Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Julie orthotics UK

Posted by Donna SL on 1/30/01 at 11:25 (037743)

Hi Julie,

I'll be moving to the UK in a few years, probably London. I'm sure I'm
always going to need some type of orthotic.

Are there pedorthist in the UK? I did a search on the web, and noticed there are a lots of orthotist, and podiatrist there. I live in a city in the US with a big podiatry college, and tons of podiatrist, but many of the ones I've come across so far are not really trained in, or interested in biomechanics, and orthotics skills. I'm probably going to see one of the two pedorthist here in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully will have better luck. Is the situation better in London?

Donna

Re: For Julie orthotics UK

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/30/01 at 17:09 (037770)

Where do you live?. Which Podiatry college are you talking about.?

When I went to Podiatry College that's all we ever talked about. It got to the point that every condition we make an orthosis.

Re: For Donna from Julie - orthotics UK

Julie on 1/31/01 at 02:17 (037814)

Hi Donna

I'll have to look into this for you. I had not heard of pedorthists until I came to this website, and my impression is that orthotics are usually cast by podiatrists, who send the casts to firms like Langer Biomechanics for the orthotics to be made. Knowing what I know now about pedorthy (I hope I've got the noun right!) that method seems second best, to say the least.

However, having said that, I've had two pairs of orthotics made by podiatrists - one about 7 years ago, and one just recently. The first pair was fine but I probably wore them for much too long. I was in two minds about getting them made, because my pod gets his made in the States so I'd have been out on a limb if they'd needed adjustment, but I decided to take the chance. In fact, they are excellent. They feel quite different from my old pair, which means my feet and my biomechanics have changed; I've tried Richard's contact-with-the-arch test, and they pass. They feel snug and supportive and they have helped.

All this is by the way, of course. I will see if I can find out anything about pedorthists for you. I'm sure, knowing what I do about your feet and your problems, that you'd want to go for a pedorthist who makes his own orthoses and does his own adjustments. A British Richard, in other words. (Maybe he's consider emigrating?)

I'll be in touch.

Julie

Re: Dr. Z. orthotics

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 02:50 (037818)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I've had terrible experiences with orthotics.

Almost all the DPM's here are ready to prescribe orthotics at the drop of a hat if you need them, or not. That's not the problem. Most of the ones I've come across (and there has been quite a few) have very little training in biomechanics, and orthotics, yet are prescribing them. What I mean is doing a proper cast (several never put my foot in neutral), performing a proper gait analysis (over half of them never watched me walk, choosing the right orthotic material to match the foot type, and writing the proper prescription for my feet.

I've learned a lot the last year or two (especially from this board) as what's required for a proper prescription, but I didn't know this at the time. I've had many orthotics made here, and most of them were failures, and now I know why. This has cost me a fortune, and the prior pair caused severe injury.

The pods were all trained at CCPM in San Francisco.

I'm trying a cped next.

Donna

Re: For Julie from Donna - British CPeds

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 02:58 (037819)

Thanks Julie,

You're a doll! I do need a British Richard.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/31/01 at 05:06 (037822)

This is very interesting . The professors at that school would be horrified.

The California College of Podiatric Medicine has the reputation among students and Dr. Z as being the College that gave our profession biomechanical orthosis. In fact Dr. Root was the head of the department of biomechanic at this college. He wrote the book. Anyway was just curious.

All of the graduates that I know from this college are really experts in the biomechancis of the foot and lower extremity. The plastic orthosis is king in your city and CCPM

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/01 at 07:22 (037826)

Hi guys,
My father in law, Mike, is from Bath England. Does that count??
Richard

Julie on 1/31/01 at 08:32 (037830)

Hi Richard CPed

Sure! Send him over here immediately.

J

JudyS on 1/31/01 at 11:25 (037849)

Donna, my experience re: Pods and orthotics has been identical to yours. At this time I use no orthotics at all and, like you, I'm going to just find, on my own, a local Pedorthist and consult with him. I'm not convinced that orthotics are always the answer but accept the possibility that, given properly fitted and styled, they certainly could be.

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 11:32 (037850)

Dr. Z,

I only told you half of it. It gets even worse, but I would be reluctant to post it on the interet, plus it would be a very long post. My feet really are not that bad. I shouldn't have gone thought what I did.

You're sure right about plastic being king here. And the hardest plastic I might add. I better see one of the two rare Cped's here even if they aren't close by.

