Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Numbness in toes of both feet

Posted by Bill P on 2/03/01 at 00:59 (038094)

I was diagnosed with PF, in both feet, about 2.5 years ago. I went to a podiatrist who recommended custom orthosis and they improved the situation somewhat but I still had a lot of pain. On reading this website - that stretching is the one practice that has the highest success rate, I tried it and in 2 months the PF appeared to be gone completely. So far, so good.
At the time the PF started, I also began to notice some numbness in the toes of both feet. This condition has not improved and is getting more severe. It starts at the ball of the foot and goes to the tip of the toes. It doesn't cause a lot of pain but I'm concerned about what this may develop into. The only pain really is at times at night - I wakeup with burning or aching toes. I just finished a couple of sessions with a neurologist and his had some blood work done and then ran some nerve conduction tests. He told me today that he doesn't see anything conclusive from these tests and suggested we wait to see how things progress. Any thought or suggestions on what I can try to see if affects my numb toes condition?

Thanks, Bill

Re: Numbness in toes of both feet

Dr. Biehler on 2/03/01 at 05:59 (038102)

Some people wake up at night with pain in there lower legs an get relief when they drop their legs over the side of the bed. These people are having a problem with their arterial blood flow and the dependent position of their legs helps relieve the pain. What make the pain go away in your toes? If you are wearing shoes that are too tight in the toe box, when the pressure is removed, at night you can experiance the pain as the nerves wake up. This symptom is also common in diabetics and with other pheripheral neropathy problems. Dr. B.

Re: Numbness in toes of both feet

Dr. Biehler on 2/03/01 at 05:59 (038102)

Some people wake up at night with pain in there lower legs an get relief when they drop their legs over the side of the bed. These people are having a problem with their arterial blood flow and the dependent position of their legs helps relieve the pain. What make the pain go away in your toes? If you are wearing shoes that are too tight in the toe box, when the pressure is removed, at night you can experiance the pain as the nerves wake up. This symptom is also common in diabetics and with other pheripheral neropathy problems. Dr. B.