Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question on the boot splint

Posted by BarbS on 2/06/01 at 09:39 (038290)

Hi. I have had PF for over two years now. I wear orthodics and do other things to take care of it. However, recently my orthodic caused me to get tendonitis on the side of my left foot. It caused me to put too much weight on the inside of my foot. The name of the tendon involved starts with a P but I can't remember what it is. It runs down the side of the leg and into the foot. Anyway, my pod put me on Vioxx for a week and added padding to the arch of my orthodic. I felt better right away and told my pod during the follow-up visit. He said if it returns, he'll want to put me in a boot splint to immobilize it. Well, it has returned and I am afraid to go back because I don't want the boot unless I know it will help. Can you please explain to me how it helps and if it is a long-term fix or just a temporary band aid until it comes back again? I really want a long-term solution and don't want to be inactive for a long period of time if it's not going to help me for longer than just a little while. Thanks for your help.

Re: Question on the boot splint

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/07/01 at 11:04 (038352)

This is a tendon called the posterior tibial tendon. It is a major tendon that function in the supination phase of the walking cycle.

The first thing is to determing what is causing this. Any injury. You need a complete biomechanical gait and function evaluation. In the end two things that can be done. Adjustment of the orthosis. Change of specifice activity. Very important to treat this now before there are permanent changes in this very important tendon. Look on the search engines for this site and read alot about posterior tibiali dysfunction.

Re: Question on the boot splint

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/07/01 at 11:04 (038352)

This is a tendon called the posterior tibial tendon. It is a major tendon that function in the supination phase of the walking cycle.

The first thing is to determing what is causing this. Any injury. You need a complete biomechanical gait and function evaluation. In the end two things that can be done. Adjustment of the orthosis. Change of specifice activity. Very important to treat this now before there are permanent changes in this very important tendon. Look on the search engines for this site and read alot about posterior tibiali dysfunction.