I think most of the experts you know must of moved out of California. I could I tell you such stories about the ones I encountered that claimed to be biomechanical experts.

Donna

Re: Richard Julie - Seeking British CPeds

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 11:48 (037852)

Yeah Richard,

Send him right over. Any more like you there?

Bath is a beautiful town. Have you ever been there? Did you see the Roman baths? York is great too. They're both a little far from London though.

Donna

Re: For Donna... orthotics UK

Julie on 2/08/01 at 07:12 (038421)

Hi Donna - just reporting in. No progress so far, but I'll keep trying.

Re: For Julie from Donna... orthotics UK

Donna SL on 2/09/01 at 03:31 (038505)

Thanks Julie. I appreciate what you are doing so much.

I met with an orthotist/cped here who seems wonderful, and has an extensive knowledge of orthotic materials, biomechanics, etc, and is going to make an orthotic for me combining around 5 or 6 different materials that he said will produce a comfortable, soft, yet supportive orthotic. This seems much more of a labor intensive type of orthotic, then what I've had in the past.

He owns a private lab, and makes all his own orthotics. He also makes the orthotics for the orthotist department associated with a large university/hospital here. His cost were extremely reasonable, because I'm dealing with him direct. This large university decided to use him over one of many giant labs we have here, because they were not happy with their quality. This is the second orthotist I have met, and they seem to be very creative, and seem to put a lot of work into designing orthotics, and seem very skilled in material synergy for the production of comfortable orthoses, even if they don't make them themselves. Their philosophy is very similar to cpeds.

I'm wondering even if there are no cpeds in the UK, if the orthotist there would be a good bet for foot orthoses, and use small private labs, or even make them themselves.

When I have some time I may call, or email one of the Universities in the UK that train orthotist. The only one I found so far on the web was the University of Salford in Manchester, and they seem to have a big orthotist/prosthtics program. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting, but it may be a while.

There must be a British Richard somewhere.

Again I appreciate any info you come up with. I'll keep doing virtual searches too.

Donna

Julie on 2/09/01 at 05:00 (038506)

Hi Donna

I've been following your progress re orthoses with interest and I'm so glad you've found someone so promising. I know there are problems with high arched supinating feet that we execessive pronators don't have, but I hope you'll get sorted out with orthoses that help you. I really think mine have been helping me - though of course it's hard to tell exactly what helps, when one is meeting the challenge on so many fronts.

Yes - there must be a British Richard. Let's keep looking.

Julie

Re: For Julie orthotics UK

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/30/01 at 17:09 (037770)

Where do you live?. Which Podiatry college are you talking about.?

When I went to Podiatry College that's all we ever talked about. It got to the point that every condition we make an orthosis.

Re: For Donna from Julie - orthotics UK

Julie on 1/31/01 at 02:17 (037814)

Hi Donna

I'll have to look into this for you. I had not heard of pedorthists until I came to this website, and my impression is that orthotics are usually cast by podiatrists, who send the casts to firms like Langer Biomechanics for the orthotics to be made. Knowing what I know now about pedorthy (I hope I've got the noun right!) that method seems second best, to say the least.

However, having said that, I've had two pairs of orthotics made by podiatrists - one about 7 years ago, and one just recently. The first pair was fine but I probably wore them for much too long. I was in two minds about getting them made, because my pod gets his made in the States so I'd have been out on a limb if they'd needed adjustment, but I decided to take the chance. In fact, they are excellent. They feel quite different from my old pair, which means my feet and my biomechanics have changed; I've tried Richard's contact-with-the-arch test, and they pass. They feel snug and supportive and they have helped.

All this is by the way, of course. I will see if I can find out anything about pedorthists for you. I'm sure, knowing what I do about your feet and your problems, that you'd want to go for a pedorthist who makes his own orthoses and does his own adjustments. A British Richard, in other words. (Maybe he's consider emigrating?)

I'll be in touch.

Julie

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 02:50 (037818)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I've had terrible experiences with orthotics.

Almost all the DPM's here are ready to prescribe orthotics at the drop of a hat if you need them, or not. That's not the problem. Most of the ones I've come across (and there has been quite a few) have very little training in biomechanics, and orthotics, yet are prescribing them. What I mean is doing a proper cast (several never put my foot in neutral), performing a proper gait analysis (over half of them never watched me walk, choosing the right orthotic material to match the foot type, and writing the proper prescription for my feet.

