Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posterior Tibial Tendon?

Posted by JudyS on 2/02/01 at 13:37 (038066)

Docs - I've just come from my Pod with a whole new possible diagnosis. I started with PF almost 3 years ago....it was at it's worst about a year ago. Now it's about 15-20% of what it was then and I can function quite well - although not trying real running or long-distance walking yet.
The more demanding problem I've had in the last few months is closer to the 'top' of the arch in a joint area. (If I do a motion similar to grinding out a cigarette with the ball of my foot, this arch spot produces very intense, sharp, pain - it feels like something is fracturing or tearing. The only thing that I can do is wait it out. The intensity subsides in about 30 to 60 seconds. My Pod asked if flexing my foot would ease the pain (thinking it's a spasm) and I said no.) With too much activity, this arch pain extends to the lower/front perimeter of my inside ankle bone. Anyway, today my Pod says he thinks it's the Posterior Tibial Tendon and he would like me to wrap it with elastic to provide compression. He gave me a 'Fab's wrap (actually designed for PF arch support) but I won't be using it because I tried them last year for my PF and the 'arch' pad in them is just too much. Instead, in the interest of compression, I'll be using an ankle wrap. I may decide to alter that by cutting off the ankle part or I may try to alter the Fabs by trying to remove the arch pad.
Anyway.....our conversations on these boards occasionally is about PTT but I never paid much attention to it.....can I get your thoughts about it and about treatment? Also, is it reasonable to think that having PF for so long led to this? Last, what's the usual prognosis?
I have a little bit of a difficult time conversing with my Pod because he tends to interrupt and is always in a hurry. Don't get me wrong - he's a great guy and I really like him but I need a way to be able to really talk with him about many factors. Any thoughts there?

Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/02/01 at 18:12 (038077)

Usually when this happens you leave the guy but don't do this. Sometimes writing a letter to him about how this has effected your life could help.

This is a difficult situation that maybe writing will bring you guys closer as well as helping you but the chance is that it could make him run . It is a chance you may have to take.

PTT is one of the mis-disorders that causes pf. It is a progressive conditon that only frustrates both the doctor and especially the patient due to the pain that no one seems to be able to locate and help. So take a chance if the doc is good . I have been awaken with letters in the past. I take them as a challenge to be there when the patient need me.

Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/02/01 at 18:12 (038077)

Usually when this happens you leave the guy but don't do this. Sometimes writing a letter to him about how this has effected your life could help.

This is a difficult situation that maybe writing will bring you guys closer as well as helping you but the chance is that it could make him run . It is a chance you may have to take.

PTT is one of the mis-disorders that causes pf. It is a progressive conditon that only frustrates both the doctor and especially the patient due to the pain that no one seems to be able to locate and help. So take a chance if the doc is good . I have been awaken with letters in the past. I take them as a challenge to be there when the patient need me.