Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calcalus Navicular Bar ever heard of it??

Posted by Deborah on 2/02/01 at 01:12 (038035)

I wrote in before with Fibro foot. One of my Poditrist looked at my MRI and said he said he saw the Navicular bar in both feet. He said it was very rare. I have pain in both feet all across the the bottoms.I will say it started with my bout with Fibro. Anyway another Poditrist said he didn't see it on the MRI. So who do I believe? He also held my foot up and wiggled my foot left and right and said I had little movement. That's another way he could tell so he says. Could you please tell me about this condition and if I might have it. My orthotics don't really help. Thank You Deborah

Re: Calcalus Navicular Bar ever heard of it??

Dr. Biehler on 2/02/01 at 06:03 (038042)

When the coalition is extra-articular it is called a 'bar', when it is intra-articular it is called a 'bridge'. There are three common types; talonavicular, calcanialnavicular and talocalcanial. The calcanealnavicular usually showes a 'comma sign' on x-ray and the taylonavicular one is readily seen on x-ray but is usually asymptomatic. Conservative treatment is directed toward restricting motion in the joints of the foot to reduce muscle spasims. Foe surgical treatment the extra-articular are more reseptive to resection and you may need an arthrodesis.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/02/01 at 06:11 (038043)

This is where there is a bridge of bone that connect two or more joints where there should be motion at that joint. So due to the bone bridge or block the particular joint can't perform the necessary joint motion that is needed to walk . Other tendons, ligaments and joints then need to compensate for this lack of motion.

There will be a change in the way you walk and pain through out your foot.

You can have a CAT Scan performed in those areas in question which should give your doctor additional information. about the

Another name for this conditon is called TARSAL COALITION.

Dr. Biehler on 2/02/01 at 06:03 (038042)

When the coalition is extra-articular it is called a 'bar', when it is intra-articular it is called a 'bridge'. There are three common types; talonavicular, calcanialnavicular and talocalcanial. The calcanealnavicular usually showes a 'comma sign' on x-ray and the taylonavicular one is readily seen on x-ray but is usually asymptomatic. Conservative treatment is directed toward restricting motion in the joints of the foot to reduce muscle spasims. Foe surgical treatment the extra-articular are more reseptive to resection and you may need an arthrodesis.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/02/01 at 06:11 (038043)

This is where there is a bridge of bone that connect two or more joints where there should be motion at that joint. So due to the bone bridge or block the particular joint can't perform the necessary joint motion that is needed to walk . Other tendons, ligaments and joints then need to compensate for this lack of motion.

There will be a change in the way you walk and pain through out your foot.

You can have a CAT Scan performed in those areas in question which should give your doctor additional information. about the

Another name for this conditon is called TARSAL COALITION.