Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthotic high arch foot

Posted by brian graham C Ped on 2/03/01 at 08:18 (038105)

This is my first time posting to this board. Richard and Dr Z should be thanked for providing this forum. I would also like to thank the folks that posted positive comments on the article that Dr Manoli and I did for Biomechanics. Currently we have a patent pending on the otc orthotic for high arch feet. We are talking to labs about manufacturing/distributing the device. The idea was conceived after Dr Manoli and I were seeing a high number of pt with subtle and not so subtle cavus feet. Of the ones with orthotics, many had no relief or actually had increase in symptoms.

In our patent we have several design aspects that need to be incorporated to make the device funtion properly. These features have been utilized for several years and we have had excellent results. Obviously they will not be a cure all, but they will provide an excellent low cost method for treating this foot. And I believe the posts on this board indicate this condition often gets improper treatment from an orthotic standpoint.

I am a purist, and believe in my mind everybody in the world should have a custom fo in their shoes. Dr Manoli and I realize that it would be a great help to both the pt and practitioner community to provide a device that can address this foot type on a large scale. It is made of eva, which is very easy to work with. It can be heat molded, ground, or have more correction glued on in a matter of minutes. It is economical, some pt are reluctant due to cost or the fact that they have tried orthotics before with no success. They are also excellent to treat pt with OA of the medial knee compartment.

Once again I would like to thank all the folks that mentioned the article and I look forward to posting in the future. Any patients of Dr Z and Richard are fortunate. Many practitioners are too busy chasing the dollar to take the time to do all of this work

To Sean I am also a Master Bootfitter. I help teach the course in Chicago every year. Jeff, Greg and Bob speak highly of you guys and the boot tool you produce.

Re: orthotic high arch foot

Sean Tambling - C. Ped. - Master Bootfitter on 2/03/01 at 10:06 (038109)

Brian,
First, thankyou for the compliment. I am glad other C.Peds are posting messages on this board. It will allow for the patients to find other C.Peds who are dedicated to helping them achieve good results from their orthotics. Good luck on your new device. If possible e-mail me with your distribution of your product. Oh, by the way, Think Snow dude!!!!!

JudyS on 2/03/01 at 10:23 (038112)

Sean - thank you so very much for checking in here! I'm one of those frustrated, high-arched people and it means a lot to get more information about this particular quirk.
Just yesterday I saw my Pod and showed him your article from Biomechanics as I have always had increased problems from orthotics, not less! He asked me if he could keep it and I was heartened by that. I'll look forward to knowing more about your orthotics approach.
Please feel free to add me to your email list.

Re: orthotics high arch foot biomech authors

Donna SL on 2/03/01 at 12:02 (038115)

Judy,

I'm so glad the article on cavus feet in Biomechanics magazine is helping you too, and to know I'm not the only one that's been frustrated with the wrong orthotic for our high arched foot type.

Hopefully there will be some type of OTC for this foot type on the market soon. Even if one decides to go custom, this article will hopefully help open the eyes of people who are precribing orthotics for cavus feet.

I just wanted to make sure you knew the CPed who wrote the article though, along with the MD is Brian Graham Cped, and Dr. Manoli in Michigan. All the Cpeds that contribute to the board are wonderful, but I wanted to make sure they got the credit for this.

Donna

JudyS on 2/04/01 at 18:56 (038192)

Donna - I was just thinking....I plan to be in Michigan in the summer - maybe I'll hold off any more orthotic anything until I can try to see Brian.

Donna SL on 2/05/01 at 04:08 (038215)

Hi Judy,

Summer is a long time off. Did you check the Cped search function I posted for a Cped in your area? Why be uncomfortalbe until then? You could show them the article, and ask if they have made something similar. You more than likely will need adjustments along the way, so it's probably good to find someone local.

If you can wait, hopefully the OTC one they spoke of will be out in a couple of months. This way you could see if you like the general design, and it may be all that you need. What are you using now?

Donna

JudyS on 2/05/01 at 18:38 (038245)

Hi again Donna - Actually, our 'resident' Ped, Richard, referred me to one here in San Diego but I haven't contacted him - for no good reason. I've used several sets of orthotics, 2 were custom, but, just as in Brian's article, they only seem to make things worse. All of my orthotics have been given to me by Pods. My current Pod is (finally) beginning to understand that these high arches need a very minimal arch area in orthotics. He was very interested in Brian's article and would like to try to alter the orthotics I have. I have none in any shoes at this time. I have no increased heel pain or arch pain. The heel pain is minimal, the arch pain comes and goes. The reason I want to see Brian is that it appears that he is, more or less, a pioneer in orthotics directed at high-arch use. I like that because I'm frustrated with being lumped in to the 'flat foot' treatments. And, in spite of my vast improvement, I'm certain I'll need orthotics for the long term. I can't yet spend hours hiking or jogging, and I know that if I try the PF'll be full-force in a heartbeat.

