Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

a problem after the operation of heel pain,

Posted by John C. on 1/30/01 at 05:11 (037718)

Dear Sir:

I am a Orthopaedic surgeon from Taiwan. I really have some experience about the operation of heel pain with arthroscopic assisted planatar release. Usually it's effective but I have one case that felt no improvement after the operation. There is no neurological sign. I can not totally exclude out the possibility of plantar nerve compression. I wonder if there is any useful intervention before the re-operation for nerve decompression. How about your experience and could you please recommend some methods about this kind of condition.

Best wishes
John

Re: Doctor we have another doctor who wants our help and opinion please give it to this fine gentleman

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/30/01 at 09:28 (037723)

What is the time frame after the surgical release. Did the foot ever get better. Sometimes the patient could have equinus and pf which needs to be addressed with stretching and or physical therapy.

In some cases after a period time of say four to six months you may need to release the fascia if you feel that this is the cause.

Before this you may try a steriod injection. Boot cast. taping. You may need an mri to help determine the cause. There are some cases where there is no relief. My opinion without examinating the patients is that if there way no relief witht the operation and not increased pain from the operation
and the patient has what I call heel spur syndrome pain after sitting for any length of time then you will need to repeat the pf release.

Re: Doctor we have another doctor who wants our help and opinion please give it to this fine gentleman

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/30/01 at 09:28 (037723)

What is the time frame after the surgical release. Did the foot ever get better. Sometimes the patient could have equinus and pf which needs to be addressed with stretching and or physical therapy.

In some cases after a period time of say four to six months you may need to release the fascia if you feel that this is the cause.

Before this you may try a steriod injection. Boot cast. taping. You may need an mri to help determine the cause. There are some cases where there is no relief. My opinion without examinating the patients is that if there way no relief witht the operation and not increased pain from the operation
and the patient has what I call heel spur syndrome pain after sitting for any length of time then you will need to repeat the pf release.