Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spurs

Posted by Sarah M. on 2/07/01 at 18:07 (038375)

I have been to the doctor for my heel spurs. I have had 2 injections of corizone in my right heel. It is feeling better on the inside of my foot
however, the outside of my foot still is very painful. I now have pain going down to my small toe. I do exercises 3 to 4x's daily and use ice packs at night. I bought some good arch supporters because I have a very
high arch. I am also on Arthrotech 75 mgs. 2x's a day for arthristis so I do not feel I should change my medication.
Do you have any suggestions on what I can do at this point?

Thank you,
Sarah

Re: Heel Spurs

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/07/01 at 19:38 (038384)

I have found this to be fairly common to have pain on the outside of the foot and sometimes at the base of what is called the 5th metatarsal bone.
This is the one that sticks out and where the peroneal brevis tendon attaches.

The following is what works in my hands. An Unna boot casting with three inch elastoplast. Hot soaks right thru the bandage. Sometimes an additional injection of steriod either in the lateral aspect from the lateral side or if it is at the peroneal brevis insertion. The unna boot part of the treatment is important. It is also possible that the stretching is aggravating this problem. Hope this is helpful

Marjorie on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043757)

I have really bad spurs on my left heel. Please tell me in English just exactly what is required. My family physician says there is nothing that can be done for this. I am a 62 year old woman and work for lawyers. I am constantly running up and down the stairs and suffer very much from pain. Please tell me in lay terms just exactly what I can do to relieve my poor weary hurt feet.

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/07/01 at 19:38 (038384)

I have found this to be fairly common to have pain on the outside of the foot and sometimes at the base of what is called the 5th metatarsal bone.
This is the one that sticks out and where the peroneal brevis tendon attaches.

The following is what works in my hands. An Unna boot casting with three inch elastoplast. Hot soaks right thru the bandage. Sometimes an additional injection of steriod either in the lateral aspect from the lateral side or if it is at the peroneal brevis insertion. The unna boot part of the treatment is important. It is also possible that the stretching is aggravating this problem. Hope this is helpful

Marjorie on 4/05/01 at hrmin (043757)

I have really bad spurs on my left heel. Please tell me in English just exactly what is required. My family physician says there is nothing that can be done for this. I am a 62 year old woman and work for lawyers. I am constantly running up and down the stairs and suffer very much from pain. Please tell me in lay terms just exactly what I can do to relieve my poor weary hurt feet.