Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Planter fascitis,right foot

Posted by Tracey A on 2/03/01 at 12:38 (038117)

Dr. Doctors, I have a question and hope you have an answer. I just got my medical records from the first doctor who did my first surgery on my right foot and I read something that I don't understand. It says I x-rayed her today and there is a little irregularity in the area of what should be the spur. When I operated I did not enter this area. What does this mean in laymen terms? Today I am in pain after having 2 surgeries and do not see me getting any better. I'v seen a 3rd doctor who has said and I quote 'it is my opinion that she has ongoing permanent and irreversible damage to her right heel and has likely exhausted treatment for this condition' enquote. Could you please give an answer to the question from above. Thank you

Re: Planter fascitis,right foot

Dr. Biehler on 2/03/01 at 12:58 (038120)

You can find a forth doctor and have him request your records and coppies of your x-rays or you can call the first doctor and ask him what it means. As for 'permanent and irreversible', it sounds like this doctor doesn't want to take on any hard cases. Don't forget that ESWT has helped alot of people even after failed surgeries. Dr. B.

Tracey A on 2/03/01 at 22:14 (038142)

Thanks for the quick response. Are you telling me that this 3rd doctor is using a cop out and really doesn't mean what he says? So,there is nothing wrong with me and he is actually lying because he does'nt want to take this on. What is the area of spur? Does that mean there is a spur or is there something in the foot called by this name? What is meant by the area of what would be called the spur, he saw a irregularity in that area. What does that mean?

DR. Biehler on 2/04/01 at 07:18 (038157)

There is on going damage but wether you can know if it can be helped or not depends on when you stop trying. The spur in PF is located on the forward botton of the heel bone where the fascia attaches. If a statement is made to irregularities in this area after an x-ray, they might be reffering to the spur or heel bone itself. Some causes of heel pain, such as Reiter's Syndrome and others cause changes in the way the bones look,.ie.. fluffy bone, excessive bone, lucencies, avascular areas, the list goes on. As the spur is not 'usually' not the cause of the pain, the first doctor probably left it alone as he said. If your last doctor does not think he can help you, take him at his word and find someone else. Dr. B.

Julie on 2/04/01 at 08:30 (038161)

Tracey, I've been contemplating on this since yesterday. What your Doctor Number 3 said about having 'exhausted treatment' made me angry, and I didn't want to fire off an unhelpful expletive right away! I have no idea whether he was right or wrong, but I do feel that he shouldn't have said it. Coincidentally, I also spoke yesterday to someone who told me that her father has a brain tumour and 'has been given two years to live'. That kind of statement is of the same order Dr 3's, and NO doctor should ever take away a patient's hope in this way.

Dr 3 may well have been signalling that he just didn't want to be lumbered with a 'tough case'. I hope so. In any case, he can't help you, so please follow Dr B's advice and find someone else. And do investigate ESWT.

I wish you all the best in your search.

Tracey A on 2/04/01 at 16:09 (038177)

Thanks for the advice I think I will go to another doctor until I get some answers. This is so frustrating and it's hard not to get depressed and give up. I can't even shave my legs standing up anymore or rollerblade. This has really changed my life and the way I do things. I'll keep on truckin........ Thanks

Dr. Biehler on 2/03/01 at 12:58 (038120)

You can find a forth doctor and have him request your records and coppies of your x-rays or you can call the first doctor and ask him what it means. As for 'permanent and irreversible', it sounds like this doctor doesn't want to take on any hard cases. Don't forget that ESWT has helped alot of people even after failed surgeries. Dr. B.

Tracey A on 2/03/01 at 22:14 (038142)

Thanks for the quick response. Are you telling me that this 3rd doctor is using a cop out and really doesn't mean what he says? So,there is nothing wrong with me and he is actually lying because he does'nt want to take this on. What is the area of spur? Does that mean there is a spur or is there something in the foot called by this name? What is meant by the area of what would be called the spur, he saw a irregularity in that area. What does that mean?

DR. Biehler on 2/04/01 at 07:18 (038157)

There is on going damage but wether you can know if it can be helped or not depends on when you stop trying. The spur in PF is located on the forward botton of the heel bone where the fascia attaches. If a statement is made to irregularities in this area after an x-ray, they might be reffering to the spur or heel bone itself. Some causes of heel pain, such as Reiter's Syndrome and others cause changes in the way the bones look,.ie.. fluffy bone, excessive bone, lucencies, avascular areas, the list goes on. As the spur is not 'usually' not the cause of the pain, the first doctor probably left it alone as he said. If your last doctor does not think he can help you, take him at his word and find someone else. Dr. B.

Julie on 2/04/01 at 08:30 (038161)

Tracey, I've been contemplating on this since yesterday. What your Doctor Number 3 said about having 'exhausted treatment' made me angry, and I didn't want to fire off an unhelpful expletive right away! I have no idea whether he was right or wrong, but I do feel that he shouldn't have said it. Coincidentally, I also spoke yesterday to someone who told me that her father has a brain tumour and 'has been given two years to live'. That kind of statement is of the same order Dr 3's, and NO doctor should ever take away a patient's hope in this way.

Dr 3 may well have been signalling that he just didn't want to be lumbered with a 'tough case'. I hope so. In any case, he can't help you, so please follow Dr B's advice and find someone else. And do investigate ESWT.

I wish you all the best in your search.

Tracey A on 2/04/01 at 16:09 (038177)

Thanks for the advice I think I will go to another doctor until I get some answers. This is so frustrating and it's hard not to get depressed and give up. I can't even shave my legs standing up anymore or rollerblade. This has really changed my life and the way I do things. I'll keep on truckin........ Thanks