Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is it or isn't it?

Posted by hanne b. on 2/05/01 at 19:17 (038252)

For the past 2.5 years I have had quite severe pains in the tendons on the bottom of both feet under the arch when I first get out of bed in the morning. It now also happens after sitting. But after I have hobbled around for a while, the pain goes away, and everything is back to normal. It started with a burning painful sensation in my feet that often kept me awake at night. Like my feet were about to explode from within. The toes are going numb, and I need to wear warm sox most of the year, or the feet get so cold they cramp up. After walking around for several hours I now also sometimes get what looks like enlarged bloodvessels, and bleeding under the skin on the inside of my left ankle, to an inch or two above the ankle bone. I have consulted a doctor, who is at a loss as to what the problem is. A bloodtest revealed the ANA at 640, with all other antibody tests negative. A subsequent test ruled out lupus, but rheumatoid arthritis was hinted at, and the ANA level was unexplained. However, none of the pain is in the joints or bones, it comes from the soft tissue at the bottom of my feet, and the tendons. As my doctor has put my problem in the Too Hard Basket, I would appreciate any help in solving the mystery. HANNE

Re: is it or isn't it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/05/01 at 23:13 (038276)

This is not too much information but here goes. The arch pain could be from the posterior tibial tendon not functioning properly . This would cause pain, burning etc. The area around your ankle could be signs of breakdown of viens from the stress of your feet and the lack of proper functioning. of the tendon around the ankle. The human foot and ankle support all of your weight each and every step you take everyday. In a person that weights 125 lbs that takes about 5,000 steps per day that almost 125,000 lbs of weight on the bottom of the foot and the arch etc

Tell me more about your feet etc what treatment have you had. What kind of doctors have have you seen. Always glad to try to help. Please give us as much information as you can.

Re: is it or isn't it?

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/05/01 at 23:13 (038276)

This is not too much information but here goes. The arch pain could be from the posterior tibial tendon not functioning properly . This would cause pain, burning etc. The area around your ankle could be signs of breakdown of viens from the stress of your feet and the lack of proper functioning. of the tendon around the ankle. The human foot and ankle support all of your weight each and every step you take everyday. In a person that weights 125 lbs that takes about 5,000 steps per day that almost 125,000 lbs of weight on the bottom of the foot and the arch etc

Tell me more about your feet etc what treatment have you had. What kind of doctors have have you seen. Always glad to try to help. Please give us as much information as you can.