JudyS on 2/05/01 at 18:43 (038247)

Donna, Sean, Brian - how strange - when I posted to the wrong person, Sean, about that Biomechanics article, I knew immediately that it was supposed to have been directed to Brian so I posted an apology....I'm only just discovering that my apology never made it to the board!
So here it is again (and thank you, Donna, for your reminder)- Brian, thanks for your article, it's been very useful to me. Sean, sorry I used your name incorrectly.

Sean Tambling - C. Ped. - Master Bootfitter on 2/03/01 at 10:06 (038109)

Brian,
First, thankyou for the compliment. I am glad other C.Peds are posting messages on this board. It will allow for the patients to find other C.Peds who are dedicated to helping them achieve good results from their orthotics. Good luck on your new device. If possible e-mail me with your distribution of your product. Oh, by the way, Think Snow dude!!!!!

JudyS on 2/03/01 at 10:23 (038112)

Sean - thank you so very much for checking in here! I'm one of those frustrated, high-arched people and it means a lot to get more information about this particular quirk.
Just yesterday I saw my Pod and showed him your article from Biomechanics as I have always had increased problems from orthotics, not less! He asked me if he could keep it and I was heartened by that. I'll look forward to knowing more about your orthotics approach.
Please feel free to add me to your email list.

Donna SL on 2/03/01 at 12:02 (038115)

Judy,

I'm so glad the article on cavus feet in Biomechanics magazine is helping you too, and to know I'm not the only one that's been frustrated with the wrong orthotic for our high arched foot type.

Hopefully there will be some type of OTC for this foot type on the market soon. Even if one decides to go custom, this article will hopefully help open the eyes of people who are precribing orthotics for cavus feet.

I just wanted to make sure you knew the CPed who wrote the article though, along with the MD is Brian Graham Cped, and Dr. Manoli in Michigan. All the Cpeds that contribute to the board are wonderful, but I wanted to make sure they got the credit for this.

Donna

JudyS on 2/04/01 at 18:56 (038192)

Donna - I was just thinking....I plan to be in Michigan in the summer - maybe I'll hold off any more orthotic anything until I can try to see Brian.

Donna SL on 2/05/01 at 04:08 (038215)

Hi Judy,

Summer is a long time off. Did you check the Cped search function I posted for a Cped in your area? Why be uncomfortalbe until then? You could show them the article, and ask if they have made something similar. You more than likely will need adjustments along the way, so it's probably good to find someone local.

If you can wait, hopefully the OTC one they spoke of will be out in a couple of months. This way you could see if you like the general design, and it may be all that you need. What are you using now?

Donna

JudyS on 2/05/01 at 18:38 (038245)

Hi again Donna - Actually, our 'resident' Ped, Richard, referred me to one here in San Diego but I haven't contacted him - for no good reason. I've used several sets of orthotics, 2 were custom, but, just as in Brian's article, they only seem to make things worse. All of my orthotics have been given to me by Pods. My current Pod is (finally) beginning to understand that these high arches need a very minimal arch area in orthotics. He was very interested in Brian's article and would like to try to alter the orthotics I have. I have none in any shoes at this time. I have no increased heel pain or arch pain. The heel pain is minimal, the arch pain comes and goes. The reason I want to see Brian is that it appears that he is, more or less, a pioneer in orthotics directed at high-arch use. I like that because I'm frustrated with being lumped in to the 'flat foot' treatments. And, in spite of my vast improvement, I'm certain I'll need orthotics for the long term. I can't yet spend hours hiking or jogging, and I know that if I try the PF'll be full-force in a heartbeat.

JudyS on 2/05/01 at 18:43 (038247)

Donna, Sean, Brian - how strange - when I posted to the wrong person, Sean, about that Biomechanics article, I knew immediately that it was supposed to have been directed to Brian so I posted an apology....I'm only just discovering that my apology never made it to the board!
So here it is again (and thank you, Donna, for your reminder)- Brian, thanks for your article, it's been very useful to me. Sean, sorry I used your name incorrectly.