Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I think I am getting better??!!

Posted by rekha.s on 1/31/01 at 14:54 (037871)

Hi everyone....I had orbasone on jan 18 and 20 on both feet, and have been resting vigorously ever since I have been back from LA. these last 3 days I noticed hardly any morning pain, slight pain when walking (pain in back of my heel and arch and some heel pain). I actually couldnt believe it, so I refrained from posting until now (for fear of zinxing myself)....

I have this mild tingling pain when resting...I think this is the healing taking place.... My left foot (which is the worst) is the one that is having symptoms, .but the right one has hardly any pain..

I am hoping this is not a fluke and I am on my way to recovery...I plan to rest another 3-4 weeks.

I HOPE THIS IS THE REAL THING.....!!!

Re: I think I am getting better??!!

Steve P on 1/31/01 at 15:25 (037878)

Rekha --- Good news! Was that your 1st or 2nd Orbasone treatment?

Cynthia D on 1/31/01 at 16:04 (037888)

Great news, I'm glad you're getting results - and good hope for me. I go to Dr. Z. Monday, and am beginning to 'freak' a little. How much rest is vigorous rest? Total rest? Occasionally sitting? No stairs? What amount have you been out because some people go to parties the night of their treatments. Could you walk ok after - to get to your hotel, airline gate, etc.? Are you taking any anti-inflammatories? I was reading old stuff here this am that said not to. I also need both feet, the left being the worse and longest suffering one.

And most importantly, do you think I'll be able to play in a tennis match on March 8 (4 weeks post Orbasone)? It is the very last match of the season, very important to me, and that's my goal! Any advice is appreciated, and any experiences you wish to share would be extremely welcomed. thanks

rekha.s on 1/31/01 at 16:37 (037890)

Cynthia, I am glad you are going for the eswt with Dr Z, who is a great Dr! I have been resting as much as possible. After the treatment I came back via airline (but didnt get wheelchair). I walked little bit, not much.

Ever since I have been back, I have been lying on the couch and resting as much as I can...I am lucky that I am not currently working...and my husband is great...I havent been cleaning cooking...nothing...I just go to the bathroom and take shower...and walk to get something to eat......

I was to start college last week, but decided to drop all three classes, which was a real bummer, but I figure I can go next semester when my feet are better. No, I am not taking anti-inflammatories, just icing and hot soaks as per Dr Z's recommendation. As far as your tennis match is concerned, if it were me, I woudn't do it...because I wouldn't want to take that chance...after all this heartache I have been thru, but that is your call.

Cynthia D on 1/31/01 at 18:43 (037899)

You are lucky your hubby is so good. Mine is, too. He even 'makes' me sit down or the couch (or computer desk) every night after dinner while he does the dishes. We have 3 little kiddos, though, so I sit when I can when we have a sitter or he's home. (Funny play on words - the sitter comes so I can sit!)

The youngest is 17 months. Hubby wants me to take it easy before the ESWT to be in top shape for a speedy recovery. That's why I'm staying in Phil. for 3 nights on my own, he is travelling and working anyway so we have a full time sitter day and night for those days. It will be nice not doing anything for anyone but myself.

I'm planning to kick back, read, maybe get to know my new Palm Pilot, (will it get heelspurs.com?), have massages and whirlpools while I am in Philly - what a treat, but I'm still extremely nervous. Thanks for your insight, and keep making the good progress.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/31/01 at 20:01 (037913)

Don't be nervious I will be there to get you thru this. !!!. Easy for me to say I worry about getting my teeth cleaned.

Re: How much rest is vigorous rest?

Julie on 2/01/01 at 01:56 (037940)

Hi Cynthia

I love this description! To me it means that we need to be observant of how much rest our feet need, and make the day-to-day decisions on the basis of our condition. The question, though, is really a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string one. The answer is different for everyone. For some people with acute and constant pain, it may mean 'feet up all the time except for going to the loo' (British terminology'). For someone with a mild case it could mean 'don't walk more than a mile or two every day'. I think it depends on the pain level. My guide has been the knowledge that whatever causes pain is causing re-injury, and that if I continue doing whatever it is, the tearing and inflammation get worse.

Cynthia, I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think a tennis match four weeks after orbasone would qualify as 'rest' for anyone. Please get Dr Z's opinion, but it worries me for you. Think about what is more important - the match, or your health and a future without pain. Do please give yourself time to heal after the treatment and give the treatment the best chance of working for that future.

Good luck with your treatment!

Julie

Re: How much rest is vigorous rest? A follow up

Cynthia D on 2/01/01 at 06:21 (037944)

Dr. Z. you must really love what you do to go home at 8:00 and communicate with us sufferers after a long day at work. But I need to tell you, your reassurances really help even though you'll be the one holding the thing that shoots voltages into my foot - it is us against the machine? I alwalys thought it was me against whoever was inflicting the pain. Haha.

Julie, your advice is really practical and can you ever imagine the day you would be told to 'only walk a mile or two!' What a dream that would be. I know you're right about the tennis but I really do have some days that are not as bad as others once my feet get warmed up, and anticipate even more good days post orbasone. Thanks.

Rekah, enjoy being a queen, I'll be there soon, too.

Re: tennis?

