Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

running and PF

Posted by mike b. on 2/04/01 at 03:38 (038150)

I usually run about 8 miles a week, but haven't been running for the last two or three weeks due to PF in my left heel. It has improved. I ran two miles two weeks ago after laying off a week due to PF. At first I thought it was a set-back, but after some ice and massage, I seemed better than before I had run. Is it possible that some running, in milder cases of PF, could actually stimulate circulation, and therefore be good for the PF? Or is it better to just avoid the running, and opt for the bike or stairmaster for a while?

Re: running and PF

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/01 at 06:31 (038153)

IF you can't pin point the exact reason in your running such as different surfaces, need new running shoes, change in weather, longer miles etc , then stop running for four weeks and cross train and stretch , and wear shoes that have a rigid shank.

Treat this like all on us non-runneres but stop the running

mike b. on 2/04/01 at 14:47 (038172)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I do think that shoes contributed to the problem. I have been so wrapped up in dissertation the last few years that I have neglected to buy new running shoes. I ran in the same shoes for around 4 or more years. I didn't even change the inserts (orthotics?) because it never entered my mind. I have two new pairs of running shoes now and some PowerStep inserts. They are also comfortable for just walking, moreso than dress shoes, even with the same inserts.

I am anxious to try a little running again, but am definitely being careful, favoring the cross-training. Thanks for your reply.

Dr.Mike B. - Professor of Music

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/04/01 at 06:31 (038153)

IF you can't pin point the exact reason in your running such as different surfaces, need new running shoes, change in weather, longer miles etc , then stop running for four weeks and cross train and stretch , and wear shoes that have a rigid shank.

Treat this like all on us non-runneres but stop the running

mike b. on 2/04/01 at 14:47 (038172)

Dr. Zuckerman,

I do think that shoes contributed to the problem. I have been so wrapped up in dissertation the last few years that I have neglected to buy new running shoes. I ran in the same shoes for around 4 or more years. I didn't even change the inserts (orthotics?) because it never entered my mind. I have two new pairs of running shoes now and some PowerStep inserts. They are also comfortable for just walking, moreso than dress shoes, even with the same inserts.

I am anxious to try a little running again, but am definitely being careful, favoring the cross-training. Thanks for your reply.

Dr.Mike B. - Professor of Music