Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

THIS IS MAKING ME CRAZY!

Posted by TiffanyA on 1/31/01 at 10:48 (037841)

I have had plantar fascitis for over 4 months now and it's making me mental. I have tried otc foot inserts, heel cups, stretching, massage, heating and ice. I'm wondering what the next step for me is. I went to a foot doctor and all he suggested was orthotics. This condition started after I began running and purchased new shoes. Since then I have stopped running, and walking to work, I have purchased better shoes and still the condition persists! ARHG! Are orthotics the only solution?? I don't understand why orthotics would be necessary when the condition was obviously brought on by the running. I've never had any problems before and now it's constant. It's somewhat better, but by no means is it gone. How long should I wait before going to get orthotics? Is there any chance that this will just go away after time, if continued stretching etc is applied? Any suggestions?

Re: THIS IS MAKING ME CRAZY!

Dr. Biehler on 1/31/01 at 10:55 (037844)

You have to make sure it is plantar fasciitis and not a calcanial bursa or bone bruse. If it is PF you might want to try tapping your foot ( you can find directions for this on this web site ). This should take the pressure off the fascia a give it time to heal. Please read Scott's info on heel pain before you go back to your doctor. Dr. B.

Barbara TX on 1/31/01 at 15:04 (037873)

Hi Tiffany... I too am 'mental' over my pf! That's a good word for it! Are you able to get any long term rest, completely off your feet? Rest is the thing that helps the most and is the LEAST likely for a busy person to be able to do. You might take a look at your level of activity. You need to give this time to heal to avoid a long term problem. Good luck!!! B.

Julie on 1/31/01 at 15:52 (037884)

Hi Tiffany

If you have any biomechanical problems, such as excessive pronation, running with those problems could well have caused your pf - in other words, it might not have been the running by itself, but the excessive pronation while running. If there is something like that going on, then orthotics, which are meant to correct any biomechanical problems, might well help.

Don't rule them out, get properly evaluated for them, and meanwhile continue to stay off your feet as much as possible, and, if it is pf, you will probably find DCr Z's suggestion that you tape your foot as helpful as I have. Ice reduces inflammation. If you are stretching, make sure that the stretching isn't irritating the fascia. Listen to what your body tells you, and if anything hurts, stop.

Inform yourself with a good reading of the PF Book.

Re: Welcome to the club!

Kim B. on 1/31/01 at 22:32 (037927)

H Tiffany,

Most of us know how you feel. The constant agony is awful, I know. Every other thought is like this one: 'What can I do to make my feet get better?'. Sound familiar? It like a constant obsession to figure out, what the heck happened and what the heck will reverse it!

My advice to you is read the PF book at the beginning of this site. Start educating yourself a little about a new treatment that is available when other things fail and if, after 6 months, your situation is still unresolved. The earlier you catch this affliction, the better your chances of getting rid of it, so your odds look good to me if I read your post correctly.

Take advantage of Scott's 'powerful' word search capability here at the site. While you read the book, make note of the words you are unfamiliar with and use the search function to learn more about them. Also, the message board archives are a great place to get input from other sufferers. You'll read what other PF people have found that has helped them along the way. A lot of little things can make a big difference.

First look up 'Depression' so that you can see that you are perfectly normal re: how much this may be affecting your disposition. Knowledge is power, and as you read and look up other keywords, you will be able to feel more empowered over your situation. Other words to look up include, icing, shower shoes, cure, yoga, stretching, night splints, shoes, inserts, etc.. you get the idea. The more you read her, the more you learn. Watch out for snake oil salesmen, we've had a few of those drop by here to peddle their goods too. Be wise.

I know it's hard. Good luck, we're here if you have questions or comments. Welcome aboard!

Regards, Kim B.

Dr. Biehler on 1/31/01 at 10:55 (037844)

You have to make sure it is plantar fasciitis and not a calcanial bursa or bone bruse. If it is PF you might want to try tapping your foot ( you can find directions for this on this web site ). This should take the pressure off the fascia a give it time to heal. Please read Scott's info on heel pain before you go back to your doctor. Dr. B.

Barbara TX on 1/31/01 at 15:04 (037873)

Hi Tiffany... I too am 'mental' over my pf! That's a good word for it! Are you able to get any long term rest, completely off your feet? Rest is the thing that helps the most and is the LEAST likely for a busy person to be able to do. You might take a look at your level of activity. You need to give this time to heal to avoid a long term problem. Good luck!!! B.

Julie on 1/31/01 at 15:52 (037884)

Hi Tiffany

If you have any biomechanical problems, such as excessive pronation, running with those problems could well have caused your pf - in other words, it might not have been the running by itself, but the excessive pronation while running. If there is something like that going on, then orthotics, which are meant to correct any biomechanical problems, might well help.

Don't rule them out, get properly evaluated for them, and meanwhile continue to stay off your feet as much as possible, and, if it is pf, you will probably find DCr Z's suggestion that you tape your foot as helpful as I have. Ice reduces inflammation. If you are stretching, make sure that the stretching isn't irritating the fascia. Listen to what your body tells you, and if anything hurts, stop.

Inform yourself with a good reading of the PF Book.

Re: Welcome to the club!

Kim B. on 1/31/01 at 22:32 (037927)

H Tiffany,

Most of us know how you feel. The constant agony is awful, I know. Every other thought is like this one: 'What can I do to make my feet get better?'. Sound familiar? It like a constant obsession to figure out, what the heck happened and what the heck will reverse it!

My advice to you is read the PF book at the beginning of this site. Start educating yourself a little about a new treatment that is available when other things fail and if, after 6 months, your situation is still unresolved. The earlier you catch this affliction, the better your chances of getting rid of it, so your odds look good to me if I read your post correctly.

Take advantage of Scott's 'powerful' word search capability here at the site. While you read the book, make note of the words you are unfamiliar with and use the search function to learn more about them. Also, the message board archives are a great place to get input from other sufferers. You'll read what other PF people have found that has helped them along the way. A lot of little things can make a big difference.

First look up 'Depression' so that you can see that you are perfectly normal re: how much this may be affecting your disposition. Knowledge is power, and as you read and look up other keywords, you will be able to feel more empowered over your situation. Other words to look up include, icing, shower shoes, cure, yoga, stretching, night splints, shoes, inserts, etc.. you get the idea. The more you read her, the more you learn. Watch out for snake oil salesmen, we've had a few of those drop by here to peddle their goods too. Be wise.

I know it's hard. Good luck, we're here if you have questions or comments. Welcome aboard!

Regards, Kim B.