Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cast

Posted by Linda F on 2/03/01 at 12:25 (038116)

I was placed in a walking cast(fiberglass,w/boot...cast not removeable)
on Thursday.(left Foot) I am trying to adjust to this cast and and also walking with a cane on the other side.
Problem is I am feeling like muscle pulls and soreness on the back of the knee that is not enclosed in the cast. but on the same leg as the cast when I walk !!!Is that normal /and O.K.???? Should I contact my Pod on Monday??.
He is tryng to immobilize my left foot for fractured heel spur and PF which has been with me for a long time and several other modalities have not helped me.He said 2 weeks in this cast!!Cast is about 2 and 1/2 inches below the knee and toes are visable!!
What do you think?? will this soreness go away and what can I do about it??
Thanx for your reply!!!

Re: Cast

Dr. Biehler on 2/04/01 at 07:23 (038159)

Take it easy when walking. It sounds like you might be hyper extending the knee joint which can strain the back of the knee. You might need crutches to help. As for the size of the cast, it needs to be down from the knee ( like it is ) so it doesn't compress the peroial nerve as it passes around the fibula. The toes are left exsposed you the vascularity can be checked incase the leg starts to swell. Dr. B.

KellyD on 2/05/01 at 09:49 (038224)

Finding a shoe for the foot not in the cast that makes you level will help with that. I went to a department store and had them bring me every pair of shoes in my size they had until we found the right one! I ended up with a style of Clark's clogs with a pretty thick sole (front & back) that worked perfectly. My doctor also had me use the cane on the same side as the cast - not the other side. That way you take pressure off your 'bad' foot when you walk. Wearing a cast comfortably is a talent - good luck.

Dr. Biehler on 2/04/01 at 07:23 (038159)

Take it easy when walking. It sounds like you might be hyper extending the knee joint which can strain the back of the knee. You might need crutches to help. As for the size of the cast, it needs to be down from the knee ( like it is ) so it doesn't compress the peroial nerve as it passes around the fibula. The toes are left exsposed you the vascularity can be checked incase the leg starts to swell. Dr. B.

KellyD on 2/05/01 at 09:49 (038224)

Finding a shoe for the foot not in the cast that makes you level will help with that. I went to a department store and had them bring me every pair of shoes in my size they had until we found the right one! I ended up with a style of Clark's clogs with a pretty thick sole (front & back) that worked perfectly. My doctor also had me use the cane on the same side as the cast - not the other side. That way you take pressure off your 'bad' foot when you walk. Wearing a cast comfortably is a talent - good luck.