Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis - my story

Posted by Ian B on 2/08/01 at 05:01 (038417)

I live in England. In October 2000 my family and I had a two week holiday in Florida. Halfway through I noticed pain in my left heel (only) as if it was bruised whenever I got out of bed for nightly excursions or got up in the morning which caused me to hobble for a while until it wore off when I could walk normally. I put it down to walking around Disneyland all day each day of the holiday and self-diagnosed a stress-bruise (if there is such a thing) which would eventually wear off. However it gradually got worse until, back in England, it was very painful for me to walk altogether although I rested up for weeks. I bought moulded inserts for my shoes called Orthaheel which had a good medial arch support and a small softer blue spot in the heel. These afforded some initial relief but after walking any distance the pain was back in its intensity. I went to my doctor who diagnosed plantar fasciitis and recommended ibrobrufen as an anti-inflammatory and pain killer. My condition did not improve and I am now due to see a podiatrist. In the meantime, in desperation, I purchased a pair of silicone heel inserts called ViscoSpot over the Net from USA. I put these in my shoes instead of the Orthaheels and once again had initial relief but again after walking any real distance the pain returned. Today I thought I would use both together. I put the Orthaheels in first then the Viscospot heels on top. I can truly say that I walked perfectly normally for the first time since last October. I was waiting for the pain which did'nt come and I walked a fair distance. It's early days yet and when I got home and took my shoes off I did feel a dull ache on the hard floor but nothing like I had got used to expecting. Although I have had to name products to give my story I amd sure similar articles are made by other manufacturers.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - my story

Scott R on 2/08/01 at 09:04 (038427)

The extra height of the combined heel pads is compensating for lack of flexibility in your calf muscles. You need to stretch your calf muscles 4 times a day.

Steve P on 2/08/01 at 18:39 (038465)

Ian -- Greetings. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you read the PF Book on this website before your Pod visit. I suggest taking a checklist with you to the appointment. Ask your doc about physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication, use of nightsplint, exercises, icing, massage, possible orthotics, etc. Be sure you leave with a comprehensive treatment plan.

regards..........Steve

Ian B on 2/09/01 at 05:42 (038507)

Dear Scott and Steve
Thankyou both for your kind followups. I am pleased to say that the Orthaheels and Viscospot are still allowing me pain-free walking for the second day. So good that I am wondering if I am coincidentally getting better. The Orthaheel seems to be more of a medial arch support than a heel cushion. It is not a complete insert and stops short about the ball of my foot having tapered down to about 'wafer' thin at that point. I have since noticed that Orthaheel have a website. It seems to be an Australian product although I bought mine in a shop in England. The heel cushion is really the Viscospot (the US product) which is very soft and just covers the heel area with a slight rise on the medial arch side. Nevertheless I have taken all your helpful suggestions on board for which I am very grateful and thankyou for your time.

Donna on 2/14/01 at 22:25 (039013)

I've had PF for several years. I'm convinced that lots of stretching is the key and I'm going to invest in some new night splints. Has anyone head of Ossatron a new shock treatment being approved by the FDA. Very expensive according to this web site. $5,000, two treatments necessary & in Canada $1,500. Let me know

Barbara TX on 2/16/01 at 10:23 (039139)

Click on the ESWT link to learn more about shockwave therapy and where it is available. Hope it helps! B.

Ian B on 2/17/01 at 09:40 (039248)

Thankyou Donna and Barbara for your helpful responses. I have had PF in my left heel for about four months now and was walking about (when I was able to) as if I had a wooden leg. Because of this my left calf muscle did seem to seize up and stretching has helped it. Furthermore although it seems too good to be true I have had pain free walking since I placed the silicone Viscospot heel pads on top of the Orthaheel inserts which I mentioned in my previous posting. Since then I have invested in a pair of Powerstepss (which arrived today)which seem to be similar to Orthaheels in the arch support but they don't have the little soft spot in the heel and are a full shoe length insert. They could have the same effect as Orthaheel/Viscospot when combined with Viscospot. I also have to say they are more expensive than Orthaheel. The lack of pain made me think I was getting better but I still get pain when I take the shoes with the Viscospot/Orthoheels off and initially put weight on my heel. I appreciate that what has worked for me may not necessarily work for everyone. Ian B.

Scott R on 2/08/01 at 09:04 (038427)

The extra height of the combined heel pads is compensating for lack of flexibility in your calf muscles. You need to stretch your calf muscles 4 times a day.

Steve P on 2/08/01 at 18:39 (038465)

Ian -- Greetings. If you haven't done so already, I suggest you read the PF Book on this website before your Pod visit. I suggest taking a checklist with you to the appointment. Ask your doc about physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medication, use of nightsplint, exercises, icing, massage, possible orthotics, etc. Be sure you leave with a comprehensive treatment plan.

regards..........Steve

Ian B on 2/09/01 at 05:42 (038507)

Dear Scott and Steve
Thankyou both for your kind followups. I am pleased to say that the Orthaheels and Viscospot are still allowing me pain-free walking for the second day. So good that I am wondering if I am coincidentally getting better. The Orthaheel seems to be more of a medial arch support than a heel cushion. It is not a complete insert and stops short about the ball of my foot having tapered down to about 'wafer' thin at that point. I have since noticed that Orthaheel have a website. It seems to be an Australian product although I bought mine in a shop in England. The heel cushion is really the Viscospot (the US product) which is very soft and just covers the heel area with a slight rise on the medial arch side. Nevertheless I have taken all your helpful suggestions on board for which I am very grateful and thankyou for your time.

Donna on 2/14/01 at 22:25 (039013)

I've had PF for several years. I'm convinced that lots of stretching is the key and I'm going to invest in some new night splints. Has anyone head of Ossatron a new shock treatment being approved by the FDA. Very expensive according to this web site. $5,000, two treatments necessary & in Canada $1,500. Let me know

Barbara TX on 2/16/01 at 10:23 (039139)

Click on the ESWT link to learn more about shockwave therapy and where it is available. Hope it helps! B.

Ian B on 2/17/01 at 09:40 (039248)

Thankyou Donna and Barbara for your helpful responses. I have had PF in my left heel for about four months now and was walking about (when I was able to) as if I had a wooden leg. Because of this my left calf muscle did seem to seize up and stretching has helped it. Furthermore although it seems too good to be true I have had pain free walking since I placed the silicone Viscospot heel pads on top of the Orthaheel inserts which I mentioned in my previous posting. Since then I have invested in a pair of Powerstepss (which arrived today)which seem to be similar to Orthaheels in the arch support but they don't have the little soft spot in the heel and are a full shoe length insert. They could have the same effect as Orthaheel/Viscospot when combined with Viscospot. I also have to say they are more expensive than Orthaheel. The lack of pain made me think I was getting better but I still get pain when I take the shoes with the Viscospot/Orthoheels off and initially put weight on my heel. I appreciate that what has worked for me may not necessarily work for everyone. Ian B.