Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tingling in feet?

Posted by rekha.s on 2/03/01 at 16:21 (038126)

Hi everyone, I am 2 weeks post orbasone, and just last few days have been noticing tingling in feet and near ankle area. Is this normal? It tingles even when foot is resting.

Re: tingling in feet?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/01 at 18:30 (038133)

Just like foot surgery for heel spurs, you can get unusual sensation post ESWT. Remember this is a mechanical trauma to the insertion of th pf. In addition are you on your feet alot. Stopping stretching for a few days if the tinging and or pain increases. Rest is very important when the foot starts to talk to you. I find that extra swelling, tinging, pain are all signs of healing or too much activitiy . With ESWT it is very benefical to rest the foot by refraining from excessive long walks, hikes, shopping and or high impact aerobics.

rekha.s on 2/03/01 at 19:04 (038134)

Dr Z: In fact I have been resting sooo much that my back is little sore..I am doing nothing, absolutely nothing....except on the couch resting my foot, doing some gentle stretches, only time I am on my feet is to go to bathroom or kitchen..to eat...

The pain from procedure has gone, and i feel minimal pain when walking...I am very happy with orbasone...except the last few days I have this tingling which is weird..in ankle and bottom of foot....

if this is healing taking place..then fine....as long as I am not getting worse, or some other ailment.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/01 at 19:55 (038135)

It is find don't worry

Julie on 2/04/01 at 03:01 (038147)

Hi Rekha

Prolonged bed rest will almost always lead to a niggly, uncomfortable back. May I make a couple of suggestions? As an alternative to the couch, which isn't giving your back good support. lie on the floor occasionally (carpeted if possible, or with a folded blanket under you).

Lie in the semi-supine position with your knees bent, a pillow under your head, and your hands comfortably on your abdomen. Let go, and release the tension in your back with each out breath.

In this position you can also do gentle pelvic tilts. Allow your lower back to sink into the floor as you exhale, and release it as you inhale.

The cat stretch, which you may know, is good for releasing tension in the spine. It works the back muscles gently with no weight or pressure on the feet. On your hands and knees - hands directly under your shoulders, knees directly under your hips - tuck in your chin and gently arch your back upwards towards the ceiling (as a cat does). Then begin to look forwards, arching your back the other way. It should dip gently down in a smooth, lengthened curve: don't squash your lower back by pushing it down. Keep alternating the two movements - it should feel very smooth and fluid - for as long as you are comfortable on your hands and knees.

I hope this helps get rid of the back-niggles. If anything isn't clear, you can e-mail me.

Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/01 at 06:36 (038154)

Thanks for the help. I also learned another stretching excerise for the lower back, Get on a well padded rug. Treat the back like a coiled spring
Place yourself in a tucked position with your hands around your knees,, Now slowly with your knees on the ground walk your elbows out to a full cat stretch position then go back to the coiled position step by step or really elbow by elbow. Hold the coiled position for ten seconds. Hold the full extension for ten second. If this can't be clear in your mind then think of a spring you coil the spring and then uncoil the back or spring

Julie on 2/04/01 at 12:07 (038167)

That's a nice exercise, Dr Z, and fun to do. I think I'll introduce it in my classes this week.

I think it works best if you keep your buttocks in contact with your heels. Is that how you do it?

rekha on 2/04/01 at 16:12 (038178)

thanks for the tips...and I just ordered the PFT also...

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/01 at 18:30 (038133)

Just like foot surgery for heel spurs, you can get unusual sensation post ESWT. Remember this is a mechanical trauma to the insertion of th pf. In addition are you on your feet alot. Stopping stretching for a few days if the tinging and or pain increases. Rest is very important when the foot starts to talk to you. I find that extra swelling, tinging, pain are all signs of healing or too much activitiy . With ESWT it is very benefical to rest the foot by refraining from excessive long walks, hikes, shopping and or high impact aerobics.

rekha.s on 2/03/01 at 19:04 (038134)

Dr Z: In fact I have been resting sooo much that my back is little sore..I am doing nothing, absolutely nothing....except on the couch resting my foot, doing some gentle stretches, only time I am on my feet is to go to bathroom or kitchen..to eat...

The pain from procedure has gone, and i feel minimal pain when walking...I am very happy with orbasone...except the last few days I have this tingling which is weird..in ankle and bottom of foot....

if this is healing taking place..then fine....as long as I am not getting worse, or some other ailment.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/03/01 at 19:55 (038135)

It is find don't worry

Julie on 2/04/01 at 03:01 (038147)

Hi Rekha

Prolonged bed rest will almost always lead to a niggly, uncomfortable back. May I make a couple of suggestions? As an alternative to the couch, which isn't giving your back good support. lie on the floor occasionally (carpeted if possible, or with a folded blanket under you).

Lie in the semi-supine position with your knees bent, a pillow under your head, and your hands comfortably on your abdomen. Let go, and release the tension in your back with each out breath.

In this position you can also do gentle pelvic tilts. Allow your lower back to sink into the floor as you exhale, and release it as you inhale.

The cat stretch, which you may know, is good for releasing tension in the spine. It works the back muscles gently with no weight or pressure on the feet. On your hands and knees - hands directly under your shoulders, knees directly under your hips - tuck in your chin and gently arch your back upwards towards the ceiling (as a cat does). Then begin to look forwards, arching your back the other way. It should dip gently down in a smooth, lengthened curve: don't squash your lower back by pushing it down. Keep alternating the two movements - it should feel very smooth and fluid - for as long as you are comfortable on your hands and knees.

I hope this helps get rid of the back-niggles. If anything isn't clear, you can e-mail me.

Julie

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/01 at 06:36 (038154)

Thanks for the help. I also learned another stretching excerise for the lower back, Get on a well padded rug. Treat the back like a coiled spring
Place yourself in a tucked position with your hands around your knees,, Now slowly with your knees on the ground walk your elbows out to a full cat stretch position then go back to the coiled position step by step or really elbow by elbow. Hold the coiled position for ten seconds. Hold the full extension for ten second. If this can't be clear in your mind then think of a spring you coil the spring and then uncoil the back or spring

Julie on 2/04/01 at 12:07 (038167)

That's a nice exercise, Dr Z, and fun to do. I think I'll introduce it in my classes this week.

I think it works best if you keep your buttocks in contact with your heels. Is that how you do it?

rekha on 2/04/01 at 16:12 (038178)

thanks for the tips...and I just ordered the PFT also...