Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weight loss and pf

Posted by Nancy F on 1/30/01 at 23:16 (037807)

Does anyone know if weight loss really helps this condition?

Re: Weight loss and pf

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/31/01 at 05:00 (037821)

It will help and in additon help prevent the return of the problem. It is one of the factors that contribute to plantar fasciitis. So just losing weight and nothing else isn't the only approach to take. You need to address the initial cause and if weight is part of this then address this. The problem usually is that you are in pain so you can't run or walk. So swimming, biking is about the only excercise that you can safely do without cauisng additonal trauma to the already trauamized pf.

I believe that Scott's pf data survey addresses weight and you can take a good look at what the results were in that section.

Julie on 1/31/01 at 07:09 (037824)

Also, take a look at Scott's recent posting on the heelspurs.com message board, which gives a full explanation of exactly why too much weight, especially in women, who accumulate it around the hips and thighs, can contribute to PF.

Jill P on 1/31/01 at 21:57 (037923)

Nancy, read below about Julie's and my success with losing weight with Weight Watchers. I have to say that weight loss (20lbs so far) and wearing my orthotics in my Reebok Walk DMX shoes and the night splint for sleeping have been my biggest helps so far in dealing with PF. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about WW. I was really nervous to join and after I finally went, couldn't figure out why. It's been great for me! Jill P

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/31/01 at 05:00 (037821)

It will help and in additon help prevent the return of the problem. It is one of the factors that contribute to plantar fasciitis. So just losing weight and nothing else isn't the only approach to take. You need to address the initial cause and if weight is part of this then address this. The problem usually is that you are in pain so you can't run or walk. So swimming, biking is about the only excercise that you can safely do without cauisng additonal trauma to the already trauamized pf.

I believe that Scott's pf data survey addresses weight and you can take a good look at what the results were in that section.

Julie on 1/31/01 at 07:09 (037824)

Also, take a look at Scott's recent posting on the heelspurs.com message board, which gives a full explanation of exactly why too much weight, especially in women, who accumulate it around the hips and thighs, can contribute to PF.

Jill P on 1/31/01 at 21:57 (037923)

Nancy, read below about Julie's and my success with losing weight with Weight Watchers. I have to say that weight loss (20lbs so far) and wearing my orthotics in my Reebok Walk DMX shoes and the night splint for sleeping have been my biggest helps so far in dealing with PF. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about WW. I was really nervous to join and after I finally went, couldn't figure out why. It's been great for me! Jill P