Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post surgery news

Posted by marie r on 2/06/01 at 09:55 (038291)

Hi Everyone, Yesterday I had the open pf release and spur removal surgery done. I am doing really well so far. I had so much fear of the post op pain, but it is so minimal compared to the pain I was in before. I am having a hard time getting around on crutches. My doctor said this would be a slow healing process so I am hoping everyday just gets better even if it is slow. I am on Percocet and Celebrex so I am sure that has a lot to do with my pain being under control. Someone had mentioned a rollabout type of chair that allowed a person to bend the knee of the bad foot and kind of scoot with the other. I called a few medical equipment stores and they had never heard of it. If anyone has any info on this type of chair please let me know. I will keep my progress updated in case their is someone out there about to have it done. I know this message board was very helpful to me. thank you everyone.

Re: post surgery news

Donna Y. on 2/06/01 at 21:19 (038319)

Marie,

It is so good to hear that everything is going well for you. I hope your recovery will go smoothly and look forward to hearing reports from yet another person who's been through this surgery. Thank you so much for your post.

Donna Y.

Kay S on 2/07/01 at 08:52 (038341)

It is called a rollabout. Email ricardotech@earthlink.net''>'ricardotech@earthlink.net' and he can help you find this.
Kay

KellyD on 2/07/01 at 09:29 (038344)

Marie -

You don't necessarily need a special piece of equipment - my husband went to Target and bought an inexpensive rolling office chair. I used it through 3 surgeries - and we still use it in our home office! If you've already had surgery, I wouldn't wait on ordering something - this will give you back your mobility immediately.

marie r on 2/09/01 at 11:04 (038533)

Hi everyone, well this is day 4 post surgery. Everything has gone pretty well with the exception of trying to get around. Last night I fell and that really took a toll on me. I am now hurting where I was not before.I go back Monday for my post op appointment. Up until last night I was pretty much pain free of course no weight bearing yet. I just got a rolling chair and that is much better than crutches. I just can not get use to the crutches. I don't know what I will do when I have to go out though. I am really pleased so far with the surgery although this is a little early to tell. I guess I will know better when it is time to put weight on it. I hope this coming week I will start to feel like doing something besides sleeping. It seems like I don't have much strength. I feel kind of weak. I am sure falling did not help. Thanks for the info on the rollabout and rolling chair.

Ellen W on 2/09/01 at 11:33 (038536)

My complete sympathy to you. I can remember falling on crutches--it happens so quickly, and yet at the same time you're going down, you know exactly what's about to happen and the fall seems like it takes forever. Thank god you didn't break anything. It's very hard to get the feel of crutches, and hard to go any distance on them. When you are able to go to PT, you might try to get another lesson or two on using them--they are useful, and are easier to get around on when you go to partial weight bearing.

Ellen

KellyD on 2/09/01 at 13:38 (038553)

Marie - what you're feeling is completely normal. I've had 3 foot surgeries, and it seems like having a foot operated on would be so minor, but something just really takes it out of you. I haven't decided if it is the anesthesia, your body concentrating on healing, or what. As for the crutches, they require a tremendous amount of upper body strength, which many women don't have. So using them will also tax your energy level. You will get stronger as you use them more, but it's always hard. Once you can put more weight on your foot, you will be able to use a cane instead - which is much easier. But don't throw out the crutches, you will probably want to use them for times when you need to be on your feet for longer than the amount of time authorized depending on your healing stage, and they're great for that. In between my 2nd and 3rd surgery I started lifting weights (since I was limited on aerobic activity), and that made a HUGE difference in using the crutches. It's too late for you - but for anyone else reading this and contemplating surgery - start now! Finally, get off the pain killers you've been taking - that will make a big difference in how you feel both mentally and physically. At this stage you shouldn't really need them (maybe at night), but sometimes we are so afraid it will hurt if we stop taking them, that we take them when it's not necessary - and you just feel dopey all the time. I say this because some of them are actually depressants - as if you don't already feel down enough about the whole situation! One last suggestion (I know this is too long), but if you live someplace with a moderate temperature, you can rent a wheel chair and have a spouse/friend/neighbor take you for the occasional stroll around the neighborhood. It made a big difference for me to get out of the house and get some fresh air. Hope you heal quickly - my surgery was 5 months ago - and it was a breeze.

