Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

MRI's and EMG's

Posted by Chad H on 1/30/01 at 11:37 (037745)

What has been your experience with MRI's and EMG's? The very first doctor I say performed an MRI, but it really didn't show anything (I don't think they were looking for TTS at the time).

The second doctor I saw had me do an EMG. It did test positive for TTS. The second doctor also had me do an EMG, but the EMG doctor said that an EMG after surgery is not accurate because the nerve and the area has been so manipulated. Both EMG's seem to have been very subjective. According to how they wiggle the needles... I had the needle test done and the shock test done. I am not sure what the difference is.

I have seen some of you discuss MRI's actually showing scar tissue around the nerve. If this is the case, then I want to have this done again. I am not sure it is needed, since I have been opened up twice and both doctors couldn't believe the amount of scar tissue. However, it would still be interesting to see what an MRI shows.

Re: MRI's and EMG's

wendyn on 2/01/01 at 22:12 (038028)

The EMG's sound really subjective. I had one that showed problems with 2 nerves in each foot. The second one (about 10 months later) showed no problems at all. I had an MRI of my ankle and all was okay. I would think that an MRI at this point in your treatment may be a very good idea. This would be the closest they could get to having a look at what's going on in there, without actually going in there physically to see.

Many doctors say that with TTS - a positive test is a positive, but a negative by no means does not mean you don't have TTS.

Re: MRI's and EMG's

wendyn on 2/01/01 at 22:12 (038028)

The EMG's sound really subjective. I had one that showed problems with 2 nerves in each foot. The second one (about 10 months later) showed no problems at all. I had an MRI of my ankle and all was okay. I would think that an MRI at this point in your treatment may be a very good idea. This would be the closest they could get to having a look at what's going on in there, without actually going in there physically to see.

Many doctors say that with TTS - a positive test is a positive, but a negative by no means does not mean you don't have TTS.