Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Could it be lack of electrolytes???

Posted by Celia on 2/02/01 at 11:05 (038061)

I have recently noticed that although my PF doesn't hurt as much anymore, the pain seems to connect to my achilles and calves. Each time I use the stationary bike, for example, my legs feel a little crampy and I start to feel these charlie horse-type pain along the calf muscles which, in turn, shoot pain down to my feet. I've been told that my electrolytes could possibly be low. Is there a way to determine if a low count of potassium, magnesium, etc., in my body could be the cause to this pain that shoots down to my heels? Could that be a major part of my problem??

Re: Could it be lack of electrolytes???

Dr. Biehler on 2/02/01 at 13:24 (038065)

Don't forget lack of calcium. If your electrolites are off it is usually do to dehydration. From your discription it could be more of an overuse syndrom,ie..too much exercise with out enough recovery time!!! From there you can look at exercise caused compartment syndrom and vascular problems. It is more common to find they lack of recover time to be the cause. Dr. B.

Julie on 2/03/01 at 03:01 (038097)

(PIPE)

Cynthia, could it also be the use of the stationary bike that is causing the trouble? I haven't any experience of it myself, but I recall from other people's postings that a recumbent bike seems to be a better option than an ordinary upright stationary bike - less pull on the achilles and the fascia.

Dr. Biehler on 2/02/01 at 13:24 (038065)

Don't forget lack of calcium. If your electrolites are off it is usually do to dehydration. From your discription it could be more of an overuse syndrom,ie..too much exercise with out enough recovery time!!! From there you can look at exercise caused compartment syndrom and vascular problems. It is more common to find they lack of recover time to be the cause. Dr. B.

Julie on 2/03/01 at 03:01 (038097)

(PIPE)

Cynthia, could it also be the use of the stationary bike that is causing the trouble? I haven't any experience of it myself, but I recall from other people's postings that a recumbent bike seems to be a better option than an ordinary upright stationary bike - less pull on the achilles and the fascia.