Donna Y. on 2/06/01 at 21:19 (038319)

Marie,

It is so good to hear that everything is going well for you. I hope your recovery will go smoothly and look forward to hearing reports from yet another person who's been through this surgery. Thank you so much for your post.

Donna Y.

Kay S on 2/07/01 at 08:52 (038341)

It is called a rollabout. Email ricardotech@earthlink.net''>'ricardotech@earthlink.net' and he can help you find this.
Kay

KellyD on 2/07/01 at 09:29 (038344)

Marie -

You don't necessarily need a special piece of equipment - my husband went to Target and bought an inexpensive rolling office chair. I used it through 3 surgeries - and we still use it in our home office! If you've already had surgery, I wouldn't wait on ordering something - this will give you back your mobility immediately.

marie r on 2/09/01 at 11:04 (038533)

Hi everyone, well this is day 4 post surgery. Everything has gone pretty well with the exception of trying to get around. Last night I fell and that really took a toll on me. I am now hurting where I was not before.I go back Monday for my post op appointment. Up until last night I was pretty much pain free of course no weight bearing yet. I just got a rolling chair and that is much better than crutches. I just can not get use to the crutches. I don't know what I will do when I have to go out though. I am really pleased so far with the surgery although this is a little early to tell. I guess I will know better when it is time to put weight on it. I hope this coming week I will start to feel like doing something besides sleeping. It seems like I don't have much strength. I feel kind of weak. I am sure falling did not help. Thanks for the info on the rollabout and rolling chair.

Ellen W on 2/09/01 at 11:33 (038536)

My complete sympathy to you. I can remember falling on crutches--it happens so quickly, and yet at the same time you're going down, you know exactly what's about to happen and the fall seems like it takes forever. Thank god you didn't break anything. It's very hard to get the feel of crutches, and hard to go any distance on them. When you are able to go to PT, you might try to get another lesson or two on using them--they are useful, and are easier to get around on when you go to partial weight bearing.

Ellen

KellyD on 2/09/01 at 13:38 (038553)

Marie - what you're feeling is completely normal. I've had 3 foot surgeries, and it seems like having a foot operated on would be so minor, but something just really takes it out of you. I haven't decided if it is the anesthesia, your body concentrating on healing, or what. As for the crutches, they require a tremendous amount of upper body strength, which many women don't have. So using them will also tax your energy level. You will get stronger as you use them more, but it's always hard. Once you can put more weight on your foot, you will be able to use a cane instead - which is much easier. But don't throw out the crutches, you will probably want to use them for times when you need to be on your feet for longer than the amount of time authorized depending on your healing stage, and they're great for that. In between my 2nd and 3rd surgery I started lifting weights (since I was limited on aerobic activity), and that made a HUGE difference in using the crutches. It's too late for you - but for anyone else reading this and contemplating surgery - start now! Finally, get off the pain killers you've been taking - that will make a big difference in how you feel both mentally and physically. At this stage you shouldn't really need them (maybe at night), but sometimes we are so afraid it will hurt if we stop taking them, that we take them when it's not necessary - and you just feel dopey all the time. I say this because some of them are actually depressants - as if you don't already feel down enough about the whole situation! One last suggestion (I know this is too long), but if you live someplace with a moderate temperature, you can rent a wheel chair and have a spouse/friend/neighbor take you for the occasional stroll around the neighborhood. It made a big difference for me to get out of the house and get some fresh air. Hope you heal quickly - my surgery was 5 months ago - and it was a breeze.