Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Update on progress with orthotics

Posted by Glynis B on 2/02/01 at 17:38 (038075)

I had last hit the site in early Dec I think. Richard you had not been impressed with Foot Levelers and I have to agree with you by this time. I still have no improvement in my foot pain. I feel there may not be enough arch support in these orthotics. My next goal is to keep up the icing and exercises and weight loss as well. I have also booked off March from both my jobs to see if rest will help. Do you recommend any brand of orthotics that you know to be available in Canada? ( I live in southwestern Ontario).Also Birkenstocks seem to be readily available here and I intend to go shopping and check them out on the advice of a friend who swears by them. Your site is really appreciated.

Re: Update on progress with orthotics

brian graham C Ped on 2/03/01 at 08:29 (038106)

Richard is correct. I hate to put down other products but foot levelers are not a great device for control of foot funtion. They are used mostly by chiropractors to 'balance' patients. They are a laminate construction meaning foam pieces are glued around the heel and arch then sealed and covered with a leather top. In my opinion they dont control the heel funtion or fat pad, they are too low. also the dont provide control of the rearfoot, arch, or forefoot.

They work well in a dress shoe or for folks with a relativly normal foot but if you have a chronic condition or a poorly functioning foot there are better options. If you are in southern Ontario there are some good practitioners in Ohio or New York. Again I am not down grading the foot leveler just stating my experience. they work for many people but obviously you are not one of them. If you have a over pronated foot you may want to go to a running shoe store and ask for a 'motion control shoe' You may not like them from a fashion standpoint but they will most likely help your problem

Glynis B on 2/03/01 at 13:58 (038123)

Thanks for your comments. Actually, where I live is across the river from Port Huron, MI. I don't know how close your practice would be from there, but it sounds like you are in Michigan. I will first talk to my chiropractor about my dissatisfaction with my orthotics and take it from there. (By the way, I do not overpronate and I do not have high arches either.)

brian g C Ped on 2/03/01 at 17:45 (038132)

I did not realize you were that close I am 40 min north of Detroit. There are a few good orthotic guys at Port Huron Bone and Joint Mike Stroyan and Marcus are the names. They do good ortotic work. They send me several patients since I make them while they wait. They work for Dr Jerry. Hope your DC can fix them for you.

Re: To Brian Graham C Ped

Helene M on 2/04/01 at 10:17 (038163)

As a long-suffering high-arched person with a drawer full of unwearable orthotics, I was happy to read your article in Biomechanics. I hope you will let us know when your OTC orthotic comes on the market. As you mentioned New York in your post, can you give me any names of drs. in NY (NYC area) who are skilled in treating the high-arched foot? Thanks.

brian G C Ped on 2/05/01 at 08:56 (038221)

I am not sure of a Doctor in NY but I have a fellow CPed in the area. His name is Jeff Rich, you can find him in the CPed search. Jeff is very busy but does a good job. I appreciate the mention of the search engine. For some reason the board neglected to list me on the site? I notified them and it should be fixed soon. Dont want anybody to think I am a rogue CPed

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/01 at 16:27 (038240)

Hi Glynis,
I am sorry that the Foot Levelers did not work out for you. I have heard how often people have received new inserts hoping that it would help only to be disappointed later. Sounds like Brian has the same opinion as I do. As we are both C.Peds, I am sure we have the same opinion about other companies as well, but he and I will have to discuss that in the privacy of email:-).

Do check out those names that Brian mentioned. You can also use the C.Ped search function link on my web site to find any other C.Peds in your area.

Good luck to you. If you have questions about anything, please feel free to ask.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/01 at 16:29 (038241)

Hi Helene,
I have not 'spoken' with you in quite a while. I truly hope everthing is going well for you. Do check out Jeff Rich if you can. I have heard many great things about him.

Take care,
Richard

brian graham C Ped on 2/03/01 at 08:29 (038106)

Richard is correct. I hate to put down other products but foot levelers are not a great device for control of foot funtion. They are used mostly by chiropractors to 'balance' patients. They are a laminate construction meaning foam pieces are glued around the heel and arch then sealed and covered with a leather top. In my opinion they dont control the heel funtion or fat pad, they are too low. also the dont provide control of the rearfoot, arch, or forefoot.

They work well in a dress shoe or for folks with a relativly normal foot but if you have a chronic condition or a poorly functioning foot there are better options. If you are in southern Ontario there are some good practitioners in Ohio or New York. Again I am not down grading the foot leveler just stating my experience. they work for many people but obviously you are not one of them. If you have a over pronated foot you may want to go to a running shoe store and ask for a 'motion control shoe' You may not like them from a fashion standpoint but they will most likely help your problem

Glynis B on 2/03/01 at 13:58 (038123)

Thanks for your comments. Actually, where I live is across the river from Port Huron, MI. I don't know how close your practice would be from there, but it sounds like you are in Michigan. I will first talk to my chiropractor about my dissatisfaction with my orthotics and take it from there. (By the way, I do not overpronate and I do not have high arches either.)

brian g C Ped on 2/03/01 at 17:45 (038132)

I did not realize you were that close I am 40 min north of Detroit. There are a few good orthotic guys at Port Huron Bone and Joint Mike Stroyan and Marcus are the names. They do good ortotic work. They send me several patients since I make them while they wait. They work for Dr Jerry. Hope your DC can fix them for you.

Helene M on 2/04/01 at 10:17 (038163)

As a long-suffering high-arched person with a drawer full of unwearable orthotics, I was happy to read your article in Biomechanics. I hope you will let us know when your OTC orthotic comes on the market. As you mentioned New York in your post, can you give me any names of drs. in NY (NYC area) who are skilled in treating the high-arched foot? Thanks.

brian G C Ped on 2/05/01 at 08:56 (038221)

I am not sure of a Doctor in NY but I have a fellow CPed in the area. His name is Jeff Rich, you can find him in the CPed search. Jeff is very busy but does a good job. I appreciate the mention of the search engine. For some reason the board neglected to list me on the site? I notified them and it should be fixed soon. Dont want anybody to think I am a rogue CPed

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/01 at 16:27 (038240)

Hi Glynis,
I am sorry that the Foot Levelers did not work out for you. I have heard how often people have received new inserts hoping that it would help only to be disappointed later. Sounds like Brian has the same opinion as I do. As we are both C.Peds, I am sure we have the same opinion about other companies as well, but he and I will have to discuss that in the privacy of email:-).

Do check out those names that Brian mentioned. You can also use the C.Ped search function link on my web site to find any other C.Peds in your area.

Good luck to you. If you have questions about anything, please feel free to ask.
Richard

Richard, C.Ped on 2/05/01 at 16:29 (038241)

Hi Helene,
I have not 'spoken' with you in quite a while. I truly hope everthing is going well for you. Do check out Jeff Rich if you can. I have heard many great things about him.

Take care,
Richard