Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Torn fascia?

Posted by PamB on 2/02/01 at 10:37 (038058)

I have experienced heel pain for approximately 5 years, mainly related to playing tennis. I do wear custom orthotics. My latest bout of pain began 3 months ago when I started playing tennis again. I received a steroid injection 3 weeks ago and was advised to perform stretching exercises, never go barefoot (wear birkenstocks for slippers) but otherwise resume activity when I felt 'better'. While playing tennis last thursday, I felt a snap in my foot and stopped playing immediately. I was able to limp home but the next morning could not place any weight on my foot. I returned to the podiatrist on Monday and he seemed to think that I over stretched the plantar fascia again and told me to continue with the stretches and resume activity when I felt better. The pain has moved from the bottom of my heel to the back of the heel, particularly when I begin to push off of the ball of the foot to take a step. It throbs throughout the day and is worse by night time. Could I have torn the plantar fascia away from the heel? How would I know? If I have, is there a different treatment option? Should I return to my podiatrist and insist that something else be done or is rest and ice the only answer? When can I expect relief and a return to normal activiyt (e.g. treadmill and tennis)? Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Torn fascia?

Dr. Biehler on 2/02/01 at 11:04 (038060)

If you felt the snap, then something was torn. Usually if the fascia tears you can feel a lump in the area. You might also have torn your posterior tibial muscle. In either case you should not be exercising threw pain and need to be care withyour foot at this point. An MRI, sonogram and sometimes even a soft tissue x-ray might help confirm a diagnosis at this point. Dr. B.

Re: Torn fascia?

Dr. Biehler on 2/02/01 at 11:04 (038060)

If you felt the snap, then something was torn. Usually if the fascia tears you can feel a lump in the area. You might also have torn your posterior tibial muscle. In either case you should not be exercising threw pain and need to be care withyour foot at this point. An MRI, sonogram and sometimes even a soft tissue x-ray might help confirm a diagnosis at this point. Dr. B.