Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help me plan this

Posted by Jill P on 1/30/01 at 21:27 (037800)

Hi there everyone! I am still really excited about winning the lotto and am trying to figure out details of getting the treatment. I am hoping some of you who have done this can help me. Lori E, Mary J, and Barbara TX, I know you may be helpful from reading other threads!

I will be traveling by plane and am trying to figure out how I can time this trip with the weekend so my husband can take less time off during his busy season to care for our kids while I am gone. How did you arrange your trips out? If I scheduled the appt for a Friday, when would I be ready to fly home? I know someone mentioned a post treatment check, how long after treatment do I need to wait for that?

How long did it take you to start feeling better? We have our Disney trip at the end of April and I would love to feel better for that, but absolutely don't want to risk being worse off. I think I wouldn't be able to have longer than 2 months between the treatment and the trip? Is that long enough or would I be better off to get the treatment right after our Disney trip?

I am hoping to stay with my cousin while I am out there. After the treatment will we be able to go out for dinner or will I need to be home with my foot up or what?

Any other tips or things I haven't thought of??? Please share any experience that might help. Thanks in advance as I am excited and nervous all at once just like Cynthia has said about her up coming treatment. Now I can sure relate! Jill P

Re: Help me plan this

Lori E. on 1/30/01 at 22:49 (037804)

Jill,
I am sooo happy for you. You sound just as excited and as anxious as I was when I found out when I won. As far as timing things... we flew out on Thurs. night,(Thor, my hubby didn't want to miss too much work.) I had my treatment on Fri. and a follow up treatment and visit with Dr. Z on Sat. You could fly home on Sat. morning/afternoon if you need to. Talk with Dr. Z to make sure, but it seems as if it would be prudent to make sure you have two days there, just in case.
Tell the airline you have a disability. If I were you I would have your cousin meet you at the airport with one of those autocarts or a wheelchair. Tell the airline you want a aisle seat to accomodate your foot so you don't have to step over others to get to the loo,(ouch!)Plus that way you can board early and not have to stand in the aisle of the plane. Also, if you can, try to pack so you don't have to wait to retrieve your luggage, pack one bag and a small bag to put under your seat.
Thor and I went out to Chi Chi's right after my visit on Fri.(I had myself a margarita or two,) and then we went to South St. in Philly on Sat. I walked about four of those very short blocks. South St. is like Uptown Minneapolis, only the blocks are smaller and the shops are cooler. Don't miss it, if you get the chance. There is a parking garage really close to the center of it. It is kind of expensive, but it was really fun. Go ahead and e-mail me if you have more questions. The Mpls./St. Paul airport can really be a bear, have someone go with you, if you can.

Mary J. on 1/31/01 at 05:59 (037823)

Jill, We did the Fri.and Sat. appointments, also. You may find that you need to stay a Sat. night to get a good price on your airline ticket. We stayed at the Days Inn ($55) in Brooklawn the first night. It is about halfway between the Philadelphia International Airport and Woodbury. Dr. Zuckerman's office is about 30 min. from the airport. We found out about a special at the Marriott Courtyard at the airport ($59). You may want to try for that. Your foot will be numb for a few hours after the treatment. I rode the shuttle to the correct gate, and didn't have to ride a cart or take a wheelchair. But the airport has those available if you feel you need them. Good luck! You will love Dr. Zuckerman and his staff. Maybe they will give you a fancy chocolate, too. Ha!

Jen R on 1/31/01 at 09:57 (037837)

Jill,
Hi. Congrats on winning the lotto. I am the other winner. Just wanted to let you know that when I had my second treatment I flew out, had the treatment, and flew back all on the same day. Of course, I have a much shorter flight. Dr Z will probably do the procedure without the anesthetic and you won't walk out any worse than you walked in.
Good Luck.
Jen Ross

Lori E. on 1/30/01 at 22:49 (037804)

Jill,
I am sooo happy for you. You sound just as excited and as anxious as I was when I found out when I won. As far as timing things... we flew out on Thurs. night,(Thor, my hubby didn't want to miss too much work.) I had my treatment on Fri. and a follow up treatment and visit with Dr. Z on Sat. You could fly home on Sat. morning/afternoon if you need to. Talk with Dr. Z to make sure, but it seems as if it would be prudent to make sure you have two days there, just in case.
Tell the airline you have a disability. If I were you I would have your cousin meet you at the airport with one of those autocarts or a wheelchair. Tell the airline you want a aisle seat to accomodate your foot so you don't have to step over others to get to the loo,(ouch!)Plus that way you can board early and not have to stand in the aisle of the plane. Also, if you can, try to pack so you don't have to wait to retrieve your luggage, pack one bag and a small bag to put under your seat.
Thor and I went out to Chi Chi's right after my visit on Fri.(I had myself a margarita or two,) and then we went to South St. in Philly on Sat. I walked about four of those very short blocks. South St. is like Uptown Minneapolis, only the blocks are smaller and the shops are cooler. Don't miss it, if you get the chance. There is a parking garage really close to the center of it. It is kind of expensive, but it was really fun. Go ahead and e-mail me if you have more questions. The Mpls./St. Paul airport can really be a bear, have someone go with you, if you can.

Mary J. on 1/31/01 at 05:59 (037823)

Jill, We did the Fri.and Sat. appointments, also. You may find that you need to stay a Sat. night to get a good price on your airline ticket. We stayed at the Days Inn ($55) in Brooklawn the first night. It is about halfway between the Philadelphia International Airport and Woodbury. Dr. Zuckerman's office is about 30 min. from the airport. We found out about a special at the Marriott Courtyard at the airport ($59). You may want to try for that. Your foot will be numb for a few hours after the treatment. I rode the shuttle to the correct gate, and didn't have to ride a cart or take a wheelchair. But the airport has those available if you feel you need them. Good luck! You will love Dr. Zuckerman and his staff. Maybe they will give you a fancy chocolate, too. Ha!

Jen R on 1/31/01 at 09:57 (037837)

Jill,
Hi. Congrats on winning the lotto. I am the other winner. Just wanted to let you know that when I had my second treatment I flew out, had the treatment, and flew back all on the same day. Of course, I have a much shorter flight. Dr Z will probably do the procedure without the anesthetic and you won't walk out any worse than you walked in.
Good Luck.
Jen Ross