WORK the same way, though (which is what I was trying to say), in that they are both cox-2 inhibitors, which other NSAIDS are not. I have taken both, and can agree from experience that the similarity in the way they work does not mean you'll get the same effect from them. I took Vioxx for 6 weeks last spring and the only thing it did for me was give me an absolutely horrible taste in my mouth. It did nothing for my pain. The Celebrex, on the other hand, has been wonderful. So I think it varies from person to person. If the Vioxx works for you, go for it. If not, you might want to try the Celebrex.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Kim B. on 1/29/01 at 22:05 (037700)

Hi,

It sounds like a plan to me. Use the 'searh' feature on the word bromelain. It is a naturualy anti-inflammatory. Also there is the ibuprophen cream that some people have tried. Try a word search on anti-inflammatories to see what others in your situation have found to be helpful. Vioxx is the best I have found if you have insurance that helps with Rx, It is gentle on the stomach and works very well. But only a short term solution. Nice to have around when you have no choice but to be on your feet for some reason. As you can see, there are lots of avenues to prusue. Good luck. Enjoy the search feature, it's a dandy!

Kim B.

Barbara TX on 1/29/01 at 22:19 (037705)

Tracy - did you know that there is a weight-support group among the pf sufferers? We exchange private e-mails through E-groups. Anyone interested in this? Simply put a note on the message board for Nancy N., and she will direct you to our inner sanctum. B.

Julie on 1/30/01 at 09:44 (037728)

Tracy, swimming should really help you. A couple of years ago I took off a lot of excess weight with a combination of Weight Watchers and 4-5x a week swimming. It took time, but it worked.

WW recommend, and I agree, that half an hour of continuous fairly vigorous swimming (mixed strokes if you can) is about right. Like any aerobic exercise, it should leave you slightly out of breath.

Good luck!

Julie

Nancy N on 1/30/01 at 09:55 (037730)

Tracy--

Two things:

1. Celebrex is in the same NSAID class as Vioxx, so if the Celebrex is causing stomach problems, Vioxx probably will, too. They are both cox-2 inhibitors, which are only supposed to affect the inflammation, whereas other NSAIDs can also cause stomach problems. These two drugs are supposed to be better on your stomach. However, you need to be very careful about mixing Celebrex with other drugs--there are a lot of interactions, and I have been calling the pharmacy just to be sure before I take anything else with it. Vioxx may be the same way, I'm not sure. The only thing I can take for pain with the Celebrex is Tylenol. Ibuprofen is definitely not a good mix (other NSAIDs combined with Celebrex is a big no-no).

2. Barbara mentioned the weight support group. Scott was going to put a link on the site somewhere, but I'm not sure if/where it is. eGroups just changed to Yahoo Groups, but this URL should still get you there (at least, it worked last night):

http://www.egroups.com/group/weightsupport

Drop me a line if you sign up so I can be sure to confirm you--the last time someone signed up, I never got a message from eGroups.

Sign Me up on 1/30/01 at 10:22 (037734)

Thanks, I registered. Thanks for the information.

Jill P on 1/30/01 at 15:57 (037763)

Tracy, I just have to second the idea of joining Weight Watchers. I joined in September and have lost 20 pounds! I would say that is one of the things which has helped my pain the most along with the orthotics and nightsplint. If you have any questions about WW, just ask! :) Jill P

Cynthia D on 1/30/01 at 16:17 (037764)

Nancy, did you ever ask your pharmicist or pod if you could take more Vioxx on really bad pain days? I have 25 mg. and I wonder if I can take a second one. Tylenol does nothing for me. Those of you who wonder why don't I call my doc, I'm mad at him over his ignorance of ESWT, and I like Nancy. Thanks.

Nancy n on 1/30/01 at 17:19 (037771)

Cynthia--

thanks, you're so sweet! But I'm not a doctor, and since I never asked, I'm afraid I can't tell you this time. You could call your pharmacist and see what they can tell you--there might be things you can combine with Vioxx that you can't combine with Celebrex, so that might be worth checking into. Let us know what you learn.

Nancy N on 1/30/01 at 17:24 (037773)

eom

Kim B. on 1/30/01 at 20:05 (037793)

I've used both of these medicines and there is a HUGE difference between how my sensitive stomach reacted to the two. For me, the Vioxx was far superior in pain relief and MUCH more easy on the stomach and colon.

Regards, Kim B.

wendyn on 1/30/01 at 21:29 (037801)

I think you are right Kim. Although both Vioxx and Celebrex are the newer generation cox 2 inhibitors - my mom is allowed to take Vioxx but NOT Celebrex. She has had a previous GI bleed from anti-inflammitories. Vioxx has passed some other type of testing that Celebrex has not. But - I don't understand the details of drug testing as a whole. It is important to note that they are not the same.

Nancy frasca on 1/30/01 at 23:13 (037806)

Please sign me up also. I went to Yahoo and it said I could not b a member at this time. I am 40 years old and have 80 lbs. to lose and have had pf since age 15. This sounds like a wonderful thing. Please help me. i trully appreciate it. nancy in newJersey

Julie on 1/31/01 at 07:17 (037825)

Thanks, Jill. I third it (even though I was the one who mentioned it!)

I have a lot of time for Weight Watchers. I was always a bit suspicious of their reputation for being punitive when someone put on a pound or two, but when I finally went to them three years ago I found that had changed. They are supportive and non-judgemental - at least my group leader was - and the plan is sensible and easy to follow. It's basically in line with the guidelines for sensible eating that are now generally accepted - lots of vegetables and fruit, judicious amounts of protein, low far. It helped me in four ways: (1) the support (2) knowing that I had to write down everything I ate was a good 'control' over what I ate (3) it made me much more aware of the fat content of foods, especially ready-foods. I've always scrutinized the labels ever since and (4) knowing I was going to attend the weekly weigh-in focussed the mind wonderfully! I lost 30 pounds in six months, and have kept most of it off - and I know what I have to do when it creeps back on.

Re: Have to 4th WW!

Jill P on 1/31/01 at 11:02 (037846)

I have to 4th it then even though I seconded it,lol! I have had great success with WW too. I joined September 18th and have lost 20 lbs so far with eating a balanced diet and still enjoying eating out and 'treats.' That is why it makes it such a good plan. You aren't limited in your choices so you don't have to crave something off limits and then end up pigging out on it when you cave.

Also I am not able to exercise because of my heels and a problem with my left side involving chronic pain of an overuse injury of the forearm and a pinched nerve. Walking was my main exercise and I enjoyed it daily with my kids until the heel pain got so bad. I am hoping to get back to some moderate walks just in the neighborhood again someday.

Nancy N on 1/31/01 at 13:36 (037859)

Nancy--

Please email me and let me know what problem you had signing up.

Nancy N on 1/31/01 at 13:38 (037861)

Kim/Wendy--

I don't think I ever said that Vioxx and Celebrex are the same. If I did, I didn't mean to. The do both WORK the same way, though (which is what I was trying to say), in that they are both cox-2 inhibitors, which other NSAIDS are not. I have taken both, and can agree from experience that the similarity in the way they work does not mean you'll get the same effect from them. I took Vioxx for 6 weeks last spring and the only thing it did for me was give me an absolutely horrible taste in my mouth. It did nothing for my pain. The Celebrex, on the other hand, has been wonderful. So I think it varies from person to person. If the Vioxx works for you, go for it. If not, you might want to try the Celebrex.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.