Jasmine on 2/12/01 at 15:20 (038740)

I am having my first Orbasone treatment this week to treat PF in my right foot. I am hoping to be able to get back into tennis after the recovery time...12 weeks max. Is this realistic?????? Any info or experiences will be greatly appreciated! -Jasmine

Barbara TX on 2/12/01 at 16:34 (038751)

Jasmine - good luck with the ESWT. You will really have to determine yourself just what your pain level alows you to do, and the 12 week recovery period is just a general rule... some doctors even stretch this to 16 weeks. I myself got the most relief AFTER the 12 week period. Some others get relief within a week. Personally, I would leave off the tennis until I could do all other activities with no pain, for fear that the PF would reoccur. And you DON'T want that to happen! B.

Steve P on 1/31/01 at 15:25 (037878)

Rekha --- Good news! Was that your 1st or 2nd Orbasone treatment?

Cynthia D on 1/31/01 at 16:04 (037888)

Great news, I'm glad you're getting results - and good hope for me. I go to Dr. Z. Monday, and am beginning to 'freak' a little. How much rest is vigorous rest? Total rest? Occasionally sitting? No stairs? What amount have you been out because some people go to parties the night of their treatments. Could you walk ok after - to get to your hotel, airline gate, etc.? Are you taking any anti-inflammatories? I was reading old stuff here this am that said not to. I also need both feet, the left being the worse and longest suffering one.

And most importantly, do you think I'll be able to play in a tennis match on March 8 (4 weeks post Orbasone)? It is the very last match of the season, very important to me, and that's my goal! Any advice is appreciated, and any experiences you wish to share would be extremely welcomed. thanks

rekha.s on 1/31/01 at 16:37 (037890)

Cynthia, I am glad you are going for the eswt with Dr Z, who is a great Dr! I have been resting as much as possible. After the treatment I came back via airline (but didnt get wheelchair). I walked little bit, not much.

Ever since I have been back, I have been lying on the couch and resting as much as I can...I am lucky that I am not currently working...and my husband is great...I havent been cleaning cooking...nothing...I just go to the bathroom and take shower...and walk to get something to eat......

I was to start college last week, but decided to drop all three classes, which was a real bummer, but I figure I can go next semester when my feet are better. No, I am not taking anti-inflammatories, just icing and hot soaks as per Dr Z's recommendation. As far as your tennis match is concerned, if it were me, I woudn't do it...because I wouldn't want to take that chance...after all this heartache I have been thru, but that is your call.

Cynthia D on 1/31/01 at 18:43 (037899)

You are lucky your hubby is so good. Mine is, too. He even 'makes' me sit down or the couch (or computer desk) every night after dinner while he does the dishes. We have 3 little kiddos, though, so I sit when I can when we have a sitter or he's home. (Funny play on words - the sitter comes so I can sit!)

The youngest is 17 months. Hubby wants me to take it easy before the ESWT to be in top shape for a speedy recovery. That's why I'm staying in Phil. for 3 nights on my own, he is travelling and working anyway so we have a full time sitter day and night for those days. It will be nice not doing anything for anyone but myself.

I'm planning to kick back, read, maybe get to know my new Palm Pilot, (will it get heelspurs.com?), have massages and whirlpools while I am in Philly - what a treat, but I'm still extremely nervous. Thanks for your insight, and keep making the good progress.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/31/01 at 20:01 (037913)

Don't be nervious I will be there to get you thru this. !!!. Easy for me to say I worry about getting my teeth cleaned.

Re: How much rest is vigorous rest?

Julie on 2/01/01 at 01:56 (037940)

Hi Cynthia

I love this description! To me it means that we need to be observant of how much rest our feet need, and make the day-to-day decisions on the basis of our condition. The question, though, is really a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string one. The answer is different for everyone. For some people with acute and constant pain, it may mean 'feet up all the time except for going to the loo' (British terminology'). For someone with a mild case it could mean 'don't walk more than a mile or two every day'. I think it depends on the pain level. My guide has been the knowledge that whatever causes pain is causing re-injury, and that if I continue doing whatever it is, the tearing and inflammation get worse.

Cynthia, I hate to be a killjoy, but I don't think a tennis match four weeks after orbasone would qualify as 'rest' for anyone. Please get Dr Z's opinion, but it worries me for you. Think about what is more important - the match, or your health and a future without pain. Do please give yourself time to heal after the treatment and give the treatment the best chance of working for that future.

Good luck with your treatment!

Julie

Re: How much rest is vigorous rest? A follow up

Cynthia D on 2/01/01 at 06:21 (037944)

Dr. Z. you must really love what you do to go home at 8:00 and communicate with us sufferers after a long day at work. But I need to tell you, your reassurances really help even though you'll be the one holding the thing that shoots voltages into my foot - it is us against the machine? I alwalys thought it was me against whoever was inflicting the pain. Haha.

Julie, your advice is really practical and can you ever imagine the day you would be told to 'only walk a mile or two!' What a dream that would be. I know you're right about the tennis but I really do have some days that are not as bad as others once my feet get warmed up, and anticipate even more good days post orbasone. Thanks.

Rekah, enjoy being a queen, I'll be there soon, too.

Jasmine on 2/12/01 at 15:20 (038740)

I am having my first Orbasone treatment this week to treat PF in my right foot. I am hoping to be able to get back into tennis after the recovery time...12 weeks max. Is this realistic?????? Any info or experiences will be greatly appreciated! -Jasmine

Barbara TX on 2/12/01 at 16:34 (038751)

Jasmine - good luck with the ESWT. You will really have to determine yourself just what your pain level alows you to do, and the 12 week recovery period is just a general rule... some doctors even stretch this to 16 weeks. I myself got the most relief AFTER the 12 week period. Some others get relief within a week. Personally, I would leave off the tennis until I could do all other activities with no pain, for fear that the PF would reoccur. And you DON'T want that to happen! B.