I've learned a lot the last year or two (especially from this board) as what's required for a proper prescription, but I didn't know this at the time. I've had many orthotics made here, and most of them were failures, and now I know why. This has cost me a fortune, and the prior pair caused severe injury.

The pods were all trained at CCPM in San Francisco.

I'm trying a cped next.

Donna

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 02:58 (037819)

Thanks Julie,

You're a doll! I do need a British Richard.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/31/01 at 05:06 (037822)

This is very interesting . The professors at that school would be horrified.

The California College of Podiatric Medicine has the reputation among students and Dr. Z as being the College that gave our profession biomechanical orthosis. In fact Dr. Root was the head of the department of biomechanic at this college. He wrote the book. Anyway was just curious.

All of the graduates that I know from this college are really experts in the biomechancis of the foot and lower extremity. The plastic orthosis is king in your city and CCPM

Richard, C.Ped on 1/31/01 at 07:22 (037826)

Hi guys,
My father in law, Mike, is from Bath England. Does that count??
Richard

Julie on 1/31/01 at 08:32 (037830)

Hi Richard CPed

Sure! Send him over here immediately.

J

JudyS on 1/31/01 at 11:25 (037849)

Donna, my experience re: Pods and orthotics has been identical to yours. At this time I use no orthotics at all and, like you, I'm going to just find, on my own, a local Pedorthist and consult with him. I'm not convinced that orthotics are always the answer but accept the possibility that, given properly fitted and styled, they certainly could be.

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 11:32 (037850)

Dr. Z,

I only told you half of it. It gets even worse, but I would be reluctant to post it on the interet, plus it would be a very long post. My feet really are not that bad. I shouldn't have gone thought what I did.

You're sure right about plastic being king here. And the hardest plastic I might add. I better see one of the two rare Cped's here even if they aren't close by.

I think most of the experts you know must of moved out of California. I could I tell you such stories about the ones I encountered that claimed to be biomechanical experts.

Donna

Re: Richard Julie - Seeking British CPeds

Donna SL on 1/31/01 at 11:48 (037852)

Yeah Richard,

Send him right over. Any more like you there?

Bath is a beautiful town. Have you ever been there? Did you see the Roman baths? York is great too. They're both a little far from London though.

Donna

Re: For Donna... orthotics UK

Julie on 2/08/01 at 07:12 (038421)

Hi Donna - just reporting in. No progress so far, but I'll keep trying.

Donna SL on 2/09/01 at 03:31 (038505)

Thanks Julie. I appreciate what you are doing so much.

I met with an orthotist/cped here who seems wonderful, and has an extensive knowledge of orthotic materials, biomechanics, etc, and is going to make an orthotic for me combining around 5 or 6 different materials that he said will produce a comfortable, soft, yet supportive orthotic. This seems much more of a labor intensive type of orthotic, then what I've had in the past.

He owns a private lab, and makes all his own orthotics. He also makes the orthotics for the orthotist department associated with a large university/hospital here. His cost were extremely reasonable, because I'm dealing with him direct. This large university decided to use him over one of many giant labs we have here, because they were not happy with their quality. This is the second orthotist I have met, and they seem to be very creative, and seem to put a lot of work into designing orthotics, and seem very skilled in material synergy for the production of comfortable orthoses, even if they don't make them themselves. Their philosophy is very similar to cpeds.

I'm wondering even if there are no cpeds in the UK, if the orthotist there would be a good bet for foot orthoses, and use small private labs, or even make them themselves.

When I have some time I may call, or email one of the Universities in the UK that train orthotist. The only one I found so far on the web was the University of Salford in Manchester, and they seem to have a big orthotist/prosthtics program. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting, but it may be a while.

There must be a British Richard somewhere.

Again I appreciate any info you come up with. I'll keep doing virtual searches too.

Donna

Julie on 2/09/01 at 05:00 (038506)

Hi Donna

I've been following your progress re orthoses with interest and I'm so glad you've found someone so promising. I know there are problems with high arched supinating feet that we execessive pronators don't have, but I hope you'll get sorted out with orthoses that help you. I really think mine have been helping me - though of course it's hard to tell exactly what helps, when one is meeting the challenge on so many fronts.

Yes - there must be a British Richard. Let's keep looking.

Julie